Potential New Hire & Pension

Davo53209

Hello Everyone:

I'm considering applying to UPS as a new hire at age 50yrs. with the intention of working until age 70yrs. My question is how much could I potentiality accumulate/withdraw from the pension plan, presumming I'd work full-time?

PT Crazy

First see if you can get hired at full time. Then see if you can handle the job for 30 days first. Then you have to try working 55 hours a week for 20 years.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Hello Everyone:

I'm considering applying to UPS as a new hire at age 50yrs. with the intention of working until age 70yrs. My question is how much could I potentiality accumulate/withdraw from the pension plan, presumming I'd work full-time?
I'm an optimist and don't want to discourage anyone, but stop what you're doing. It's just not going to happen and you don't want it to happen.
Apply for anything anywhere else. Work until you qualify for SS.
Beans and cornbread taste the best when you're not working.

Davo53209

I'm an optimist and don't want to discourage anyone, but stop what you're doing. It's just not going to happen and you don't want it to happen.
Apply for anything anywhere else. Work until you qualify for SS.
Beans and cornbread taste the best when you're not working.
What's not going to happen and why don't I want it to happen?....What exactly are you talking about?

Davo53209

I'm not looking to be a package handler, whether that be a loader, or an unloader. I'm looking at an offer to become a tractor trailer driver. Class A CDL linehaul, or UPS lingo, a feeder driver.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I'm not looking to be a package handler, whether that be a loader, or an unloader. I'm looking at an offer to become a tractor trailer driver. Class A CDL linehaul, or UPS lingo, a feeder driver.
I'm not sure about elsewhere, but here you need 1 year minimum RPCD to bid on feeder stuff.

And good luck being an off the street hire.
More likely you'll have to be a package handler for at least a year, then package for a year, then slip into Feeders.

Assuming that the bid sheets all stay unfilled.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You would get whatever 20yrs of contributions pays out per month. Most of us don't even worry about it. Fund your 401k.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
What's not going to happen and why don't I want it to happen?....What exactly are you talking about?
To name just one of many...
I'm not sure about elsewhere, but here you need 1 year minimum RPCD to bid on feeder stuff.

And good luck being an off the street hire.
More likely you'll have to be a package handler for at least a year, then package for a year, then slip into Feeders.

Assuming that the bid sheets all stay unfilled.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you get hired straight into feeders you'll be fine as long as you don't mind working nights. Like these other guys are saying it'd be a different story if you were going into package at 50 looking to do 20 more.

Davo53209

If you get hired straight into feeders you'll be fine as long as you don't mind working nights. Like these other guys are saying it'd be a different story if you were going into package at 50 looking to do 20 more.
Working nights driving a truck is just what I have in mind. What it really comes down to, is determining how much a 401K without an employer match, plus a pension can benefit me in retirement. I'm sure that everyone here is currently experience this...any insights on these retirement benefits?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Working nights driving a truck is just what I have in mind. What it really comes down to, is determining how much a 401K without an employer match, plus a pension can benefit me in retirement. I'm sure that everyone here is currently experience this...any insights on these retirement benefits?
401k will be worth as much as you put in it. Pensions and retiree HC plans are different around the country, most pension plans you're vested after 5 years but beyond that they all have different rules about retirement age/ years of service. If you get the job you can get all that info from your local union.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello Everyone:

Lol
You got to be joking

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I started @ 42 made it to 65+. 23 years of 2 jobs . I was lucky and was placed in an easier position ,even got to work off site for a few years . The long days were still a pain. It is no place to be starting @ 50 . Easy jobs are few and far between in part time and God forbid you get to a package car. In a few years your body will feel like 70 long before you get there.