Pre-load to PT Sup (and beyond) Questions

Trollbe Bryant

Okay so before you guys tell me to search the forums.. I have searched the forums and many of the questions I need answers are either outdated or come from sarcastic trolls (although i do love trolls). I asked a FT sup about PT sup openings and the manager of our local hub contacted me and told me to keep my nose clean because a position is opening up within the next few weeks.

1. Will there be a drug test?
No I don't smoke or do hard drugs but I do use Adderall/Vyvanse (w/o prescription) for studying since I am in grad school. This would be nice to know since exams occur weekly and methamphetamines take a couple days to get out of my system.

2. Is PT sup union or non-union?
I'm non union even as a pre loader but was interested in joining after taking PT sup position. Never joined the union as a pre loader because of the lack of money and my service is better than most whom I work with anyways.

3. Health Care. Will more money come from my pockets/checks?
I've read on these forums (outdated) that PT sups have different health coverage. Tried looking into the master agreement but couldn't find a definitive answer.

4. Moving up to FT sup and beyond. Easier or harder than FT driver?
I am not interested in becoming a driver at all but am looking to make a career out of UPS. Even if I have to wait a few years to do so. Some say that PT sups get stuck in PT sup but others have stated that PT sups with advanced degrees do have more of an edge when trying to move to upper management (with plenty of seniority of course).

5. If somehow I do end up making it to upper management. How easy/hard is it to transfer to larger hubs?
Our hub is very small. Only 4 PT sups, 2 FT sups. I want to expand to Louisville or DC metro area in the future.

Thanks for your time.

McGee

Okay so before you guys tell me to search the forums.. I have searched the forums and many of the questions I need answers are either outdated or come from sarcastic trolls (although i do love trolls). I asked a FT sup about PT sup openings and the manager of our local hub contacted me and told me to keep my nose clean because a position is opening up within the next few weeks.

No I don't smoke or do hard drugs but I do use Adderall/Vyvanse (w/o prescription) for studying since I am in grad school. This would be nice to know since exams occur weekly and methamphetamines take a couple days to get out of my system.

I'm non union even as a pre loader but was interested in joining after taking PT sup position. Never joined the union as a pre loader because of the lack of money and my service is better than most whom I work with anyways.

I've read on these forums (outdated) that PT sups have different health coverage. Tried looking into the master agreement but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I am not interested in becoming a driver at all but am looking to make a career out of UPS. Even if I have to wait a few years to do so. Some say that PT sups get stuck in PT sup but others have stated that PT sups with advanced degrees do have more of an edge when trying to move to upper management (with plenty of seniority of course).

5. If somehow I do end up making it to upper management. How easy/hard is it to transfer to larger hubs?
Our hub is very small. Only 4 PT sups, 2 FT sups. I want to expand to Louisville or DC metro area in the future.

Thanks for your time.

I'll try to answer but DO NOT take it as gospel

1) I'm not sure BUT you said you use 'Adderall/Vyvanse (w/o prescription) '-Your words ... You should assume the answer to this is YES ( since there are times that part of your job will be walking miles of elevated belts and chutes, breaking jams, etc and if something should happen while you are off the ground and they have to take you to the hospital, they may or may not run a drug screen based on probable cause. MOST importantly God forbid if you are behind the wheel moving cars, etc ( sups DO move cars inside the bldg) and you are trying to park or pull out and have an accident I believe then they can and WILL have someone take you to the clinic where then you fall under DOT rules ( meaning yes you will have a drug test) and you damn well better have a prescription or you will have some 'splaining' to do ricky!

2) Non-union

3)Right now there is ZERO that you pay for insurance, the reason that you will not find any info in the Master is because THEY ARE NON UNION. Insurance is administered by a totally different entity.

4)No clue, ask your ft sup and/or center manager (Or other pt sups that have been there awhile)

5)See #4 above

Hope that gets you started, BUT for the BEST LAST and FINAL answer, TALK TO HR ( DON'T CALL EITHER, GO IN TO TALK FACE TO FACE).THIS INFORMATION WOULD BE CLEARER AND THEY CAN GIVE YOU ANY BROCHURES, ETC THEY HAVE IF YOU SEE THEM.

McGee

All bldgs are different, but if you can come back to see them after 9:30 or so is usually a good time ( since all the drivers have gone and most of the pt sups so you may not have a wait and can get all of your questions answered...) just go grab a coffee somewhere and by the time you get back you may find them in.

RolloTony Brown Town

Thanks for your time.

It sounds like you aren't in a hub at all if there's only 4 pt sups and 2 ft sups. Sounds like you're in a small center. Are you local to dc or Louisville or are you just willing to relocate. Are you willing to self-relocate because that's the reality of today's ups. You aren't going to be selected for a job by anyone in the region/district staff where they're going to have to pay for your move. You said you aren't interested in driving. You do realize that if you wanted to go further at ups, you may have to drive for a period? Or manage drivers? We're a company of drivers lol

I've been with ups for 10 years. I've never been drug tested. It is possible that you could get drug tested if the circumstances warranted it, but not to get a pt sup or ft sup position.

Based on your education, you are ahead of the pack. Pt sup is one of the most thankless jobs at ups. If I were in your shoes as a preloaded, I would try to go driving as a tcd or get a bid. If after getting experience as a driver and seeing the drive paycheck you still want to go into ft management then do it. Pt management was a great experience for me, but the road to ft supervisor is easier and faster by staying union and attempting to drive. The driving experience alone may also give you moveability to transfer to a different building as an on car supervisor. That's just my opinion. Follow your heart. I have no regrets.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Using prescription drugs without a prescription is a felony. Your ability to justify felonious behavior, selfishly, makes you a prime candidate for mgmt. You should have a "promotion" in no time.

oopsmn

I have been at UPS for 30 years , early in my career i was a part time sup so i do have some advise .

1. It is a non union position and your giving up getting sick days and still having to work when your short people. ( yes you are on a UPS mngt heath care not as good )
2. You may be in this position for quite some time depending upon what supervisors like you that will advance you , be prepared to be PT for maybe 10 years or forever depending upon who you know.
3. Join the union and go driving its actually faster to get into Ft supervisor going that route than trying to rise through the PT sup ranks ( again its who you know ) not to mention drivers will respect you more if you have done the job and actually know what your talking about plus it will make you a better supervisor knowing the driver point of view.
4. You can be fired at any time as a PT or FT mngt with no recourse and you don't get stock bonuses like candy that the old management received , also i lol at your transfer request you will go where they want you to go, don't think you really have a choice in the matter if you don't take transfers you will never move up.
5. i was only a PT for a little over 2 years ( i knew somebody ) and got to go driving and i never looked backed , honestly had a hard time taking orders from idiots above me that i didnt agree with , hope i could help out good luck with your decision .

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Thanks for your time.
4793126-9lsjb4j6.jpg

Trollbe Bryant

It sounds like you aren't in a hub at all if there's only 4 pt sups and 2 ft sups. Sounds like you're in a small center. Are you local to dc or Louisville or are you just willing to relocate. Are you willing to self-relocate because that's the reality of today's ups. You aren't going to be selected for a job by anyone in the region/district staff where they're going to have to pay for your move. You said you aren't interested in driving. You do realize that if you wanted to go further at ups, you may have to drive for a period? Or manage drivers? We're a company of drivers lol

I've been with ups for 10 years. I've never been drug tested. It is possible that you could get drug tested if the circumstances warranted it, but not to get a pt sup or ft sup position.

Based on your education, you are ahead of the pack. Pt sup is one of the most thankless jobs at ups. If I were in your shoes as a preloaded, I would try to go driving as a tcd or get a bid. If after getting experience as a driver and seeing the drive paycheck you still want to go into ft management then do it. Pt management was a great experience for me, but the road to ft supervisor is easier and faster by staying union and attempting to drive. The driving experience alone may also give you moveability to transfer to a different building as an on car supervisor. That's just my opinion. Follow your heart. I have no regrets.

Thanks for the information. Only reason I didn't want to drive is bc of grad school but I didn't realize that driving would help out that much. Makes sense though. I think im going to stay in preload and join the union. I got called for a bid list for driving and turned it down for now but am going to sign up again after a year or so when the opportunity presents itself. I asked around and the FT sups said to drive for at least a year to try and reach upper management.

Thanks again

Trollbe Bryant

Using prescription drugs without a prescription is a felony. Your ability to justify felonious behavior, selfishly, makes you a prime candidate for mgmt. You should have a "promotion" in no time.

Oh please. Half of my building is cracked out all the time and Adderall has NO negative effect on my work.

Plus many UPS drivings are alcoholics. "Let's drink something that has the ability to kill you" and shame people who use drugs that enhance your productivity. Makes sense

Trollbe Bryant

I have been at UPS for 30 years , early in my career i was a part time sup so i do have some advise .

1. It is a non union position and your giving up getting sick days and still having to work when your short people. ( yes you are on a UPS mngt heath care not as good )
2. You may be in this position for quite some time depending upon what supervisors like you that will advance you , be prepared to be PT for maybe 10 years or forever depending upon who you know.
3. Join the union and go driving its actually faster to get into Ft supervisor going that route than trying to rise through the PT sup ranks ( again its who you know ) not to mention drivers will respect you more if you have done the job and actually know what your talking about plus it will make you a better supervisor knowing the driver point of view.
4. You can be fired at any time as a PT or FT mngt with no recourse and you don't get stock bonuses like candy that the old management received , also i lol at your transfer request you will go where they want you to go, don't think you really have a choice in the matter if you don't take transfers you will never move up.
5. i was only a PT for a little over 2 years ( i knew somebody ) and got to go driving and i never looked backed , honestly had a hard time taking orders from idiots above me that i didnt agree with , hope i could help out good luck with your decision .

Thanks for the info. As I stated above, Im going to wait a while and stay preload. Sign up to drive after I complete my masters and try to work my way up.

Greatly appreciated

Trollbe Bryant

You came for information from teamsters after bad mouthing union workers in your first post and then get upset when you get responses like that?
You'll last long
I never bad mouthed any union workers. Just stated that my work (even new) is better than my Co workers who have been there for some years. Noted we have the ability to see our service output the next morning and for the months. If I wanted to badmouth them I'd call them lazy and such but my belt doesn't carry any slackers except when new highers roll through.

And if you read my first paragraph you'd notice I did use the search bar. Even looked at the master agreement (not knowing sup positions were not union). Even still these forums are old. The master agreement gives you information for the past couple years until 2018?.. alot of the posts are many years old. Just wanted updated info.

With my work ethic, im positive I'll last long.

Be gone minion

Trollbe Bryant

Also. Forgot to add, I am north or DC but kentucky has a lot of family ... and I know the Louisville hub is huge and I figured a foot in the door there could potentially help moving up the chain during my time with UPS.
Also, I don't expect them to pay for anything. Just wanted to know if relocating was fairly easy to do or if it takes time and a lot of effort (which I don't mind putting in)

Trollbe Bryant

I never bad mouthed any union workers. Just stated that my work (even new) is better than my Co workers who have been there for some years. Noted we have the ability to see our service output the next morning and for the months. If I wanted to badmouth them I'd call them lazy and such but my belt doesn't carry any slackers except when new highers roll through.

And if you read my first paragraph you'd notice I did use the search bar. Even looked at the master agreement (not knowing sup positions were not union). Even still these forums are old. The master agreement gives you information for the past couple years until 2018?.. alot of the posts are many years old. Just wanted updated info.

With my work ethic, im positive I'll last long.

Be gone minion
Hires*

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Oh please. Half of my building is cracked out all the time and Adderall has NO negative effect on my work.

Plus many UPS drivings are alcoholics. "Let's drink something that has the ability to kill you" and shame people who use drugs that enhance your productivity. Makes sense
Oh, bonus! Your ability to justify illegal and unethical behavior because, "everyone else is doing it", means you're going to go straight to full-time management!