Poll: Union or no Union?

Would you want to work for UPS without a union?

• Total voters

rod

Retired 22 years
Nah, I'd rather vote for the party that idolizes Ronald Reagan for destroying unions and pretend if UPS wasn't union, I'd be making $200K with UPS maxing out my 401K annually....

I never cared for Ronald Ray-Gun either. I hate what he did to the Air Traffic Controllers Union. I'm strictly an independent voter who isn't afraid to cross party lines if I like a candidate. I'm also NOT a one issue voter. I'm not going to vote for a person just because they are pro-life or support the NRA. They have to support a variety of things I agree with. I always hated it when the Union informed us we HAD to support so and so and I disagreed with the other 99% of the stuff he supported. I never voted that way.

PT Car Washer

Unfortunately this same crowd will trample one an other to vote for Hilary.........and nothing will change
Bernie Sanders rally today downtown. Huge turn out. Don't think he has a chance but wouldn't you love to see the expressions on the faces of the tea baggers when there is a President Sanders.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I never cared for Ronald Ray-Gun either. I hate what he did to the Air Traffic Controllers Union. I'm strictly an independent voter who isn't afraid to cross party lines if I like a candidate. I'm also NOT a one issue voter. I'm not going to vote for a person just because they are pro-life or support the NRA. They have to support a variety of things I agree with. I always hated it when the Union informed us we HAD to support so and so and I disagreed with the other 99% of the stuff he supported. I never voted that way.

I'm no fan of either party but the Republicans clearly represent the interest of business owners, not the working man. Look at Michigan, Wisconsin, and now Illinois -- fed-up voters voted in right-wingers thinking the quality of their life would improve... and the first thing the Republicans did was pursue RTW & other legislation designed to hurt unions / make it more difficult to organize. And it will take years for the full effects of conservative judges & NLRB appointees... but they WILL happen.

And yet for some reason there's a group of people on here who believe they'd be better off if they weren't union/Republicans have no problem with their union because they work hard and dang namit they deserve to be among the 10% of wage earners (total compensation from a single employer places drivers in the top 10%) in the country.

herbigharo32

For part timers, the union is good for one thing, rather you join or not. They keep out the temporary employment services. Most warehouse jobs in the DFW area has in-house temp services. For example, FedEx used WesStaff Service back in 2004 having an office at the FedEx hub.

I'll now address how temp services are an absolute nightmare for both supervisors and grunts.

For supervisors, you will never know what help will show up. On one day, you may get 30 people show up for your belt while only needing 20. So you send 10 away with no work. The next day you may only have 10 people for your belt because those 10 people you sent away will not likely come back for work the next day. The other 10 may either get reassigned, terminated, or quit. I'm sorry to say UPS treats supervisors very badly as it is. Can't imagine what life would be like as a supervisor with a temp service in the house.

For grunts, you can and will be let go at anytime for any reason or no reason at all. One day, there will be no work. The next day, you could be stuck for 12 hours because very few workers are available. Keeping and maintaining a schedule outside of work will be impossible under these circumstances. What if you need a simple accommodation under ADA? You will be let go. Someone does not like you; you will be let go.

The question is should you join the union? If you are part time, probably not. There are very little language of protection addressing part timers to begin with. The number of combo jobs are fast disappearing so the ability to call a strike has all but diminished. If you are full time combo or driver, definitely yes. My personal decision to not join is over not getting 10 minute relief breaks when working more than 3 hours. It is purely a personal decision going back 16 years when working for Krogers under the United Food and Commercial Workers Union. I do not pay union dues when having to work without any kind of rest break. Should that change in the next contract or be updated in the supplement for the DFW Air Hub, I will certainly change my mind.

FYI, we are working 5 hours or more at the DFW Air Hub with NO :censored2:ING BREAKS!!! If you work at this hub, check the PCMs before signing. If they mention hydration, getting enough rest at night, nutrition, DO NOT SIGN!!

Browntown2014

You should always vote your wallet and in the case of if you are a union member that would be democrat. To vote republican is to cut your nose off to spite your face. Republicans hate unions. Hate hate hate hate.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The question is should you join the union? If you are part time, probably not. There are very little language of protection addressing part timers to begin with. The number of combo jobs are fast disappearing so the ability to call a strike has all but diminished.
I disagree. There is language, maybe not to your liking. I think the PT's are the least represented fiscally but PT's also have some of the best medical coverage around, for a PT job. That simply is not happening without collective bargaining. Also, Combo jobs are being created, you just need to be in the right place where they are created. Most of it is crummy politics, no doubt, but the job #'s are actually going up, not down.

As for your 10-minute break, I don't see it necessary, honestly. You can up and walk to the bathroom, get a bottle of water, whatever you wish. You are a grown man or woman (hopefully), take your breaks as you see fit.

fres431

I disagree. There is language, maybe not to your liking. I think the PT's are the least represented fiscally but PT's also have some of the best medical coverage around, for a PT job. That simply is not happening without collective bargaining. Also, Combo jobs are being created, you just need to be in the right place where they are created. Most of it is crummy politics, no doubt, but the job #'s are actually going up, not down.

As for your 10-minute break, I don't see it necessary, honestly. You can up and walk to the bathroom, get a bottle of water, whatever you wish. You are a grown man or woman (hopefully), take your breaks as you see fit.
So as a driver you don't need a break either then? You can use the customers bathroom and take a water bottle? You defense for not issuing a break is lame. If a break is agreed upon between union and company they should honor it. If not grieve it. Grieve it and have others sign it or ask that they be paid and ask for quick hearing if not demand penalty pay

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Everyone is talking about pensions and how good they are or going to be. Did you see what is happening to central states. I know the treasury said they can't cut peoples pension but central states is pretty much bankrupt in a few years. Truth is pensions aren't guaranteed anymore.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So as a driver you don't need a break either then? You can use the customers bathroom and take a water bottle? You defense for not issuing a break is lame. If a break is agreed upon between union and company they should honor it. If not grieve it. Grieve it and have others sign it or ask that they be paid and ask for quick hearing if not demand penalty pay
I am saying, for a 3 hour shift in an air hub, you should be able to get by with just a quick break or two through the shift. There is no contractual language mandating 10 minute breaks in at least one region (southeast?). I am not saying it is "right", but do you "need" to take ten consecutive minutes? I personally don't and I think most would get by.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Everyone is talking about pensions and how good they are or going to be. Did you see what is happening to central states. I know the treasury said they can't cut peoples pension but central states is pretty much bankrupt in a few years. Truth is pensions aren't guaranteed anymore.

Pensions never were guaranteed.

Jkloc420

Pensions never were guaranteed.

I know that is my point. Sometimes I ask myself if it would be better for them to do a match in 401k equilvant to your pension or just put the cash in there. I am only 36 right now and truthfully I have no clue if that pension is going to be there or if ups will even be in business still. Yes for being in the union ups isn't going to be able to compete when the minium wages start going up to 15 bucks an hour. The free healthcare is a good deal but you have to wait a year for it and young people that are single and aged 20-30 aren't thinking about the healthcare.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS is not going anywhere.

It would be better if they put the money that would be going toward your pension directly in to your 401k.

The pension should be just one part of your overall retirement income. You are 36----plenty of time to get that 401k where it needs to be before you retire.

Young people should be offered a higher wage in lieu of having healthcare.

Jkloc420

UPS is not going anywhere.

It would be better if they put the money that would be going toward your pension directly in to your 401k.

The pension should be just one part of your overall retirement income. You are 36----plenty of time to get that 401k where it needs to be before you retire.

Young people should be offered a higher wage in lieu of having healthcare.

I am still pissed we didn't get a catch up dollar since they raised starting pay. One of the reasons i voted no on the last contract.