Possible career with UPS - Question

So i have a very close friend in management who can help me get into a seasonal driver position for this upcoming holiday season. I was told it would end around dec 29 but I was just curious of how it works as far as getting established as a driver after that, any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
So i have a very close friend in management who can help me get into a seasonal driver position for this upcoming holiday season. I was told it would end around dec 29 but I was just curious of how it works as far as getting established as a driver after that, any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi I'm new here and wondering if I apply for a SEASONAL driving job, Can I jump ahead of everyone who already works in the building and is waiting for a full time spot too. Any insight would be great.

hehe xd

ur only needed for the season. unless a driver loses his leg due to those 50lb honey baked hams, u won't have luck

DRporch

i started seasonal and got my fulltime position from it. only one in the entire building who didnt have to load trucks after peak :D but i was out performing most seasoned drivers in stop counts

So worst case scenario (other than losing your job entirely) You could get brought on to load trucks for less hours/ rate from what I understand. Then if you have performed well driving if a position opens you will be considered? Suppose i get that far, do you start full time or part time? and how long does it take to get to the top rate if so? Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions

DRporch

top rate takes 4yrs after being hired full time. every center varies but usually will be put on preload until you quit or can drive. or if they need drivers youll just get it like me

sandwich

The resident gearhead
So worst case scenario (other than losing your job entirely) You could get brought on to load trucks for less hours/ rate from what I understand. Then if you have performed well driving if a position opens you will be considered? Suppose i get that far, do you start full time or part time? and how long does it take to get to the top rate if so? Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions
If you stay after peak. You will be part time load or unload, or something similar. Then you will have to bid on full time driver as they are posted. You will be hired full time driver once you win a bid based solely on your seniority. Performance has NOTHING to do with when you will go full time. It's all about seniority and signing every bid sheet that gets posted. Also it currently takes 4 years to reach top rate once you go full time driving. But that could change come next contract.

If you stay after peak. You will be part time load or unload, or something similar. Then you will have to bid on full time driver as they are posted. You will be hired full time driver once you win a bid based solely on your seniority. Performance has NOTHING to do with when you will go full time. It's all about seniority and signing every bid sheet that gets posted. Also it currently takes 4 years to reach top rate once you go full time driving. But that could change come next contract.

Thanks for the info, if you don't mind me asking what are these bids or bidding

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Thanks for the info, if you don't mind me asking what are these bids or bidding
Hr will post a bid sheet. Keep an eye out for it. It's basically just a piece of paper saying xXxX building is hiring 8 full time drivers. When you see that sheet posted you sign it. If 500 people sign it. They will take the top 8 in seniority.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Got it ... last question for you gentleman/trolls i promise ....on average how long does it take, did it take you to go to a full time driver job?
Each building varies drastically. Some buildings can be more than 10 years wait for a full time spot. Others can be 6 months.