Post office or Fedex?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Pay and bennies are better but, who wants to do such a thank-less job?

I love the job satisfaction I get.

!Retired!

So I Always hear how overpaid postal workers are. Who would work for the PO here? Seems like a more laidback job. But dont know how benefits are.
Seems being the key word. PO workers don't have it as sweet as most people might think. Just like every other delivery business, the USPS looks to cut expenses. More work expected to be done in the same amount of time, vehicle repairs don't get done unless they HAVE to, etc.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Seems being the key word. PO workers don't have it as sweet as most people might think. Just like every other delivery business, the USPS looks to cut expenses. More work expected to be done in the same amount of time, vehicle repairs don't get done unless they HAVE to, etc.
True. Ain't what it used to be.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
My letter carrier is getting paid to deliver my mail to my neighbors' mailboxes and theirs to mine. Every once in awhile he screws up and puts my mail in my mailbox. It happens.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My letter carrier is getting paid to deliver my mail to my neighbors' mailboxes and theirs to mine. Every once in awhile he screws up and puts my mail in my mailbox. It happens.
A friend of mine delivers my mail. I can always tell when she's off.... I end up with random stuff in my mailbox.

BootsOnTarmac

Years ago I would get someone else's mail in my box often. I would write on the envelope in red pen "Postmaster, please deliver to the correct address." I then would put the letter in a USPS drop box on the way to work. I'm sure the recipients were not happy when they finally received their letter. Maybe they complained, I now rarely receive someone else's mail now.

Exec32

Dude express and ground are on a decline. One will be a part time company the a Frieght company humping 150 lb boxes and furniture. The other will be overstaffed and you'll be lucky to get 32 hours a week. By the way express will find a way to get rid of you when they know the job can now be done by a high school drop out. USPS IS your best bet, don't let these fools lie to you, I know because I worked for both of them!

bacha29

Dude express and ground are on a decline. One will be a part time company the a Frieght company humping 150 lb boxes and furniture. The other will be overstaffed and you'll be lucky to get 32 hours a week. By the way express will find a way to get rid of you when they know the job can now be done by a high school drop out. USPS IS your best bet, don't let these fools lie to you, I know because I worked for both of them!
Right on man. While USPS people are timed studied constantly and rural mail carriers instead of being given a mileage allowance to supply their own vehicle are being forced to use old worn out USPS mail cars the USPS is making huge strides. As for your description of what X will look like in the future I think you are completely correct because the evidence pointing to that outcome is indisputable .

BigWork13

You must be joking. The USPS is losing money at an extraordinary rate. It's another one of those wasteful government programs that need to and will eventually be cut.

bacha29

You must be joking. The USPS is losing money at an extraordinary rate. It's another one of those wasteful government programs that need to and will eventually be cut.
Would UPS or Fedex haul your first class letter from Boise to Boston for $.47? Put a 5 in front of that decimal point and they might think about it. There are two major problems facing the USPS. First their rates are too low. Secondly they are required to prepay the pensions of mail carriers who haven't even been born yet. Oh by the way, the USPS has been a free standing non government entity for many years.

Exec32

FedEx ground has been subsidized by us all, continuous skirting of labor laws, manipulation of vague laws, and the inaction of regulatory agencies including the justice Dept have given them a competitive advantage at OUR OWN COST. A HUGE SUBSIDY.

bacha29

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year

I would go as far as saying they are a "free standing" company. The post office is completely useless. I can't even remember the last time I received anything important from USPS.
All done to keep rates artificially low. Oh sure Great Leader Fred and the boys at the CATO Institute would love to get their hands on the USPS business so they can put that 5 in front of the decimal point and much higher in the rural areas who will get no better that 5 day service,more like 3. Moreover that 6 day service is why Great Leader Fred has clearly stated Ground will run 6 days a week year round leaving contractors already faced with great difficulty competing for qualified labor in an even more difficult if not impossible situation.