Preferred Jobs? Was Grievance Outcome Correct?

I put in my preferred jobs form accepted and signed January this year.
Fast forward to this month I go check and see seniority list for preferred job area.
I see 2 employees were hired during this past peak season into the preferred job, so new hires working preferred jobs.

I submit grievance for seniority violations to try and bump them and was denied.
There reasoning was because at the time they needed preferred job workers I have not yet submitted my preferred jobs form but the thing is I couldn't have because you need 6 months seniority to submit it.

Was this decision correct?

Western Region Supplement and Southwest Rider

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Fast forward to this month I go check and see seniority list for preferred job area.
I see 2 employees were hired during this past peak season into the preferred job, so new hires working preferred jobs.

I submit grievance for seniority violations to try and bump them and was denied.
There reasoning was because at the time they needed preferred job workers I have not yet submitted my preferred jobs form but the thing is I couldn't have because you need 6 months seniority to submit it.

I'm afraid so. Being that you couldn't put your name on the list at the time and during the month of December UPS didn't have to follow the selection list it seems that the company used that against you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm afraid so. Being that you couldn't put your name on the list at the time and during the month of December UPS didn't have to follow the selection list it seems that the company used that against you.
If that's the case, how could a new hire, during the Peak Season freeze period, have the 6 month prerequisite time in to be awarded the job?

I smell :bsbullf:

542thruNthru

If that's the case, how could a new hire, during the Peak Season freeze period, have the 6 month prerequisite time in to be awarded the job?

I smell :bsbullf:
We don't have a freeze period in the Western (if you mean by gain seniority). Depending on what "preferred" position the op is trying to get into, the company has a right to staff it's operation correct?

So if the op is trying to move into unloading trailers instead of loading package cars but wasn't able to put in his paper work for 6 months and the company hired 2 new employees to fill that position where is his grievance?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We don't have a freeze period in the Western (if you mean by gain seniority). Depending on what "preferred" position the op is trying to get into, the company has a right to staff it's operation correct?

So if the op is trying to move into unloading trailers instead of loading package cars but wasn't able to put in his paper work for 6 months and the company hired 2 new employees to fill that position where is his grievance?
So a new hire gets instant seniority when hired and is slotted into a preferred job without a probationary period?

Sounds like piss poor language or a piss poor interpretation of your beloved Western Supplement language to me.

542thruNthru

So a new hire gets instant seniority when hired and is slotted into a preferred job without a probationary period?

Sounds like piss poor language or a piss poor interpretation of your beloved Western Supplement language to me.
How dare you talk bad about the all mighty Western Supplement! :)

I'm willing to accept that I'm doing a piss poor job at interpreting the language. But again what was the preferred job? Your buildings doesn't hire unloaders when they have no one on the list for that position?

The company has no idea that he even wants the position because he's not on the list correct? So do they not hire anyone until someone decides to move and then they fill their position or are you saying that the lower seniority member is moved from the position he was trained for because now someone with higher seniority wants it?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How dare you talk bad about the all mighty Western Supplement! :)

I'm willing to accept that I'm doing a piss poor job at interpreting the language. But again what was the preferred job? Your buildings doesn't hire unloaders when they have no one on the list for that position?

The company has no idea that he even wants the position because he's not on the list correct? So do they not hire anyone until someone decides to move and then they fill their position or are you saying that the lower seniority member is moved from the position he was trained for because now someone with higher seniority wants it?
One of us is either over thinking this, or under thinking it?

In my mind a new hire hub employee works as directed within their sort until they have enough seniority to intent into a "preferred job", while preferred jobs are worked by seniority employees by "preference".

With that in mind, I don't see how the Company can validate a new hire being plugged directly into a preferred job.

542thruNthru

One of us is either over thinking this, or under thinking it?

In my mind a new hire hub employee works as directed within their sort until they have enough seniority to intent into a "preferred job", while preferred jobs are worked by seniority employees by "preference".

With that in mind, I don't see how the Company can validate a new hire being plugged directly into a preferred job.
My understanding of the preferred jobs list was for when a opening became available. Not to bump lower seniority members out of areas that a member prefers to work.

That may be my misunderstanding.

542thruNthru

Cardio Saturday.

But...

Are you saying...

Technically...

That you are a ma'am since you don't use free weights?

Just being technical for future reference
So you need a machine to do cardio? Can't run a track like a man? All I use is free weights.
weight-lifting-equipment.jpg

Let me guess you're a Bowflex guy. SMH.

Overpaid Union Thug

When I was hired I was told repeatedly that “seniority is king”, “seniority is all we’ve got”, and “seniority rules.” But I quickly learned that what they should have told me was “seniority rules….except when it doesn’t.”