policy on reporting a road call

Integrity

Binge Poster
The definition of a Breakdown is stated clearly on the I-gate. In the case of a Center swapping out a car, that is not a breakdown. But if any Automotive personnel are dispatched, or a outside vendor, then it is a breakdown. I am sure that there are people who don't report them as they should. Just like anything else, it can be frustrating if you are doing it right when other people aren't. My opinion, people that hide them, or code them incorrectly to make it look better are asking for trouble.
Alexcross774,

Since it is on I-gate there is obviously Corporate policy or procedure that establishes what a breakdown is and how it is to be recorded.

One can see why this is needed corporately so that fair evaluation of the various autoshops around the company can be achieved by higher level management.

Trying to avoid the reporting of true breakdown seriously compromises the Integrity of the entire automotive department at UPS.

This is cheating and if it is happening then those doing it should be given the chance to change to do it the right way or they should be fired if they refuse to change.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
If you wish to have Mechanic86 answer a specific question you should send him a PM rather than post your question here.
UpstateNYUPSer,

Thank you for you counsel.

I am aware of the PM feature and I do use it when I choose.

If you understood it correctly you would have recognized the purpose of the post.

There is much harassment, bullying and basic useless, foolish statements on the BC that would be avoided if some people just minded there own business in discussion threads.

I know that comes with the territory but if one statement made might help in some small way to improve the Integrity of the posts then Integrity will make those statements when the Spirit leads.

Sincerely,
I

PS So as to not disrupt the topic of this thread I tried to PM this to you, but for some reason I am blocked from having a private conversation with you. Do you know anything about this?

What if I have a specific question for you that I don't want in the public forum? I can't PM this as you suggested.

UPSmechanicinblue

The definition of a Breakdown is stated clearly on the I-gate. In the case of a Center swapping out a car, that is not a breakdown. But if any Automotive personnel are dispatched, or a outside vendor, then it is a breakdown. I am sure that there are people who don't report them as they should. Just like anything else, it can be frustrating if you are doing it right when other people aren't. My opinion, people that hide them, or code them incorrectly to make it look better are asking for trouble.

I was not aware of anything on the I-gate- I was told a car has to complete the day under it's own power, no money spent for anything besides fuel,( example driver has to buy engine oil or antifreeze to due to problem it's a road call) or have any outside repair done to keep the car in service. These must be reported also. So are you saying you can send a supervisor out to swap a car to prevent a road call? Doesn't seem same rules apply to all centers.

UPSmechanicinblue

Mechanic86,

What does the car day numbers mean to you as a UPS mechanic?

Please do not answer this if you are not Mechanic86. Thank You.

Sincerely,
I

car days per road call is a way to monitor the mechanics performance, If you have low car days per road call (high amount of break downs) usually causes and audit and review of your PMI methods etc. Each time a car goes on the road you get one car day. This is also on the managers balance score card so does effect his pay I'm sure.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, I have specifically added your name to my "non-PM" list.
UpstateNYUPSer,

Why have you added Integrity specifically to your "non-PM" list?

Please if you are not UpstateNYUPSer please to not answer this question as it is specific to him.

Sincerely,
I

PS I would have followed your previous counsel with this question, but for obvious reasons I could not.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I was not aware of anything on the I-gate- I was told a car has to complete the day under it's own power, no money spent for anything besides fuel,( example driver has to buy engine oil or antifreeze to due to problem it's a road call) or have any outside repair done to keep the car in service. These must be reported also. So are you saying you can send a supervisor out to swap a car to prevent a road call? Doesn't seem same rules apply to all centers.
UPSmechanicinblue,

There can be no Integrity in this performance measurement if it is not done consistently in all centers.

Sincerely,
I

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
E-brake cable broke on a 4 speed. Was told to find a brick or rock and when I stopped, leave it in gear and chock the wheels.

Had about 50 residential stops left.

Edit. I got a "Road Call Eliminator" shirt from the shop the next day.
If you would have had a rollaway due to illegally operating a commercial vehicle without an e-brake, you would have gotten a "terminated driver" shirt from your management team the next day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
car days per road call is a way to monitor the mechanics performance, If you have low car days per road call (high amount of break downs) usually causes and audit and review of your PMI methods etc. Each time a car goes on the road you get one car day. This is also on the managers balance score card so does effect his pay I'm sure.
Is the mechanic who maintains a fleet comprised of 20+ year old cars with 400,000+ miles on them held to the same standards as the mechanic whose fleet is all late model and low mileage?