Positive Change Towards A True Safety Culture

Integrity

Binge Poster
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Everyone knows it is very easy to talk bad about a company, any company, but I feel it is important to give credit where credit is due when positive change occurs.

I have to give the management in my area the credit for using caution and taking action by closing various operations for this storm.

I can't claim to know if their were monetary reasons behind it, but regardless of the motives it is a clear Safety First benefit to those in the storms path.

Although some who cannot be pleased will joke about this decision, the real truth is that if the decision was not made then Safety First credibility would have been broken not built.

My experience tells me that this site would have been full of comments about the company's failure to care about safety.

This is and should be recogized as a positive change in the safety culture at the company.

I recognize there is a long way to go but one must start somewhere.

Sincerely,
I

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Forgive me for being cynical but if local authorities hadn't closed the roads, UPS would have been open for business. Sure, they would've send a plethora of ODS messages urging us to be safe, but our people would be out in the middle of the storm. Please prove me wrong and show me where UPS has been proactive and shut down operations due to weather.

T

Turdferguson

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Everyone knows it is very easy to talk bad about a company, any company, but I feel it is important to give credit where credit is due when positive change occurs.

I have to give the management in my area the credit for using caution and taking action by closing various operations for this storm.

I can't claim to know if their were monetary reasons behind it, but regardless of the motives it is a clear Safety First benefit to those in the storms path.

Although some who cannot be pleased will joke about this decision, the real truth is that if the decision was not made then Safety First credibility would have been broken not built.

My experience tells me that this site would have been full of comments about the company's failure to care about safety.

This is and should be recogized as a positive change in the safety culture at the company.

I recognize there is a long way to go but one must start somewhere.

Sincerely,
I
Using this logic we should all give kudos to UPS for putting safety first and not allowing employees to murder one another or customers.:eek:

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Forgive me for being cynical but if local authorities hadn't closed the roads, UPS would have been open for business. Sure, they would've send a plethora of ODS messages urging us to be safe, but our people would be out in the middle of the storm. Please prove me wrong and show me where UPS has been proactive and shut down operations due to weather.
Actually my hub has done this before. The roads were open, however it's the first and only time I have ever seen it at my building. My dad even worked at the same hub prior for 35 years and said he has never heard of something like that happening. It was 3 years ago I believe. I was a shifter at the time, and I worked maybe an hour and they called a meeting. They shut the whole thing down, no one to go out and work to be stopped immediately and everyone go home. I was actually pretty shocked by it.

O

OLDMAN3

They sent us out in a blizzard (5 of us made it in to work out of over 100 drivers), over 2 feet of snow, howeling winds and way lower temps than this current storm. Many people died in that storm. I completed 4 stops in 8 hours that day. Our safety was never their concern, they just didn't want to pay us 5 drivers for 8 hours for sweeping trailers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They sent us out in a blizzard (5 of us made it in to work out of over 100 drivers), over 2 feet of snow, howeling winds and way lower temps than this current storm. Many people died in that storm. I completed 4 stops in 8 hours that day. Our safety was never their concern, they just didn't want to pay us 5 drivers for 8 hours for sweeping trailers.
I once worked 16 hours over a 2 day period and dis about 15 stops.

Day two I said can't make it in. They came to get me and broke a cv shaft on a 4x4 trying to get to me. I sat at the building half the day waiting for air. Then drove 30 miles did 3 stops then came back.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
The state of Ny shut it all down. There was nothing Ups could do. But, close. Otherwise integrity. Ups made all the DOK crap a catch 22. That is why they make the crap up in the first place. If you work smart and don't try to kill your self for cardboard. You will be ok. There is nothing you or I can do for things that just happen. Some things are just, your in the right place at the wrong time. To Ups it is your fault not ours

Integrity

Binge Poster
joeboodog,

I forgive you.

You don't know this.

Today is the best example.

How many complaints do you think would have inundated this site if they hadn't closed?

My experience tells me a lot.

Some on here are just miserable and will always spew their misery.

They also want to often time blames their employer, who they willingly work for, for all of their misery.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I once worked 16 hours over a 2 day period and dis about 15 stops.

Day two I said can't make it in. They came to get me and broke a cv shaft on a 4x4 trying to get to me. I sat at the building half the day waiting for air. Then drove 30 miles did 3 stops then came back.
Brownslave688,

That is irrelavent to the fact that many areas and operations were closed today and you cannot take away credit where credit is due for that which this credit is due.

Closing many operations in response to this storm is the right thing and for whatever the reasons Integrity must give credit for the right thing being done in this instance.

Sincerely,
I

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
we will just have 2 days work we will have stuffed into the rest of the week. I willing to bet. My ck will be almost normal. Even missing a day. I will be safe. Ups wont load me for a safe day.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Speculation??? The governor and mayor of new York. Closed the roads. On Tv. There is footage. You are joking. Right?,
10 2 go,

No I am not joking.

Speculation that this is main reason that the closures were made.

Unless you were in the room as an eye witness or on the phone as an ear witness one can only speculate as to why each decision to close was made.

Not all closures were in New York.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
we will just have 2 days work we will have stuffed into the rest of the week. I willing to bet. My ck will be almost normal. Even missing a day. I will be safe. Ups wont load me for a safe day.
10 2 go,

That is an entirely different safety issue. It does not take away the rightness of the decision to close some operations as a response to this storm.

I do empathize with your point, however irrelevant it is to this discussion.

I suggest addressing that safety issue if you feel so strongly about it.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Using this logic we should all give kudos to UPS for putting safety first and not allowing employees to murder one another or customers.:eek:
turdferguson,

What does your comment have to do with giving credit for a correct decision?

You statement does not make sense to me.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
MORION,

So I take it you agree that the decision to close operations as needed in response to this storm is a correct, right decision made by UPS.

Sincerely,
I

retired2000

They use to send us out when the roads were closed. Last words before we left were do the best you can. We would go to the diner and sit for 8 hours.

jaker

trolling
So integrity was you in the room when ups decided to shut down , if not then you don't know the reason they did it either

But our safety wasn't one of them