^%!!@*!! Power Pads

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ever since we've gotten these new but not necessariy improved power pads they've been nothing but trouble. Who on earth decided that the old ones needed replacing?

A big problem with these is much slower communication between the pad and the printer especially when the printer hasn't been used for awhile. I could grow a beard waiting for a label.

My biggest gripe is how easily they go off-line. When you wake them up out of sleep mode the signal icon flashes then is supposed to go back to communicating with dispatch after a minute or so. Half the time it doesn't especially in out in extended areas and for some reason when you enter some buildings but not not others. Had to reboot the damn thing 3 times the other day.

I think who ever engineered these pieces of junk needs to go back to the drawing board. We don't have the time to mess with these, Certainly not during peak.

Did Fred get some kind of deal on these at Big Lots or something?

Last edited:

Express Courier

Yeah the thing theat pisses me off the most is the disconnect from dispatch. Seems every time I try any sort of connect it's a no go. "Retry?" Yes. *beep beep* "Failed. Retry?" NO FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah the thing theat pisses me off the most is the disconnect from dispatch. Seems every time I try any sort of connect it's a no go. "Retry?" Yes. *beep beep* "Failed. Retry?" NO FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

We had 10 go down at our station in just one afternoon. This wasn't supposed to happen with the new version.

Lucho Kaiser

Our station has a terrible time staying connected to dispatch and slow communication with them. Ive heard some say they think battery life is shorter but mine does fine with that just very slow.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It sucks out in the extended areas when they disconnect from dispatch which is a good way to miss an on-call pickup.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

That just means that your gap time is so great, that your p-pad is punishing you according to PeopleManual 2-5.9.9.7.4.92 squared, "if you have more than 10 seconds between stops, your power pad will disconnect for approximately as long as it wants to in order to prove to you that you are taking too long at a stop."

I guess you need to speed and break several other traffic laws, just so your p-pad won't shut off, just watch for the cows and deer, they will bring you to an abrupt halt, dogs not so much.

Just kidding, be safe and follow the rules. Merry Christmas!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All rules. procedures, and policies are open to managment mis-understanding and mis-application at all times. In the event that this occurs, the courier is to be blamed and assigned a bad attitude via OLCC.

whenIgetthere

I went to scan my last P1 Thursday at 1030 on the nose, and my power pad crashed. By the time it was back up, and contacted to dispatch, it was now 1034. So I filled out my star report and the reason for P1 failure I pit "power pad failure". Manager wasn't happy about it, but accepted my explanation, which surprised me.

newgirl

Glad to see it's not just our station. Mine resets at least twice a night, I pull it out of the holster and the green screen is on. No connection to dispatch, and dispatch gets mad at me, LOL. Let's see, it has to remain in the holster when I am driving, I can't even look at it at red lights, if I want to send a message I need to be pulled over, engine preferably off and I have to do 13.5 stops and hour. Math? 60 mins divided by 13.5-- 4.4 minutes per stop. Length of time to reset the powerpad? 5 minutes. Like I have time.

whenIgetthere

By STRICT FedEx policy, this is true. But, I had my manager with me and looked at a message while stopped at a light.....he didn't say a word.

On a check ride last year, my manager asked me for my power pad while we m
moving so he could send a message to another route, I said no, he also said nothing.

newgirl

By STRICT FedEx policy, this is true. But, I had my manager with me and looked at a message while stopped at a light.....he didn't say a word.

With the new rules coming Jan 3rd I have been trying my best to follow the rules to a "T." I developed a few bad habits after being displaced into a new route that has insane route goals.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Glad to see it's not just our station. Mine resets at least twice a night, I pull it out of the holster and the green screen is on. No connection to dispatch, and dispatch gets mad at me, LOL. Let's see, it has to remain in the holster when I am driving, I can't even look at it at red lights, if I want to send a message I need to be pulled over, engine preferably off and I have to do 13.5 stops and hour. Math? 60 mins divided by 13.5-- 4.4 minutes per stop. Length of time to reset the powerpad? 5 minutes. Like I have time.

The reality of the productivity push is that many couriers feel compelled to view their PP while moving just so they can keep up with ever-increasing expectations. You've explained it perfectly.