Poor Amazon..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Packages = Union jobs
You really believe that?

When margins go from 15% to 3% costs must go down. These are the things that the company brings to the bargaining table.

The higher percentage of our packages that become Amazon the more concessions we will see come contract time.

Returntosender

Jet.com will become Amazon competitor. Next week Amazon prices should be interesting.

Jet is the brainchild of Marc Lore, the founder and former chief executive officer of Quidsi, a company best known for its most popular website, Diapers.com. He spent years competing with Amazon.com before getting clobbered in a price war and then, in 2010, selling out to the company for $550 million. Lore stayed on at Amazon for more than two years; now he’s preparing to assault it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-mans-company-now-hes-coming-for-them-correct

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Amazon is planning its own delivery service anyways with same-day shipping.
UPS losing Amazon volume is eventually going to be a reality.
We have to keep the shippers we have happy and get rid of the stupid dimensional rate charge.
I've heard a few people complain about it already and that's just from my route.
Stopping lost business to USPS should be a priority.

crow27

I loaded for amazon at one of their fulfillment centers, ups trailers were by far the majority used, and the most slammed every night.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Amazon is planning its own delivery service anyways with same-day shipping.
UPS losing Amazon volume is eventually going to be a reality.
We have to keep the shippers we have happy and get rid of the stupid dimensional rate charge.
I've heard a few people complain about it already and that's just from my route.
Stopping lost business to USPS should be a priority.
I'm all for dimensional shipping. Probably how it should of been done all along.

I think the rates need to be reconfigured and large shippers like Amazon shouldn't be exempt from them.

However it's the new future. USPS isn't going to be taking any large packages from us.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It does concern me that 40% or so of my daily stops are Amazon. How long can this last? I don't want that much dependence on a single company that can easily change the way they ship in a relatively short period of time.
I had to buy 2 items yesterday. One of them was not available locally at all. The other item was 50% more expensive locally than online. Both items were at least 20% cheaper on amazon than any other online site.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So you are saying it wouldn't be a good thing to get more volume from Amazon, which we could handle actually with some expanding we need need anyway, and provide more jobs for people just because you could care care less? Man, I'm glad you aren't in sales. Or maybe your are. They seem to be lacking lately.

And our fourth quarter wasn't the epic train wreck many in upper management would have you believe. It just wasn't.
No it wasn't. they still netted over $1.1B. They just hired a few too many seasonals, paid double time for the day after Thanksgiving and continue to flush money down the toilet on this thing called ORION.

And by the way, they make money on Amazon packages. Maybe not as much as other shippers due to the sheer volume of Amazon, but they still make money.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It does concern me that 40% or so of my daily stops are Amazon. How long can this last? I don't want that much dependence on a single company that can easily change the way they ship in a relatively short period of time.
UPS survived, and did very well before Amazon. Amazon added a lot of jobs, and I am grateful to see these jobs.

UPS did not need you before Amazon, and if they go away, UPS will no longer need you again. They will get by very well, with a smaller work force. Like it was in the days before Amazon.

Personally, I want them to stick around for many years to come so we can keep the jobs we have, and maybe even add more.