Positive Stories in General and COVID

Sportello

Stay at home protest in Ohio:

EVqsqy5XYAEM_Gq

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
During the coronavirus pandemic, the world is seeing an emotional outpouring of support for medical professionals and other essential workers. People are taking to the streets to cheer on front-line workers from London to Barcelona, Spain to New York.

But folks are also sharing their virtual gratitude in video messages of thanks that tug at viewers’ heartstrings. Whether offering praise to hospital workers from afar or showing support for farmworkers who are keeping the world well fed, the YouTube generation is using their video savvy to make sure their messages are heard. And felt.

Here are some of the most heartwarming video tributes to essential personnel — the true heroes of the COVID-19 crisis. Your eyes should dry within a few hours, but we offer no guarantees.

Heroic hurrah

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Local boy starts 'refreshment stop' to show appreciation for delivery drivers

Jack Mahar loves delivery trucks and the people who drive them.

The kindergartener at Hillside elementary in Niskayuna had a delivery-themed fifth birthday party and one of the first words he learned to write was “UPS,” according to his mom, Amanda Mahar.

Jack has gotten to see a whole lot of UPS, FedEx and USPS trucks these days. Like every student across the country, Jack’s home is now school. Couple that with the fact home deliveries have increased drastically as consumers rely heavily in Internet shopping and he’s basically guaranteed to see one — or many — of his favorite trucks each afternoon.

975x0.jpg

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
My daily dose of soul healing medicine made the local news.
Everyday at 5 p.m. Sandra and I listen to 2 hours of soothing music of really high caliber by Josh Daniel.

Below is a link to a video covering his daily concerts on local Charlotte news.

Concerts during coronavirus? They’re happening for free with social distance in one CLT neighborhood

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - If you’ve been missing concerts, there’s one local musician here in Charlotte who may have a fix for you. Since restrictions began in North Carolina due to the coronavirus pandemic, one home in Plaza Midwood has hosted a concert played for free with social distancing enforced.

Local musician Josh Daniel puts on the shows and says they stay safe and socially distant because people gather on their porches, on bikes throughout the neighborhood. Every one of his shows each day for the past two months has also been live-streamed online on Facebook.

It started as a way to try and make ends meet for his family and ended up being something much more. “We had tons and tons of gigs scheduled for the spring and summer. And of which all got canceled," said Daniel.

Concerts are how Josh supports his family, including young son Sonny who has a rare genetic brain syndrome.
So Daniel got creative.
“I said, You know, I think I can, I think I can go live every day and get some tips and we can keep, you know, keep paying our bills like that," said Daniel.

He started strumming a serenade for his Plaza Midwood neighbors to feel some normalcy.
“Sit in the street and drink a beer and watch him at his house," said Joe Fortier, a neighbor and COVID-concert attendee. “There’s something to look forward to every day instead of your four walls."

Nearly 60 days of shows later Josh is still playing, now reaching thousands of people he doesn’t know stuck at home during the pandemic.
Spirit Leatherwood is from Oregon and has tuned in to almost every single daily concert.

“He’s made feel just a little bit more hopeful and you wouldn’t think that you would have the same connection, you know, with this distance. But what I’m finding is that we do still feel connected," said Leatherwood. “I don’t think we should underestimate somebody playing for that many days in a row, like being vulnerable.”

That vulnerability hit hard when Sonny had to have mandatory brain operation right in the middle of the pandemic.
“I think on the 14th day, my little boy had a major surgery, he was in the hospital for seven days," said Daniel.
Josh then decided his concerts would give back so other kids like Sonny could get the surgeries they need.
“What we’re doing is we’re raising money to, to help with the hardware that goes in, in the skull for these and to pay for that. So some children overseas can get this operation," said Daniel.
Thankfully Sonny made it out of the NICU and Josh is still sharing his music every single day.

“His passion for the foundation that he is earning donations for, and he’s just a humble genuine man," said Leatherwood.
Daniel is still offering up free concerts and auctioning off a personalized concert for individual people. The money you donate goes to help other kids like Sonny get life-saving help.

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Retired officer gives out $2,500 at mobile food pantry, moves man to tears
A retired Charlotte, North Carolina, police officer knows the struggle that many are going through during the COVID-19 pandemic.

That's why Benson Ratliff added a little something for those stopping by for food at a meal distribution site Thursday. Ratliff went car-to-car giving out money to help people pay for basic necessities.

"I just gave away $2,500 to people that are in need," Ratliff told WSOC. "It feels good. You know, when you're blessed, you have to bless other people."

Mariano Martinez said,"It brought tears to my eyes, really. "It gives us hope that there are still a lot of nice people out there."

upload_2020-5-16_21-25-22.png