policy on reporting a road call

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
A serious rollaway accident caused by failure to set an emergency brake (or knowingly operating the vehicle without one) was a terminable offense in 1997 just like it would be today.

Sound like you're management.

A serious rollaway accident caused by an emergency brake failure was not a terminable offense in 1997 nor would it would be today.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sound like you're management.

A serious rollaway accident caused by an emergency brake failure was not a terminable offense in 1997 nor would it would be today.

Read much?

Sober clearly stated "failure to set the emergency brake" which you interpreted as "emergency brake failure". Clearly two different things and, yes, you will be fired for the former, not the latter.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Read much?

Sober clearly stated "failure to set the emergency brake" which you interpreted as "emergency brake failure". Clearly two different things and, yes, you will be fired for the former, not the latter.
Do you read much? Read the thread.

Sober was referring to my post about a broken E-brake and chocking the wheels.

He was referring to me not setting the E-brake because it was broken.

If I did not set the E-brake and the truck rolled away, yes, this is a dischargeable offense. If it is broken, how can you set it?

I acknowledged his point.

My point was that the E-brake cable broke after I set it as I was walking to the house to deliver the package.

My center manager, my mechanic and I would have no knowledge of the earlier phone call regarding the broken E-brake and the idea of chocking the wheels if something did happen.

And I also agreed with Sober that this would not happen today. Different times.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My point was that the E-brake cable broke after I set it as I was walking to the house to deliver the package.

Emergency brake cables dont snap while the package car is just sitting there. If a cable is frayed and going to snap, it will happen AS you are setting the brake, not afterwards.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Emergency brake cables dont snap while the package car is just sitting there. If a cable is frayed and going to snap, it will happen AS you are setting the brake, not afterwards.
No sir. It can break anytime there is tension on the cable.

Just ask UPSmechanicblue.

Edit. I could also assert that even if it did break as it was being set, I did not notice it. As we stop, we yank on the handle and it "locks" into the set position.

It is possible to have the cable break during this process and not realize it broke just as it locked into position.

I sure wouldn't want you on my side defending me against discipline. Sounds like you are on managements side looking to fire employees.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Edit. I could also assert that even if it did break as it was being set, I did not notice it. As we stop, we yank on the handle and it "locks" into the set position.

It is possible to have the cable break during this process and not realize it broke just as it locked into position.

I sure wouldn't want you on my side defending me against discipline. Sounds like you are on managements side looking to fire employees.

The cable is under maximum tension when the brake lever is half way between being engaged and disengaged. The slot in the lever where the cable attaches to acts as a cam, with the high point on the cam being halfway through the arc that the lever makes when pulled on.

If it snaps, its going to snap while you are setting the brake, and you will notice it because there will suddenly be zero tension on the lever and it will no longer remain in position.

The only "side" I am on is that of being honest and doing the safe and correct thing. Knowingly driving a UPS package car with an inoperable emergency brake is neither.

UPSmechanicinblue

Years ago on the older P50 P60 P80 P10 1984 and earlier had the a thinner cable that was in the park brake housing that would snap, this cable connected to a thicker one that connected to the handle. I'd say max pressure is when it's all the way applied. You can check this out by tightening the handle adjustment. it don't pull any easier before it;s applied completely or harder just half way. You just cant apply it if to tight. These smaller cables use to snap but I cannot recall if any did while parked or while being applied. They where just written up no park brake so I replaced the cable.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Years ago on the older P50 P60 P80 P10 1984 and earlier had the a thinner cable that was in the park brake housing that would snap, this cable connected to a thicker one that connected to the handle. I'd say max pressure is when it's all the way applied. You can check this out by tightening the handle adjustment. it don't pull any easier before it;s applied completely or harder just half way. You just cant apply it if to tight. These smaller cables use to snap but I cannot recall if any did while parked or while being applied. They where just written up no park brake so I replaced the cable.
Exactly. The cable is under max tension the whole time the E-brake is applied. A weak or frayed cable can break at anytime while under max tension, not just when it being placed under max tension.

I'll give you a quick example. I was stuck in traffic behind a semi that had its rear end stuck in a ditch. A tow truck hooked a cable from its boom to the rear of the trailer to raise it up and swing it out.

According to Sober, the only time this cable would break is when tension is first applied.

Incorrect. The tow truck lifted the rear of the trailer 2 feet off the ground. He let it sit for a few seconds to make sure it would hold before swinging it back onto the road.

The cable snapped before he started swinging the trailer.

The cable had lifted the trailer and held for over 4 seconds before it broke.

Just like the E-brake cable. You can apply full tension to the cable and it may not break while applying tension. But a weak cable can break at anytime while under tension.

The cable attached to the semi held under full tension for almost 4 seconds before breaking.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The cable is under maximum tension when the brake lever is half way between being engaged and disengaged. The slot in the lever where the cable attaches to acts as a cam, with the high point on the cam being halfway through the arc that the lever makes when pulled on.

If it snaps, its going to snap while you are setting the brake, and you will notice it because there will suddenly be zero tension on the lever and it will no longer remain in position.

The only "side" I am on is that of being honest and doing the safe and correct thing. Knowingly driving a UPS package car with an inoperable emergency brake is neither.
Wrong answer. The "side" you should be on is that of your fellow employees.

And I have said before, we did so much stuff in the late eighties and early nineties, with management's approval, that would get you fired today.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

You are also incorrect about max tension on the cable. With the handle halfway, there is only half as much tension on the cable compared to the locked position.

The handle pulls the cable tighter and tighter until the handle is locked. At this point, the cable is under max tension.
1427881411887.jpg

UPSmechanicinblue

why would a park park be under max tension half way then release some tension when it's fully applied?
You are also incorrect about max tension on the cable. With the handle halfway, there is only half as much tension on the cable compared to the locked position.

The handle pulls the cable tighter and tighter until the handle is locked. At this point, the cable is under max tension.View attachment 33633

wow!!! your stuck driving an old 1995 IHC P10? cable has to be tightest when fully applied, wouldn't the car want to role if it loosened a bit when fully applied?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
why would a park park be under max tension half way then release some tension when it's fully applied?

wow!!! your stuck driving an old 1995 IHC P10? cable has to be tightest when fully applied, wouldn't the car want to role if it loosened a bit when fully applied?
That's what I've been saying........Cable is at max tension when fully applied.

Someone did not want to believe.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

If left in neutral and if on a big enough hill, maybe.

You would be surprised how loose the E-brake cable could be and still hold the truck unless on a fairly steep hill.