Possibly becoming P/T Sup SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Hey guys -

I am brand new here on bowncafe... just stumbled across is last night.

I have been with UPS since June 2007 working as a skilled loader on the Pre-Load... I work in N.E. PA

I decided to take the jump to becoming a part time sup.... I am almost to that point and have even had all of my interviews and now it is on my shoulders to accept the job...

My only option currently is a position on Local Sort...

I have a ton of questions....

1) How many personal / sick days do part time sups get?

2) I should be getting 2 weeks vacation this year (if I would have stayed in the union). How much vacation do part time sups get?

3) I have heard there is transitional health coverage then UPS management health care ... what are all the differences in them?

4) Is there a period where I can come back to being a loader and still keep my seniority if I change my mind?

5) I currently make $11.35 and hour and would be getting a raise soon to $11.85, they told me I would only be starting at around $13.80, is that correct?

6) Do part time sups still get a gaurenteed 5 1/2 a day?

7) Is there a waiting period that part time sups must wait to get paid holidays?

8) What will the main differences be from working pre-load to working local sort...

For anyone willing to give me some answers... thanks so much and I hope to hear back soon!

pissedoffmanager

1) How many personal / sick days do part time sups get?

Depends on your hire date, you should get at least two weeks vacation and one week of "MTO" or personal leave, it increases by one week every five years.

2) I should be getting 2 weeks vacation this year (if I would have stayed in the union). How much vacation do part time sups get?

Redundant question

3) I have heard there is transitional health coverage then UPS management health care ... what are all the differences in them?

You will most likely have different health care coverage, here it was from Aetna as an hourly to BCBS as a PT Sup

4) Is there a period where I can come back to being a loader and still keep my seniority if I change my mind?

NO NO NO! Once you have accepted, that is it, you are stuck in the hell of UPS management!

5) I currently make $11.35 and hour and would be getting a raise soon to $11.85, they told me I would only be starting at around $13.80, is that correct?

PT Sup pay is around 10-15% more than what you made as an hourly

6) Do part time sups still get a gaurenteed 5 1/2 a day?

You will always get paid for 5.5 a day, in saying that you are expected to work 5.5 a day, because that is what UPS pays you for!

7) Is there a waiting period that part time sups must wait to get paid holidays?

No

8) What will the main differences be from working pre-load to working local sort...

Local sort is more laid back in many centers, and not the "rush" like the preload to get the drivers "out of the building."

My advice to you, stay where you are, UPS has one of the highest divorce rates of any company for its managers, and is awful....ask yourself why so many people leave each year in management. We all get to the point when we can't handle it anymore, or like some former managers in the Northeast I know became alchoholics just because of UPS. Stay where you are, don't even think about going into management because unless you enjoy screwing your fellow man, and laughing as they wriggle in pain....you will be miserable in the job! Those that enjoy seeing their fellow man being raped an screwed are your managers that go far in the company, don't believe me, just look at your driver sups, center managers, and Division Managers......they thrive on screwing people in most cases, and it is the only time they feel real power....since they are most likely losers in real life away from UPS!

For anyone willing to give me some answers... thanks so much and I hope to hear back soon![/quote]

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My advice to you, stay where you are, UPS has one of the highest divorce rates of any company for its managers, and is awful....ask yourself why so many people leave each year in management. We all get to the point when we can't handle it anymore, or like some former managers in the Northeast I know became alchoholics just because of UPS. Stay where you are, don't even think about going into management because unless you enjoy screwing your fellow man, and laughing as they wriggle in pain....you will be miserable in the job! Those that enjoy seeing their fellow man being raped an screwed are your managers that go far in the company, don't believe me, just look at your driver sups, center managers, and Division Managers......they thrive on screwing people in most cases, and it is the only time they feel real power....since they are most likely losers in real life away from UPS!
This is so true.
If you think that yes you could do the job & stay at being a nice guy, I should inform you that you will be attacked by upper mgt daily. Think of it this way "they eat their own".

redshift1

Depends on your personality if you are assertive and comfortable in a chaotic environment and do not take things personally then you have a chance at survival. It's common to receive pressure from above and below and you must be able to work through those situations while remaining level headed. UPS does send new supervisors to training seminars but usually you are given assignments with minimal training and asked to be successful very quickly. Let us know how it works out.

pissedoffmanager

Depends on your personality if you are assertive and comfortable in a chaotic environment and do not take things personally then you have a chance at survival. It's common to receive pressure from above and below and you must be able to work through those situations while remaining level headed. UPS does send new supervisors to training seminars but usually you are given assignments with minimal training and asked to be successful very quickly. Let us know how it works out.

Redshift, you must work in a large hub, because no one I have known has ever gone through any training within the first 3 or so months of being promoted as a PT Supervisor. I can tell from your attitude that you yourself are a PT Sup, or even a FT Sup........ What is the the first class UPS sends a new PT Sup to after six months or so? Employee Relations, in which is stressed that hourly employees no matter how well you know them or have worked with them they are no longer your friends and you can't treat them as such. Screwing People 101! Just tell the truth, redshift, you are giving assignments with no training, not minimal but none in most cases.

redshift1

It all depends, once I hired three p/t supervisors from hourly positions who trained for 4 weeks before ever supervising so you never know. There is wide variation throughout the country. Normally though a new sup is given an area of responsibility and monitored and mentored by either another p/t sup or a friend/t sup. I would call that minimal on the job training. Besides a sup is normally supervising a job that he has worked in previously so he has a rudimentary understanding of what is required. You have a misconception about UPS training all the classes I attended stressed understanding and working with employees also discussed was accountability. Sometimes supervisors alienate people but they're definitely not trained to screw people that's an urban myth propagated through ignorance.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Here's my take:

If you plan on staying with UPS, and also making good money someday, it's best to stay union.

If you plan on going to school and doing something else with your life in 5 years, do the P/T sup.

Mildly Aligned

I would agree with Sleeve_meet_Heart. Great if it's a temporary step to something better, not if it's a long term plan. In the long run the compensation is just not worth it. With changes to our Benefits and pay structure, each year it seems the company is paying you less. Including the 5.5 hour structure that was mentioned above. Most part-timers I know were hired on a 5 hour structure, when they went to the 5.5 hour structure there was no increase in salary. At that point we did began receiving "Overtime" but, with the way it is in my district and the constant policing of hours, you are pretty much instructed not to work any additional hours and held accountable if you do. No matter the reason. So basically 5 1/2 hours a day at the rate of 5 hours a day. And every year you will get sticker shock as your cost of health benefits fly through the roof.

I would agree with Sleeve_meet_Heart. Great if it's a temporary step to something better, not if it's a long term plan. In the long run the compensation is just not worth it. With changes to our Benefits and pay structure, each year it seems the company is paying you less. Including the 5.5 hour structure that was mentioned above. Most part-timers I know were hired on a 5 hour structure, when they went to the 5.5 hour structure there was no increase in salary. At that point we did began receiving "Overtime" but, with the way it is in my district and the constant policing of hours, you are pretty much instructed not to work any additional hours and held accountable if you do. No matter the reason. So basically 5 1/2 hours a day at the rate of 5 hours a day. And every year you will get sticker shock as your cost of health benefits fly through the roof.
What kind of money will I be paying for myself for full health coverage?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
What kind of money will I be paying for myself for full health coverage?

You will be considered a salary employee, so trying to sum it up in dollars per hour is like throwing darts. It's a different world in management, some good some bad. The health package is fine. There's nothing outragously wrong with it.

BUT

Thinking your gonna be able to call out sick or take days off ??? THINK AGAIN
You are pretty much discouraged to take time off outside your vacations. There is no "holiday" pay, you just get paid the same everytime.

Plus, Don't listen to pissedoffmanager. He obviously is in a bad spot in his life and some people can handle adversity in different ways. You will easily learn a different perspective on the business side of UPS, no doubt. You will never be able to go back to your old job, so take the time to weigh your options.

You will be considered a salary employee, so trying to sum it up in dollars per hour is like throwing darts. It's a different world in management, some good some bad. The health package is fine. There's nothing outragously wrong with it.

BUT

Thinking your gonna be able to call out sick or take days off ??? THINK AGAIN
You are pretty much discouraged to take time off outside your vacations. There is no "holiday" pay, you just get paid the same everytime.

Plus, Don't listen to pissedoffmanager. He obviously is in a bad spot in his life and some people can handle adversity in different ways. You will easily learn a different perspective on the business side of UPS, no doubt. You will never be able to go back to your old job, so take the time to weigh your options.
While working as a union member... if you dont use your sick/personal days you receive a check for them... do they do the same in management

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
While working as a union member... if you dont use your sick/personal days you receive a check for them... do they do the same in management

You don't get personal days

Because you get paid salary, if you are off, you get paid as much as if you were working. The point is that you won't have days off. You would be lucky if you get a day off 3 months in advance. Sick days? You better have a doctor's note if you don't come into work.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Redshift, you must work in a large hub, because no one I have known has ever gone through any training within the first 3 or so months of being promoted as a PT Supervisor. I can tell from your attitude that you yourself are a PT Sup, or even a FT Sup........ What is the the first class UPS sends a new PT Sup to after six months or so? Employee Relations, in which is stressed that hourly employees no matter how well you know them or have worked with them they are no longer your friends and you can't treat them as such. Screwing People 101! Just tell the truth, redshift, you are giving assignments with no training, not minimal but none in most cases.

I've just glanced over your posts the last couple minutes.

Are you even in management ???
Did you leave recently??
Are you running the lunch shift at White Castle now ????

Obviously management did not work out for you and UPS spit you out by the dumpster where the beat-up totes end up. Some people are strong enough to challenge themselves and excel and don't need to be scared out of it by worn-out ex-UPS management. Worse case scenario, he takes what he learns and appies his management skills to another job.

I really appreciate all of your answers. I am somewhat cautious to move to supervision. But, I am young (24) and I have come to the realization that I would like to stay with UPS and move my way up. I know management may not be the best way to do so. But, I seriously can not afford to continue making $200 a week on working preload and being exhausted constantly. I figure moving to local sort (as a p/t sup) I will be making a little more money, be gaining more responsibility and getting a promotion (last time I check a promotion is a promotion). I know I haven't even started yet but I plan on working hard to stay with the company... I may just be rambling but I hope I am making the right decision.

If I do stay with the company do all of my years as a loader / management / other positions I work count toward my 35 years?

pissedoffmanager

I've just glanced over your posts the last couple minutes.

Are you even in management ???
Did you leave recently??
Are you running the lunch shift at White Castle now ????

Obviously management did not work out for you and UPS spit you out by the dumpster where the beat-up totes end up. Some people are strong enough to challenge themselves and excel and don't need to be scared out of it by worn-out ex-UPS management. Worse case scenario, he takes what he learns and appies his management skills to another job.

I am a former center manager, I quit and filed a lawsuit against the company, and I took a small settlement just to hear them admit they were wrong. I am now a Professor for a large school in the north east, probably close to you! I quit simply because of ethical issues, and some duties that I was asked to perform, that were very unethical, and unfair, and frankly because I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.........three other management people walked out a few days after I did when everything came to light, in the end someone much higher in management was terminated, and I was even offered my job back, which I promptly refused.

Why is it with people like you assume when managers quit we end up at McDonalds or someplace else? The majority of us former management employees have at least graduate degrees and easily transition into a easy job where we aren't bother 20 hours a day! A lot of us even end up running our own companies and corporations, there are a couple real fine examples of that in the South.....one district manager quit some years ago and now runs a multi-million dollar corporation.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If I do stay with the company do all of my years as a loader / management / other positions I work count toward my 35 years?

It will all count as years of service at UPS. But, retirement benefit-wise, I am not positive. To qualify for a union retirement, you must work a certain amount of hours every year. There is a different number of hours for part-time and full-time. I am not sure how management phases their retirement benefits but they do encourage you to start a 401k (which they match a percentage, basically free money) and buying stocks.

Make sure you write down a list of your questions so you can ask the managers when you interview for the position. They would have plenty of insight, especially since they began just like you as a part-time supervisor in your area.

They also encourage you to get your degree in college while you work part-time at UPS managing. It is great to have something to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey Heff, isn't there a point between P/T and friend/T supe where you can go back to packages. Don't you have to do at least 30 days driving? Can't you just stay driving at that point? Heard about someone doing this once, really pissed off MGMT.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I am a former center manager, I quit and filed a lawsuit against the company, and I took a small settlement just to hear them admit they were wrong. I am now a Professor for a large school in the north east, probably close to you! I quit simply because of ethical issues, and some duties that I was asked to perform, that were very unethical, and unfair, and frankly because I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.........three other management people walked out a few days after I did when everything came to light, in the end someone much higher in management was terminated, and I was even offered my job back, which I promptly refused.

Why is it with people like you assume when managers quit we end up at McDonalds or someplace else? The majority of us former management employees have at least graduate degrees and easily transition into a easy job where we aren't bother 20 hours a day! A lot of us even end up running our own companies and corporations, there are a couple real fine examples of that in the South.....one district manager quit some years ago and now runs a multi-million dollar corporation.

OK
I remember your thread now.

I apologize for the White Castle crack, but you can tell pretty quick from your posts that you hate UPS with a passion and discourage anyone from joining the ranks.
At least, you worked your way up the company ladder and have that on your resume. This young worker wants to see if this is the right job for him. He can tell pretty quick there is a lot of sucessful and broken people off the UPS ladder

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Hey Heff, isn't there a point between P/T and friend/T supe where you can go back to packages. Don't you have to do at least 30 days driving? Can't you just stay driving at that point? Heard about someone doing this once, really pissed off MGMT.

I know of one in my building that was going to do just his 30 days. He liked it so much, he actually turned on them and became a union steward.
Thats a drastic 180 degrees :surprised:
I don't think there is any paperwork you have to sign to guarantee you are only on road for 30 days. Most PT sups are glad there 30 days are over when it happens and don't push the envelope to far.

I went in fully intending to stay driving, but the hardcore union drivers still won't give you the time of day since you've been tainted by the kool-aid. 8 years since, most have forgotten that I was a PT sup. Any driver can jump off and manage FT, so pretty much the heat is off me.

redshift1

As a reminder you usually cannot pick your assignments and are normally
assigned to whatever your job function was as an hourly. One good option is
full time driving which is offered to p/t sups after a few years, of course, predicated on an improvement in the economy.