Pre-record question

Nazzrath

I know that UPS can tell when a package is scanned and when it is stop-completed. I'm wondering if you pre-record a stop, then stop-complete it later in the day, does the system show the package as being scanned when you first pre-record it or when you come back to the pre-recorded stop later and stop-complete it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The system will show both scans. The only time it would be an issue is if the prerecorded stop had any air packages that may have been prerecorded on time but may show as late when you complete the stop.

upschuck

Have had people fired for prerecording a stop that was delivered with air and then getting an extra stop later on in the day.

Z

ZQXC

FYI - They also have a nifty little program that plots on a satellite view map color coded flags for the scan, the DR, and the stop complete.

For some crazy reason they prefer that those 3 flags be in very close proximity to one another. :happy2:

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Every once in a while I will forget a stop that I have in prerecord. I will complete it as a dup stop for the reason you mentioned.
Once in a while our mgt team goes on a tirade about the evils of using pre record and forbids its use. They can't answer the obvious question of how do you indirect a stop without using pre record.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Once in a while our mgt team go on a tirade about the evils of using pre record and forbid its use. The can't answer the obvious question of how do you indirect a stop without using pres record.

Prerecord, if used correctly, is a valuable tool.

Prerecord, if screwed up, can make a center manager look really, really bad.

I use prerecord at least 2-3 times a day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've used prerecord on a rare occasion, just don't see a need for it.

Person owns T-shirt shop (commercial), lives on area (residential) and let's me indirect her personal packages to her business. Two stops, one signature, left at T-shirt shop.

This doesn't save much time on a city run, but it can save a lot of time on a country run, especially if the stop is in the middle of nowhere and you can leave it in town.

upschuck

Person owns T-shirt shop (commercial), lives on area (residential) and let's me indirect her personal packages to her business. Two stops, one signature, left at T-shirt shop.
Could be considered padding your stop count(unless dup). Several years back had someone fired for similar.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We are supposed to only use Prerecord while delivering to an apartment complex type situation. We have had a couple of instances where the driver delivered a large Next Day Air bulk stop and accidently hit Prerecord instead of closing it out. End of day, hundreds of NDA showing an 8PM delivery time!

9.5er

How would combining 2 separate stops in to 1 be considered padding stops?

I do not see it as padding stop count. I deliver to the college in town sometimes. They have two sometimes three addresses. They all go to the same place. I figure if the packages are tracked and delivered to a different address than on the shipping label it could be seen as a misdelivery. So I prerecord all packages under the shipped to address and "left at" correct address.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it til I get called into the office.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The only time I prerecord usually is if I have like an apartment complex or townhouse complex. Sometimes in the edd they wont have the unit number so I just prerecord them so I have the unit number in front of me in the prerecord screen, its a lot easier this way. And the 2nd reason ill do a prerecord is when I leave the building in the am, as they load the big over 70s down the middle in my truck which is a 700. A lot of times in a small truck you have to empty out the middle before you can really even start the route. Its a lot easier to just look in the prerecord screen for the stuff down the middle than to try and remember every single king kong sized box you have stashed down the middle of the truck. And once in a while if they have a bulk stop sitting outside truck in the am, if that stop has has say 20 or more boxes for that stop ill prerecord them before I leave so when I get to that stop, its just unload and bam get the signature or the dr and im out of there asap lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry but if they all for the college and you are delivering them to one place you are padding stops.

I deliver to a college and the bulk of the packages go to the warehouse. All of the dorms are separate addresses. Many of the facilities gave separate addresses. They all go to one place and are considered to be one stop. Yes, I have to hit "Y" a lot, but prerecording and taking credit for each "stop" would be textbook stop padding.