Poll: Union or no Union?

Would you want to work for UPS without a union?

• Total voters

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Paying for health insurance isn't some magically obscure thing. It's actually pretty common outside the world of UPS. Not to mention I wouldn't hold my breathe. I'd be willing to bet good money hourlies will have to pay some out of pocket by the time you retire.

The pension system is dying. Look at the Central States pension. It's a disaster. Another piece that's going the way of the dodo bird. I asked in NF a couple weeks ago if guys were planning on having their pension when they retire and I got an overwhelming nope.

We don't do anything according to 99% of the site. I can do nothing for 10 hours Monday-Friday without complaining.

This is why, despite my best efforts to not care, I think you're an ass.

A nice ass, bu an ass none the less.

P700slave

My only two problems with our union are as follows. 1.) They support in great fashion the democrat party and there policies. 2.) They support planned parenthood. I find the latter appalling. While I do think they (the union) are a necessary part of my relationship with UPS, how do you handle those two issues if you don't support them?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
No union often works out at lots other places, but UPS is just in way too deep at this point to not have one now. I just wish ours would grow a set.

PT Car Washer

My only two problems with our union are as follows. 1.) They support in great fashion the democrat party and there policies. 2.) They support planned parenthood. I find the latter appalling. While I do think they (the union) are a necessary part of my relationship with UPS, how do you handle those two issues if you don't support them?
Quit and find a job you and your convictions can live with.

Faceplanted

Those damned planned parent hood and all that hiv testing and birth control they provide for people who couldn't afford it.

They are just like everything else in this world. With good comes what some would call "evil"

I'm also sick and tired of the excuse "most people don't have health care anyways" that's a sorry excuse. ups has always been industry leaders and we shouldn't look to everybody else for acceptable pay and insurance. It should be the other way around.

rod

Retired 22 years

How the hell does Planned Parenthood get brought into the subject? Talk about a one track mind.

rod

Retired 22 years
The only people that would go to the level of revolt no longer work here.

Too bad----------------how do some people on here think UPS got to be a great paying job with super benefits. Apparently they believe UPS just offered that out of the kindness of their heart. But now the writing is on the wall as all the perks are slowly disappearing as the hourly workforce no longer stands together. Its the Upstates of UPS and the thousands like him who just look out for #1 who will turn the company into just a brown fedex.

BrownBrokeDown

Paying for health insurance isn't some magically obscure thing. It's actually pretty common outside the world of UPS. Not to mention I wouldn't hold my breathe. I'd be willing to bet good money hourlies will have to pay some out of pocket by the time you retire.

The pension system is dying. Look at the Central States pension. It's a disaster. Another piece that's going the way of the dodo bird. I asked in NF a couple weeks ago if guys were planning on having their pension when they retire and I got an overwhelming nope.

We don't do anything according to 99% of the site. I can do nothing for 10 hours Monday-Friday without complaining.
1.) pretty common in corporated america as companies look to reduce costs of blue collar workers to inflate their ceo's pay and the numbers released to the stock market. Not only do they make us pay, they are cutting the quality of the insurance at the same time. common doesn't make it right.

2.)Multi-employer pensions are dying. Single employer pensions, profit-sharing, and ESOP's are only dying because corporations are discontinuing them so they can reduce costs of blue collar workers to inflate their ceo's pay and the numbers released to the stock market. This is at the same time they are reducing 401k match percentages (a lot are only matching 0.5% for every 1% you contribute now) and depressing wages.

3.)a large majority of the sups on my shift at my hub don't do a damn thing, and when they do, its usually the wrong thing. There is a couple that are good sups that know what they are doing. It's more of a guilt by association thing. There are a (very) few of you that are good sups. These kids they are making sups off the street with no UPS pt experience or supervisory (anywhere) experience, or the ones hired just after making pt seniority are not trained properly and seem to just not give a rats ass either.

Faceplanted

I wish the pension would go in the garbage and ups would instead offer some type of 401k matching. Not all of us are planning on working deep into our 50s. My years in toward my pension will possibly give me a few hundred a month and that will he after 15 or so full time years. I plan on being out of here sooner than later.

I would also love a pension buy out.

Gear

Parts on Order
Non Union predictions-

Non CDL drivers- $13-$15 an hour
CDL drivers------#17-$19 an hour
Mechanics------- $18-$23.50 an hour
Loaders----------minimum wage

Healthcare $100 a week premiums, higher copays and deductibles.
No pension.
401k company match at 2% of weekly pay

I think I will stick with the $34 an hour, excellent benefits, pension, vacation days, personal days, and what ever else we get.

Ms.PacMan

Non Union predictions-

Non CDL drivers- $13-$15 an hour
CDL drivers------#17-$19 an hour
Mechanics------- $18-$23.50 an hour
Loaders----------minimum wage

Healthcare $100 a week premiums, higher copays and deductibles.
No pension.
401k company match at 2% of weekly pay

I think I will stick with the $34 an hour, excellent benefits, pension, vacation days, personal days, and what ever else we get.
Funny thing is though, where I live there is the only non union General Mills plant in the US. Same schedules, same work environment, same mind numbing mundane factory job with mandatory OT but guess what? They have to pay them $6/hr. more than their union counterparts to hire and retain employees.

It would seem that not feeling as though one has job security comes at a price - for the company.

barnyard

KTM rider
They support in great fashion the democrat party and there policies.

You do know that without Democrats, there would be no unions at all, correct?? Republicans are the driving force behind the Right to Work movement and most, if not all union busting laws.

Why any union member would support a Republican is beyond me.