Pre-seniority driving question

U

uber

I've driven the past 7 days. Today they called me and told me they didn't need me, but to still be on call until 12pm. Is this normal during pre-seniority?

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's normal at any time for a casual at my center. But, if you are on call, you are on the payroll. Not sure you want to push the issue, but that is the rule.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Personally, I've gone shopping at Sam's and Walmart on the clock. While waiting for late air, as it's under a 1/2 a mile away from the center. But, I was long past my 30 days and was a steward. I found out later the logistics don't matter.

U

uber

Well, I got called in to help a driver who blew his back out. Basically I was his runner. I guess it goes towards my seniority.

Right now you are a bitch. This isn't as bad as it sounds. Take their :censored2: and when you qualify make friends with some drivers who get in after seven each night. You know the guys. Management thinks they suck but these are the guys who you can learn from. This place is a game and your road is going to be way harder to make it to the finish line than mine was. Check that it is going to be impossibly hard for you but my road is a harder one.

Anyway your road since you are starting now will suck but if you learn to play this game you will have a better chance at succeeding. Soak up the game from the veterans as much as you can. If you do this ten years from now people will look at you and think you have it. Some young bucks wil come along. It's your responsibility to take them under your wing. Remember you should pay it forward. This is your obligation now you are one of us if you do hat I say. When the young buck come along that gets it more than the other 98% of the population give him his respect. You CAN learn from someone who is younger and this will cultivate an ally. With the people we work with an ally is a diamond and you just pulled it out of the ruff.

U

uber

Be careful with that. They might have put you on helper pay, and it wont count. Found out the hard way.

I'd be fine with that. Helper pay before Dec. 1st in my region is top scale driver pay. I'd be making $32/hr instead of $16

U

uber

Called in again and they said they didn't need me, but I'm on call til noon again. I wonder whats going on? Hope volumes just down and its nothing personal. I really want to get that 30 days in and I feel I did a decent job out there.

outta hours

There is no " On Call" status for pkg car drivers in my supplement only feeders. If you are not needed at start time you are off for the day. Check with your business agent. Do not rely on a managers input.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is no " On Call" status for pkg car drivers in my supplement only feeders. If you are not needed at start time you are off for the day. Check with your business agent. Do not rely on a managers input.

I would agree if the OP wasn't in the process of trying to qualify.
Stay available till noon.
Each day you work, whether a full day or not, will count toward making book.

OptimusPrime

Called in again and they said they didn't need me, but I'm on call til noon again. I wonder whats going on? Hope volumes just down and its nothing personal. I really want to get that 30 days in and I feel I did a decent job out there.

Probably no big deal. I only worked 4 days a week getting my seniority. Took forever that way.

CAFAL

wait until this week. volume is starting to move out of parsippany and meadowlands hubs in nj. peak starts early this year