Pre Load Advice

Infamous

I am new to loading trucks. I am currently loading 4 Trucks, I was given charts to use and go by. But when the driver comes in and goes through their truck they say it's all wrong. They keep explaining to me what to do and how to load their truck. It just dont seem to be sticking with me. On top of all this it dont help that the place is getting slammed with boxes. How am I supposed to have all this time to learn the trucks with out slowing down production. I wanna do a good job but the drivers make me feel like ai am doing absolutely horrible.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I am new to loading trucks. I am currently loading 4 Trucks, I was given charts to use and go by. But when the driver comes in and goes through their truck they say it's all wrong. They keep explaining to me what to do and how to load their truck. It just dont seem to be sticking with me. On top of all this it dont help that the place is getting slammed with boxes. How am I supposed to have all this time to learn the trucks with out slowing down production. I wanna do a good job but the drivers make me feel like ai am doing absolutely horrible.
First step is to make sure they know that you care about doing a good job.
Most drivers will cut you some slack if they know you are trying your best.

Most everyone sucks when they first start.

Infamous

First step is to make sure they know that you care about doing a good job.
Most drivers will cut you some slack if they know you are trying your best.

Most everyone sucks when they first start.

A couple of then know this but they expect me to be perfect right off the hop, Like I am already supposed to know everything!

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
A couple of then know this but they expect me to be perfect right off the hop, Like I am already supposed to know everything!
Ignore them.
Good preloading takes practice.
Months and months of agonizing, soul crushing practice.

And some drivers got hired off the street, or came from twilight, which means they don't appreciate the garbage that we go through.

Just get your time in till you are no longer an "at will" employee, and then you'll be safe.

Oh, and before I forget, just because of your avatar.
46076c8a5f6df60dc62cc02c76c4161c.gif

This is the internet. You can pretend to be a real nationality if you want.

Nah

If you're doing it the way your supervisor trained you, just keep doing what you're doing.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Don't listen to the crybaby drivers, they are nothing to you. Just work as instructed.

AwashBwashCwash

Alright kid here are the rules of preload

1) If you wake up and think you are going to have a good day at preload, think again.
2) If you get to work and you see your load sheets and think "Wow, today looks like an easy day!" think again. The sheets are wrong.
3) The safety stuff they told you is wrong. The job is physically impossible to perform while also adhering to their fake safety standards. They only say that stuff out of liability concerns. You MUST make huge piles of stack out that blocks egress to keep up with the flow, and you MUST always be walking into a truck with AT LEAST 3 or 4 packages in your hand to keep up. If you load one package at a time, you will be fired.
4) Don't worry about the drivers. You don't work for the drivers. I know you want to be a good guy and do a good job, but this isn't that kind of place. Once you walk out the door the drivers are on their own and it isn't your problem anymore. All that matters is you try to keep up with the flow and meet their ridiculous production standards.

Some other posters may try to dispute this, but these are the realities of UPS preload.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?

Just get stuff in the right place and on the right shelf . If you can do that then my friend you're a pretty good loader. Sequential order be damned

Whither

Scofflaw
Ignore them.
Good preloading takes practice.
Months and months of agonizing, soul crushing practice.

And some drivers got hired off the street, or came from twilight, which means they don't appreciate the garbage that we go through.

This, and the wretched gap in pay between us and them, is why I've never hectored preloaders. Even when I used to get irked by load quality covering routes in the blind. I don't think you have to have worked preload to appreciate what a thankless job it is ... you just gotta remember the company you work for, how they 'train' and generally treat us all. An OMS once joked with me that it would make too much sense for UPS to pay preloaders a decent wage, god forbid more of them stick around and learn how to do good work -- nah, he said, of course the company would rather pay us $54/hr to run misloads.

If the load on my resi route is a disaster or I've sorted a shelf and still can't find a piece, and it's not on the back of the 6 or 8000 shelves, I've learned it's usually best to just sort the whole damn thing ASAP (or at least til I find the piece). Even if I have to pull into a parking lot and unload a few irregs to get it done. Like everyone else, I'll find irregs PAL'd to my 1 or 2000 shelves buried underneath 5s and 6000s. I laugh, think 'Fine, now I know where everything is,' and the rest of the day goes smoothly.

542thruNthru

Ask the driver how long he preloaded. If he's a scab off the street hire. Ignore him and make sure you load his truck like crap everyday so he can put in his time like everyone else. :)

Dough99

Go by they sheet. The driver doesn’t sign your check.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Get good at handwriting in visible spots (bag corners), make use of the whole shelf front to back sliding things around like books in a bookshelf for the first few hours, that's about the only major issue I see from people (otherwise it gets really crowded in 1 spot and empty in another)
And bulk stops can get packed into the 12 shelf/floor corners of the car. This is the only time I make an exception for hin out-of-order.
The rest is learning through trial-by-error and experimenting.

Last edited: