Preferred Position Question

Hi there,
So I'm new here but have been reading the threads for a few weeks now. I work at a small (very small) facility and our clerk of 30 years took 7 weeks of vacation and is likely retiring after that. While she has been gone our "spa" person has been doing the clerk job and I have been taken off preload to do the spa position.

From what I've read here and on my union agreement management can't post a preferred sign up sheet for either the clerk or the spa position until it is completely vacated by the lady on vacation? I know our spa lady will take the clerk position and no one can challenge her for it, as she's been here longer than anyone else.

What I'm worried about is when they post the sign up sheet for the spa position I don't think anyone will sign up. I don't like it and I know no one else down the belt does either. So my question is, when no one signs up to do it can management force me to keep working up there?

Nimnim

The Nim
At least here, and I'm not on preload so we don't have SPA people, but bid sheets do go up for clerk so that is a bid position so it's seniority that gets the clerk job. I've never seen a SPA bid so it's probably similar to pickoff for PDs where there's no bid but whoever is qualified can be put there even if they don't want it.

Usually if someone doesn't want a non bid position they do a terrible job so management finds someone else who doesn't know better and trains them as a replacement or they just suffer.

I'm also not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the line "present, qualified and available" applies to the SPA position.

CanOSup

One of them
Hi there,
So I'm new here but have been reading the threads for a few weeks now. I work at a small (very small) facility and our clerk of 30 years took 7 weeks of vacation and is likely retiring after that. While she has been gone our "spa" person has been doing the clerk job and I have been taken off preload to do the spa position.

From what I've read here and on my union agreement management can't post a preferred sign up sheet for either the clerk or the spa position until it is completely vacated by the lady on vacation? I know our spa lady will take the clerk position and no one can challenge her for it, as she's been here longer than anyone else.

What I'm worried about is when they post the sign up sheet for the spa position I don't think anyone will sign up. I don't like it and I know no one else down the belt does either. So my question is, when no one signs up to do it can management force me to keep working up there?
Work as assigned. Your assigned SPA. Have fun.

Don't know you contract... In local 177 the job can't be posted until the member that vacated the spot receives his or her first pension pay check if they are retiring.... As for the job not being taking... In local 177, if no one signs up for the bid, it goes to the most junor employee in that department... You really should check with your stew or BA... Good luck!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't know you contract... In local 177 the job can't be posted until the member that vacated the spot receives his or her first pension pay check if they are retiring.... As for the job not being taking... In local 177, if no one signs up for the bid, it goes to the most junor employee in that department... You really should check with your stew or BA... Good luck!

It's the same here-----they won't post a bid until the retiree has received their first pension check.

The thought process is the retiree has 30 days to change their mind.

Been here for 28 years and have never seen a retiree change their mind.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It's the same here-----they won't post a bid until the retiree has received their first pension check.

The thought process is the retiree has 30 days to change their mind.

Been here for 28 years and have never seen a retiree change their mind.

I some times wonder what you will do after this last yr. You gonna be the first????

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If your clerk has a few weeks of vacation earned and is retiring immediately afterward, she may begin drawing her pension while still on vacay. We're able to do that here, so long as we've signed our termination papers.

They still wait til that vacay is all burned up before posting the bid however.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I some times wonder what you will do after this last yr. You gonna be the first????

Up until the past few years I had tinkered with the idea of working past my 30 but with the way that the company has changed and the way that our local management team constantly "second grades" us I am "out of here" the first day that I am eligible to leave.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If your clerk has a few weeks of vacation earned and is retiring immediately afterward, she may begin drawing her pension while still on vacay. We're able to do that here, so long as we've signed our termination papers.

They still wait til that vacay is all burned up before posting the bid however.

They still won't post the bid until she has exhausted all of her personal time and the 30 days within which she can change her mind has passed.

AlphaMikeBravo

When I used to work in the HUB, the cr@ppy jobs that nobody wanted always went to the employee with the least seniority. There are only two options here. Purposely suck at the job so they take you off it and give it to somebody else, or do your best and work as directed. Personally, I would just do my best and work as directed, especially if you want to keep your career options open at UPS. Preferred jobs are SUPPOSED to be given out by seniority, but I've seen management purposely screw bad workers over,...(papers for transfer request "never received", job suddenly has special "pre-requisites", etc.) If they don't like you, they will find a way to impede your progress. Just work hard and do your best, and as soon as they hire a new guy, ask your supe if they can take you off SPA.