Poll: Union or no Union?

Would you want to work for UPS without a union?

• Total voters

rod

Retired 22 years
You do know that without Democrats, there would be no unions at all, correct?? Republicans are the driving force behind the Right to Work movement and most, if not all union busting laws.

Why any union member would support a Republican is beyond me.

I don't support anybody anymore. I'm still waiting for someone worthy of my support to come along. I'm not holding my breath.

P700slave

Quit and find a job you and your convictions can live with.

The republican party today is nothing what it once was. I am a proud conservative that does see a need for unions in certain industries. People should have a "right to work" without being forced to join one. This isn't Russia. We have liberty here. Learn your history. ALL of it. Not just the parts you have been taught to regurgitate.

I think the wage won't drop much if the union goes away. In my facility, $9.50/hr wasn't enough to keep a sufficient number of employees to run the place, so we decided to raise it to $11. Union or no, the company has no choice other than to pay a decent wage to get people to stay.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I think the wage won't drop much if the union goes away. In my facility, $9.50/hr wasn't enough to keep a sufficient number of employees to run the place, so we decided to raise it to $11. Union or no, the company has no choice other than to pay a decent wage to get people to stay.
Somehow, I don't see our medical benefits staying the same if the union goes bye bye.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree that the starting wage would most likely remain the same; however, the top out rate for FT drivers would most certainly go down, possibly by as much as $10/hr.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They already hire parolees fresh out of prison to be driver helpers...you honestly think they wouldn't hire illegals to unload trailers if they could?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The republican party today is nothing what it once was. I am a proud conservative that does see a need for unions in certain industries. People should have a "right to work" without being forced to join one. This isn't Russia. We have liberty here. Learn your history. ALL of it. Not just the parts you have been taught to regurgitate.

I agree completely that people shouldn't be forced to join unions. But RTW laws are purely designed to defund unions as opposed to giving workers a choice -- under RTW, workers are entitled to all the benefits union workers have, but without having to pay for them (their dues). They have the right to file grievances, have the union represent them and even the right to sue the union if they feel they weren't properly represented. It's completely indifferent from a Right To Watch TV law, in which you'd be able to order cable TV but not have to pay for it. Cable TV would gradually go away b/c there was no funding for it. This was the whole purpose of RTW.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They already hire parolees fresh out of prison to be driver helpers...you honestly think they wouldn't hire illegals to unload trailers if they could?
They might but the US Government takes a dim view on that.
I don't think the Teamsters would care as long as they paid dues and the Union got their healthcare and Pensions funding from UPS.

They might but the US Government takes a dim view on that.
I don't think the Teamsters would care as long as they paid dues and the Union got their healthcare and Pensions funding from UPS.
And as an illegal could never collect a pension or be covered by healthcare because they lied on their application.

Gear

Parts on Order
Funny thing is though, where I live there is the only non union General Mills plant in the US. Same schedules, same work environment, same mind numbing mundane factory job with mandatory OT but guess what? They have to pay them $6/hr. more than their union counterparts to hire and retain employees.

It would seem that not feeling as though one has job security comes at a price - for the company.

I worked for a company that owned 2 businesses. One union and the other non union. I was at the non union shop, all the work was the same just different locations. The union shop was paid more, had more vacation, personal days, holidays, and a pension. For years we just ignored the differences. We started winning dealer awards, while taking pay increase freezes and yearly benefit cost increases. It got to the point that managers timed people while they were going to the bathroom (no joke, this really happened) All this while the union shop won no awards and had yearly raises with no benefit changes. One day we had enough and called the local Teamsters and started the organizing process. It took almost 2 years to sign our first contract. The company fought it the entire time. With the Teamsters we received $1.50 raise, more vacation time, more personal days, more holidays, eliminated the low starting wages, breaks, overtime after 8 hours, and locked benefit cost for the duration on the contract. Plus a way to fight harassment with grievances. In my experience union is the way to go.

barnyard

KTM rider
I worked for a company that owned 2 businesses. One union and the other non union.

I used to fish with a guy that worked on the union side of a place that had union and non union locations. He actually drove by the non union shop on his commute. One of the managers asked him to transfer, he was a good guy, worked hard and all that. He said, "I will transfer as soon as it becomes a union shop. I refuse to work at the same company and do the same work for less. That is just stupid."

A couple of years later, the shop had a card signing campaign. The company fought it, gave people a small raise (not even a catch up raise), but it was enough that they rejected a union.

Bummed out the guy that I fished with.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Paying for health insurance isn't some magically obscure thing. It's actually pretty common outside the world of UPS. Not to mention I wouldn't hold my breathe. I'd be willing to bet good money hourlies will have to pay some out of pocket by the time you retire.

The pension system is dying. Look at the Central States pension. It's a disaster. Another piece that's going the way of the dodo bird. I asked in NF a couple weeks ago if guys were planning on having their pension when they retire and I got an overwhelming nope.

We don't do anything according to 99% of the site. I can do nothing for 10 hours Monday-Friday without complaining.
I feel no sympathy for you. No one twisted your arm to be management. As I have told many a PT Sup," I hate it for you,NOT!"

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Unfortunately this same crowd will trample one an other to vote for Hilary.........and nothing will change

Nah, I'd rather vote for the party that idolizes Ronald Reagan for destroying unions and pretend if UPS wasn't union, I'd be making $200K with UPS maxing out my 401K annually....