Pottery Barn is the Best Company In The World

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
On another thread, I posted bad things about pottery barn.

I now believe in Karma.

2 out of 4 trucks I unloaded today were 95% Pottery Barn. I believe I left work today close to tears.

The only way I can imagine a worse truck to unload would be one that is 100% full of loose marbles.

dillweed

If they're too big they won't fit down the rollers wthout jamming. Handling them as bulk would be a time-consuming PIA.

They'd be rough to handle because arms won't reach handily around them. Even lightweight ones are bears.

SoyFish

I love loading little boxes. The big boxes are deceiving on where they actually fit. Yesterday (or early today) I loaded a box and I think it got stuck between the rollers and trailer...one of those trailers with the flaps that fold down...The unloader is gonna have a hard time getting that package out, cause I tried and couldn't do it <_<

I get how you feel...the one day all that seemed to be coming down were bikes...thin packages, but long. Sometimes it's hard to find a place for them to fit because they have "arrows" on the box.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Not a 6 foot square one, no
Just curious.I have been reading many of your posts recently.When you took this job what did you expect you were going to do.You seem to complain about touching packages.As far as I know when you come in thru the front door you can pretty much expect to touch packages (large or small) for all the hours that you are getting paid for.I'm not being a wise guy,just stating the obvious.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Just curious.I have been reading many of your posts recently.When you took this job what did you expect you were going to do.You seem to complain about touching packages.As far as I know when you come in thru the front door you can pretty much expect to touch packages (large or small) for all the hours that you are getting paid for.I'm not being a wise guy,just stating the obvious.

You may wish to re-read my posts?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think the underlying problem with Pottery Barn is that there was a failure to communicate....between the Business Development wing that wanted the revenue and the Operations department that suddenly has to accomodate volume that our system was never designed to handle. Whatever percieved profit we earn on a Pottery Barn shipment quite frequently gets flushed due to the necessity of sending multiple drivers to the same address when that order blows out the vehicle it was dispatched in. The individual(s) who made the business decision to seek this volume and the individual(s) who made the business decision to purchase P-500 and P-32 package cars might work for the same company but they dont live in the same universe.

New Englander

I think the underlying problem with Pottery Barn is that there was a failure to communicate....between the Business Development wing that wanted the revenue and the Operations department that suddenly has to accomodate volume that our system was never designed to handle. Whatever percieved profit we earn on a Pottery Barn shipment quite frequently gets flushed due to the necessity of sending multiple drivers to the same address when that order blows out the vehicle it was dispatched in. The individual(s) who made the business decision to seek this volume and the individual(s) who made the business decision to purchase P-500 and P-32 package cars might work for the same company but they dont live in the same universe.

Do you know how much we make per Pottery Barn shipment?
Who's going to delivery Pottery Barn? We are the largest shipper in the United States unless you count USPS's bulk mail - I don't. So I don't think you can say we were never designed to handle Pottery Barns volume.

Does anyone know if Pottery Barn gets dim weighted? If so it's not that bad of a deal to send two package cars when needed.

With how stingy BD is on giving discounts I seriously doubt Pottery Pottery Barn is a losing account.

New Englander

Benefits, he has a point.
It's what you were paid to do and you chose to do it.

I personally would rather have the big ones to unload. Most rollers I've seen are not in great shape and the bigger heavy ones actually roll well. That way I'm not constantly pushing a stack of smalls that usually involves them blowing out and falling of the rollers at some point.

Everything I've seen from Pottery Barn (and we have several Ski resorts) has been uniform enough to have several large flat sides to go down the roller on. Also usually packed well as well.

Much rather unload those then the 140lbs small wooden crates with metal banding heading to the machine shops!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Benefits, he has a point.
It's what you were paid to do and you chose to do it.

I personally would rather have the big ones to unload. Most rollers I've seen are not in great shape and the bigger heavy ones actually roll well. That way I'm not constantly pushing a stack of smalls that usually involves them blowing out and falling of the rollers at some point.

Everything I've seen from Pottery Barn (and we have several Ski resorts) has been uniform enough to have several large flat sides to go down the roller on. Also usually packed well as well.

Much rather unload those then the 140lbs small wooden crates with metal banding heading to the machine shops!

Oh, for God's sake....

I feel stupid even having to say this, people; This thread was an attempt at humor. I do not want anyone to die. I do not care about boxes be it number or size. I took a few seconds, made a post, and saw that some people enjoyed it. That is the beginning & the end of it. I assumed most people here have both common sense and at least a shred of humor.

New Englander

I almost feel stupid having to point out that your first post about Pottery Barn showed your distaste for them. Even though this second post was made with a bit of tongue in cheek humor it's still the internet and feelings do not translate all that well.

Obviously you conditioned us for this response :)

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Was moved to the unload for the first time in 3-4 years yesterday.

First trailer to unload? a 53' pottery barn!

It was the easiest trailer Ive ever unloaded. I would gladly take 53' every time if they were all like this one.

Everything uniform in size (about 5 diff sizes), every package 10-50 pounds (nothing 50+ that I remember) and the load although "fallen back" was still well packed and easy to unload. I put it away in under an hour.