Possible to get the rear view camera kits as a consumer?

XavierPA

I left the job a few months back, if you see my post history you can probably figure out why. I've moved into a field that I enjoy and it has allowed me to move across the country to a place I've always wanted to live. I also am getting a new work vehicle that will be a large Mercedes Sprinter van with no windows so I've been looking and I can't find anything like the rear view setups we had as drivers. Everything I have been able to find are only "backup cameras" that seem to only turn on when in reverse, always have the backing-scale graphics, and seem to always mount to the license plate. I'd love to get a kit that fits the vehicle in the same fashion as the Package Cars and I was hoping someone may have some info on where to find something like that.

XavierPA

Like I said, everything I've found is focused on being a backup cam only, and they only turn on when you reverse. Obviously you could wire it to a switched source but they all have tiny screens and have the backing graphics overlay from what I've seen. I have tons of headroom in the new van and could easily fit one of the larger monitors used in a package car.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
You can wire them up to be on all the time, not just for going in reverse.

Teh interweb search isn't broken on my end.

Thurr arr kitz both on eBay n A-zon dat mounts to the high mount brake light or stand alone...

And monitor choice of integrated with the rearview mirror or a big square screen

Wired or wireless, but I'll choose wired especially if u are getting an extended version of that van

RVS-816619 | Backup Camera System Adjustable Lens For Sprinter Vans | Rear View Safety

That link is on of many on eBay or A-zon that I can see if u don't want that tiny monitor embedded into the center mirror

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

U set on that German van or did you try the Ford transit ones? PS, I'm hearing about the regeneration systems of diesel emissions are a pita to maintain/ $$$ repair

Sprinter Backup Camera for 09 -16 Mercedes Sprinter IR Night Vision Camera | eBay

Last edited:

gman042

Been around the block a few times
My backup camera has been burned out going on 3 weeks now. Parts on order type of deal.
While I have found out just how much I relied on that piece of tech, it has forced me to be much more attentive when I choose to back.

Indecisi0n

My backup camera has been burned out going on 3 weeks now. Parts on order type of deal.
While I have found out just how much I relied on that piece of tech, it has forced me to be much more attentive when I choose to back.
If mine went out I would refuse to back at all. Start walking off dock deliveries and see how fast that thing gets replaced.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can you imagine if they ever decided to put in back up alarms?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In feeders, it's amazing how many times you look up to the non-existent one, LOL
Definitely, a method that will take time to leave my head.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I have a dash cam in my pickup truck. Mine doesn't have the optional rear cam, but they are available. I just looked on amazon, they offer a dual cam for under $100.00 that has good reviews.