Position bidding and Seniority.

PackageGhoul

Box Ghost
Teamsters Local 52 here.

I had an interesting discussion with a few UPSers regarding bidding on available positions and requesting to take on a second shift position in order to become a "full-time" worker. After speaking with a few supervisors and receiving conflicting information I have decided to come here regarding the topic.

First thing I was told:

"You cannot bid on a position available on a shift other than your own."

Second thing I was told:

"You can only bid on positions if you have enough seniority."

After checking the UPS Handbook regarding the polices and the Teamsters overall policy book -- I could not find anything regarding the first statement.
The second statement is mentioned in the NATIONAL MASTER UNITED PARCEL SERVICE AGREEMENT provided by Teamsters official website in Article 22, Section 4 (a).

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Car Washer, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

The supervisors I spoke to about this told me that since I have been with UPS for 2 years, then I have every right to bid on a position. However, there is no guarantee that I will obtain that position due to those with more seniority than I have also bidding on the position.

ManInBrown

Never ask management about rules regarding bidding., or anything seniority related. Speak to Stewie or the hall. Management knows nothing about stuff like this. They will either lie and answer in a way that benefits them, or they won’t know the answer and will give you a line of BS.

PackageGhoul

Box Ghost
Never ask management about rules regarding bidding., or anything seniority related. Speak to Stewie or the hall. Management knows nothing about stuff like this. They will either lie and answer in a way that benefits them, or they won’t know the answer and will give you a line of BS.
Considering the other employees I discussed the bidding positions with argue that "management is right" when it comes to seniority and bidding. I am inclined to believe you.. I've seen several posters here claim "if you don't have seniority you have nothing". 🤷‍♂️