Pointers for UPS customers accessing this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First, welcome to the Brown Cafe.

This is the most unique site designed for mainly UPS employees to exchange information, learn new techniques about their job, methods in dealing with management or job stresses, or just an area to kick back and sound off. At times it might not be something you want your young children to access. But usually it is a pretty informative site. I would rate it between G and PG:wink2:.

There are a lot of abbreviations and acronyms that UPS personnel use to communicate. Much like the military. Some are easy, some not.

If you are looking for information about a package, the best place is the ups website. That would be the first place to start. After that, while we are not set up for it here, we have been able on occasion to help.

But we need a tracking number. That number, starting with a 1Z is what identifies your single package from the tens of millions in our system. And for all its short comings, it really is an amazing system. If you feel uncomfortable posting it in public, you can either send it to one of the mods or senior members of this forum via the private message system on this site. As UPS employees, we enjoy helping customers, you are the lifeblood of our company. As some have said, it is a privilege to help you.

Now, at times we understand we have dropped the ball. For that we apologize in advance. Things happen. I have had packages lost in the UPS system for months without an explanation from UPS. I suspect I know what the problems were, but nothing official from UPS. And as a customer, I understand the frustration.

There have been times where customers have posted here either with great anger, or with faulty information and statements. Those will not get you much help. We need the facts as they are, not as you want them to be, or think they are. The more precise information you provide to us, the more intelligent the responses will be.

And as always, thank you for trusting UPS(and ultimately us) with your delivery needs. We do pride ourselves in being the over all best at what we do. A pride that runs deep.

Best Regards

Daniel

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Let me add several small details I forgot to mention.

Please remember one thing. For the most part the posters here have worked 9-14 hours trying to live up to our promise to you. If they are posting, they are off, and on their own time, wanting to unwind. So it might take several readers to your post before one responds.

Enjoy your visit.

Best Regards

Daniel

Disclaimer: This is not an official UPS website. UPS does not own, contribute to the upkeep or moderation of this site. Views expressed on this site are not necessarily the views of UPS or the Brown Café, its management or owners. While the board is moderated lightly, sometimes it can resemble a free-for-all. It helps with keeping our sanity :wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
While we do our very best to get your pkgs to you there are times when it is just not possible. Due to mgt decision, weather, DOT regulations (which we have to follow to the letter just as a commercial truck driver has to), or other reasons. We are allowed only 11 hrs on the road delivering to you, our customer.

We are not mind readers and the more info you can post the easier it will be to help. And speaking of posting, please feel free to start a new thread to ask a question. We would like to keep this thread as consice as possible so as to get you the best info possible.

General rule of thumb is Business first, residential last. NDA has priority overall. We are required (by law in some states) to take our lunches, so if you see your driver not moving, the driver is not necessarily sitting and waiting for you to come and pick up your pkg. Though many drivers would willingly take a few minutes to give you that pkg, lunch and breaks are the only time we get to ourselves.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dill

You bring up something else that most don't think about.

FedEx is the closest business that we have that compares to what we do. The postal service is quite a bit different. They deliver your mail and boxes to your mail box, in many cases that can be several hundred yards to a mile or more from where we leave your packages. The mail man hardly ever leaves the roadway. UPS policy says we are to deliver your package to your home and out of sight. IF your drive is hard to traverse, on bad days, you might find a delay in getting your package.

Also, on days where the weather is really bad, or has been, the UPS driver has to make some tough choices. Some are made for him by management. But in some cases, we have to decide what gets delivered and what has to wait. Not something we enjoy, but sometimes we still have to do it.

Think of an extreme example.

Boat loaded with passengers going down. Only enough room on the chopper for 5-6 max, but 15 on board the boat. Someone has to take charge and decide who goes and lives and who stays and dies. Not a pleasant job, but it has to be done.

When we decide what we deliver or not, we usually try to maximize the deliveries. Better to get off 20 stops with 30 packages that are closer together than 5 stops and 5 packages that are spread out. And business stops and air stops do take priority to regular ground. Not that they are more important, but they do take priority.

And those decisions are not personal in nature. They are made solely because of economic reasons. It is better to bring back those 5 than 30, because the next day, there will be more, many more.

In my 30++ years at UPS, I might have known 2 or 3 drivers that actually didn't care about missing service to the customer. They are rare, and usually don't last long. The rest hate with a passion missing any delivery regardless of reason.

I hope this explains what goes on behind the scene and inside the truck at UPS.

d

jw55wags

I totally agree with what has been said by Danny and Dill. May I add one thing. A phone number as so we as drivers could try to connect with customer. I have in my thirty years when all Hell breaks loose have been able to call and meet or leave at a friends, family member or office packages that might not get there because of weather, etc,etc. That number becomes very inportant.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would add that this is an "internet fourm". Not everthing you read on here is Gospel. It normally is a good source of information but customers should use the UPS web site and 800 number first.

Leftinbuilding

UPS operating centers are designed for packages to be unloaded from the trailers (feeders) and directly loaded on the package cars for delivery the same day. We have NO storage facilities. In "Act of God" situations (hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, snow etc) it is sometimes impossible for our workers to even get to work, compounding the problem. If a trailer cannot be processed (unloaded from trailer; loaded into package cars) it will not be unloaded. UPS will move Heaven and Earth to find and deliver a pkg with life-saving contents. (I was involved in such an event. Very emotional.) But to expect us to unload 1000's of pckgs to find any single (non life-saving) box is unreasonable. Remember, many of these situations are fairly local. So, while your area may be paralyzed, the rest of the world is working as normal so even more pckgs are pouring into your area, adding to the backlog. It is a logistical nightmare. I would put UPS's commitment to service against anyones, in any industry, but some things are beyond our control. Rest assured, your pkg will be delivered as soon as conditions allow.

Johney

Just wanted to add that not all tracking numbers start with 1Z. The generic Air(ASD?) and Ground shipping(SDP?)forms have different numbers not starting with 1Z. I have also seen 3Z before though not alot but they are out there.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well, if this is to be a sticky, I would suggest that we add to the info for the customers, then put it all into one easy to read post. That way it does not go on and on with questions and answers that have already been addressed. After it is closed, only the mods can update the info.

To me, that would be better than 6 pages that most would never read.

But that is not up to me.

Also, I ahve been to websites where there are 25 stickies, and its a pain to get past them to the actual forum. So the less stickies the better.

JMHO

d

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I totally agree with what has been said by Danny and Dill. May I add one thing. A phone number as so we as drivers could try to connect with customer. I have in my thirty years when all Hell breaks loose have been able to call and meet or leave at a friends, family member or office packages that might not get there because of weather, etc,etc. That number becomes very inportant.

You are so right about a phone number. There is a field in Worldship, UPS Internet & many other shipping systems for the phone number. Some drivers can also look at many labels and find a valid phone number imbedded on the label somewhere. I'm thinking of JC Penney, Amazon, Cabella's, Avon to name a few.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Brown

A stickie is what you see as the first two postings on this section of the forum. They remain at the top no matter what else gets posted.

Sort of stuck at the top, hence stickie, as in stickie notes.

As for someone reading it or not, who knows.

d

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Please have a clearly posted address that is large enough to read from the street.It is a law to have your address up for emergency services. Keep long driveways plowed along with the sidewalk. Don't tie your dog up on the front porch and expect us to get to the front door. Having your phone number is about the best advice so far since shippers can make mistakes on the address label and if weather or some other reason keeps us from getting to you. Most everyone carries a cell phone and would call to make arrangements to get you your package.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Please have a clearly posted address that is large enough to read from the street.It is a law to have your address up for emergency services. Keep long driveways plowed along with the sidewalk. Don't tie your dog up on the front porch and expect us to get to the front door. Having your phone number is about the best advice so far since shippers can make mistakes on the address label and if weather or some other reason keeps us from getting to you. Most everyone carries a cell phone and would call to make arrangements to get you your package.
And to add to this............please post it so it can be clearly seen at night. The green reflective numbers are by far the best. And also post it on your mail box as this can help narrow down what driveway is yours.

Last edited:

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
And to add to this............please post it so it can be clearly seen at night. And also post it on your mail box as this can help narrow down what driveway is yours.
I've often told cust. that I'm glad I wasn't an ambulance because I drove by once as you have no number on your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.