Poor Amazon..

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Amazon is planning its own delivery service anyways with same-day shipping.
UPS losing Amazon volume is eventually going to be a reality.
The same day shipping will only be offered in a few metro areas. The bulk of Amazon's deliveries will still have to be done by someone else. The only thing I realistically see them giving up is surepost. They'll bring it to the post office themselves.
We have to keep the shippers we have happy and get rid of the stupid dimensional rate charge.
I think we should keep it. We've actually brought back lost accounts in my center since dimensional shipping started.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I do believe UPS will be fine either way. With or without Amazon. Add jobs or cut jobs. Just like the sections on our shelves. It's about the stocks now. People are just dispensable now. Orion is the end game for ever going on strike. Any idiot can follow the list. Our world has been dumbed down.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I do believe UPS will be fine either way. With or without Amazon. Add jobs or cut jobs. Just like the sections on our shelves. It's about the stocks now. People are just dispensable now. Orion is the end game for ever going on strike. Any idiot can follow the list. Our world has been dumbed down.

PAS/EDD was the end game. Orion is just EDD with a mindset on mileage control.

wayfair

swollen member
Some shippers ARE customers.
It's not all about retail and online shopping. Shippers use UPS to send merchandise to their own stores from warehouses.
It was a good question though.

I know. I have an Autoparts warehouse pickup that sends parts all over to their other stores... they NDA the silliest things

Mack Grant

According to the FAA they can't fly their drones. Looks like job security to me!

The only drones that will ever exist at Amazon are the ones who use that ridiculous brown paper tape to secure package contents. Also, FYI the "powers that be" will review the current laws in one year and make adjustments as needed. This is due to the inexperience of flying drones in public airspaces outside of the Middle East etc...(100kts max for example).

But, no I don't think Amazon will be delivering parcels via drones in our lifetimes. The whole idea of drone delivery is absurd to any driver and was meant by Amazon as a marketing and diversionary tactic after the debacle of peak 2013.

Dub Brown Eye

Hearing rumors here in 710 last night about amazon totally switching from UPS as a whole. Not sure if its just rumors, but volume was way down, and a lot of route cuts (yes, I do know it was presidents day... ;) ). Manager said they are leaving UPS based on rate surcharges going forward. Explained it as if they are gonna keep guaranteeing delivery by xmas, the closer it comes to xmas, the higher the surcharge rate paid by amazon. Just curious if its rumors, or if anyone else has heard anything similar.

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
Hearing rumors here in 710 last night about amazon totally switching from UPS as a whole. Not sure if its just rumors, but volume was way down, and a lot of route cuts (yes, I do know it was presidents day... ;) ). Manager said they are leaving UPS based on rate surcharges going forward. Explained it as if they are gonna keep guaranteeing delivery by xmas, the closer it comes to xmas, the higher the surcharge rate paid by amazon. Just curious if its rumors, or if anyone else has heard anything similar.

I've heard "similar" rumors in the past. Although a complete transition from UPS is likely "doable" if spread out over an extended period of time, I don't believe the other carriers have the capacity, people, infrastructure, ect to handle such a monumental increase in delivery volume. Just look at our pkg cars in the morning, especially resi routes, there are ALOT of Amazon deliveries every single day.

Returntosender

I've heard "similar" rumors in the past. Although a complete transition from UPS is likely "doable" if spread out over an extended period of time, I don't believe the other carriers have the capacity, people, infrastructure, ect to handle such a monumental increase in delivery volume. Just look at our pkg cars in the morning, especially resi routes, there are ALOT of Amazon deliveries every single day.
Not here surepost bags seem to have lots of Amazon packages.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Amazon is just looking for a bigger discount. Threaten to leave and their rates get better.

It would take months, if not years, for FedEx and the Post Office to hire and train people, not to mention buying new equipment and expanding buildings, to handle the Amazon volume that we get.

Not saying it will never happen. The Post Office is aggressively going after Amazon packages.

You know that they subsidize their package cost with revenue from first class mail? They are going after the high volume accounts, 10,000 or more packages, with very competitive rates. Well below ours and FedEx's.

DOK

The whole drone idea and press release was a hugely successful marketing campaign by amazon, and I mean huge. In no way were they ever serious about the idea, knowing it would be impossible. Yet it makes them look like an industry leader and innovator, keeps their name in the news, and keeps people talking about the subject. An ingenious job of using the media.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The whole drone idea and press release was a hugely successful marketing campaign by amazon, and I mean huge. In no way were they ever serious about the idea, knowing it would be impossible. Yet it makes them look like an industry leader and innovator, keeps their name in the news, and keeps people talking about the subject. An ingenious job of using the media.
You mean like Google announcing they want to make cars?