policy on reporting a road call

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you would have had a rollaway due to illegally operating a commercial vehicle without an e-brake, you would have gotten a "terminated driver" shirt from your management team the next day.
Nope.

The e-brake was set as I exited the vehicle to make the delivery. It must have broken the cable as I was on my way up to the house to deliver the package.

Equipment malfunction caused the rollaway.

You don't know very much, do you?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Nope.

The e-brake was set as I exited the vehicle to make the delivery. It must have broken the cable as I was on my way up to the house to deliver the package.

Mugarolla,

If it were true it would be one thing.

If it were untrue then it would another.

Someone who would make this claim if it were untrue and they knew it, would have a serious Integrity problem.

Sincerely,
I

T

Turdferguson

That sounds suspiciously like a threat. Isn't that a violation of the T.O.S?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mugarolla,

If it were true it would be one thing.

If it were untrue then it would another.

Someone who would make this claim if it were untrue and they knew it, would have a serious Integrity problem.

Sincerely,
I
Only someone named Integrity has issues with integrity.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I was not aware of anything on the I-gate- I was told a car has to complete the day under it's own power, no money spent for anything besides fuel,( example driver has to buy engine oil or antifreeze to due to problem it's a road call) or have any outside repair done to keep the car in service. These must be reported also. So are you saying you can send a supervisor out to swap a car to prevent a road call? Doesn't seem same rules apply to all centers.
Provided the Supervisor is not from Automotive, then yes they can swap the car.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Nope.

You said in your earlier post that the cable broke and you called in and were told to use a rock or piece of wood as a wheel chock every time you parked.

Once you are aware of the equipment malfunction (which you were) then you are liable for the consequences of continuing to use that equipment.

You dont know very much, do you?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You said in your earlier post that the cable broke and you called in and were told to use a rock or piece of wood as a wheel chock every time you parked.

Once you are aware of the equipment malfunction (which you were) then you are liable for the consequences of continuing to use that equipment.

You dont know very much, do you?
The call never happened if the truck rolled away.

Neither the mechanic, center manager or I would know anything about a phone call.

I do admit though, that this was a while back and would not happen today.

I don't know anything about a phone call, do you?

UPSmechanicinblue

Is the mechanic who maintains a fleet comprised of 20+ year old cars with 400,000+ miles on them held to the same standards as the mechanic whose fleet is all late model and low mileage?

yes, sad part is also if you have a fleet like mine that a lot of cars run 150 plus miles a day i am also same standard as some one who has a bunch of in town cars that may only run 50 or less. We only get a car day each time the car is used whether it's used 1 mile or 200.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Mechanic86,

What does the car day numbers mean to you as a UPS mechanic?

Please do not answer this if you are not Mechanic86. Thank You.

Sincerely,
I

To me as a UPS mechanic, not too much. It's basically just an indicator as to how well my fleet is performing this month/year in regards to breakdowns.

dragracer66

In all reality who cares about there numbers. The reporting process is wrong anyway. It should only be charged to the mechanic if he or she worked on it the night before and it broke down for that repair or if was pmi'ed recently and something was missed. Road calls shouldn't be charged to us if its a driver fault (i.e. flat due to curbing, accident, or a driver just beating the crap out of the truck). The whole reporting system is bad and needs to be changed, but it never will....

Integrity

Binge Poster

Neither the mechanic, center manager or I would know anything about a phone call.

Mugarolla,

Very dishonest!

Sincerely,
I

soberups

If the truck rolls away and someone gets injured or killed, you are absolutely correct. The call would "never have happened" and you would be the one getting terminated for gross negligence.

I have MgGuyvered some stuff in my day in order to avoid a road call or a tow, but if an emergency brake ever malfunctions on me there is no way in hell I will drive the vehicle until its fixed properly.

What'dyabringmetoday???

If the truck rolls away and someone gets injured or killed, you are absolutely correct. The call would "never have happened" and you would be the one getting terminated for gross negligence.

I have MgGuyvered some stuff in my day in order to avoid a road call or a tow, but if an emergency brake ever malfunctions on me there is no way in hell I will drive the vehicle until its fixed properly.
I am curious if your emergency brakes work on all your personal vehicles. This is not intended to start an argument as I am fairly certain you don't card much for me. I am only assuming you would follow the same standards at home. And yes- all of my personal vehicles have functioning emergency brakes that get used every time that I get out of the vehicle.

soberups

I am curious if your emergency brakes work on all your personal vehicles. This is not intended to start an argument as I am fairly certain you don't card much for me. I am only assuming you would follow the same standards at home. And yes- all of my personal vehicles have functioning emergency brakes that get used every time that I get out of the vehicle.

1. I have no problem with you or anything you have posted.

2. Yes, the emergency brakes on all 3 of my personal vehicles are in working order.

3. I wont operate an unsafe or illegal vehicle, whether its mine or UPS's.

4. There are minor defects that can be lived with temporarily, but an inoperable emergency brake isnt one of them. Its called an "emergency" brake for a REASON.

soberups

I had a low headlight beam burn out on me once, during peak. It was a terribly foggy day, and dark by 4:30. My high beams functioned, but the glare they made on the fog blinded both me and oncoming traffic. Only one low beam meant I was blind going into turns on the burned out side. I was too far away from the nearest auto parts store to buy a new headlight and I didnt want to call in for a tow truck....so I covered the top half of both headlights with duct tape and finished the route with my high beams on.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I would not be getting fired. Equipment malfunction. E-brake cable broke after I set it as I was walking up to the house. Remember?

And like I said, this was in the mid nineties. We did a lot of :censored2: back then that we would not even think about doing now.

We didn't have jump seats. Jumpers and OJS sups stood in the bulkhead door opening.

And yes, my E-brake works on my pickup. But I only set it once every 6 months to keep the cable from locking up.

And no, I did not stop on a hill. Only on level ground. I could have left it in neutral and it would not have rolled. I may be dumb but I'm not stupid.:cool: