Preload 6th shift seniority grieve?

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
I’m in preload and been trying to get more hours by signing up for a 6th shift as well as double shifting opportunities for day and night sort. I know volume is light this time of year and there hasn’t even been a forced in list for 6th shifts like there was all last year, but I know my hub still needs extra hands sometimes.

I let my FT supe know and have been signing up for the extra shifts for weeks. I was talking to a lower seniority preloader and learned he has been getting the same 6th shift I’ve been trying to get for several months now.

The extra work should be given by seniority if I’m not mistaken so the FT supe seems to be playing favorites. I admit I’m not as fast as this guy but I’m a solid worker and have a good relationship with all the drivers I’ve loaded for. I’m thinking of talking directly to the FT supe about it but wanted to check and see if I’m in the right about complaining or even potentially grieving this if I have grounds for it. Thanks all

Commercial Inside Release

Talk to your steward. In some locals, they expect you to bring your complaint to Management's attention, and allow them a chance to correct it. If they don't correct it, give you the run around, or make excuses you believe to be contrary to the contract - then file away.

When you do try to discuss this issue with management, be respectful, and bring a steward to the discussion.

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
Thx for the info, will talk to my stew first. Was wondering how this stuff can be proven anyway cause I only found out when talking to my coworker directly about it. My FT supe could lie and say there’s not enough work to have me come in and I’d never know if it’s true or not. Is there any public record of checking to see who’s working extra 6th days or anything like that? Had I not happened to talk to this particular coworker I never would’ve known I’d been kept in the dark and been denied work that’s mine by seniority.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I’m in preload and been trying to get more hours by signing up for a 6th shift as well as double shifting opportunities for day and night sort. I know volume is light this time of year and there hasn’t even been a forced in list for 6th shifts like there was all last year, but I know my hub still needs extra hands sometimes.

I let my FT supe know and have been signing up for the extra shifts for weeks. I was talking to a lower seniority preloader and learned he has been getting the same 6th shift I’ve been trying to get for several months now.

The extra work should be given by seniority if I’m not mistaken so the FT supe seems to be playing favorites. I admit I’m not as fast as this guy but I’m a solid worker and have a good relationship with all the drivers I’ve loaded for. I’m thinking of talking directly to the FT supe about it but wanted to check and see if I’m in the right about complaining or even potentially grieving this if I have grounds for it. Thanks all
I always, always, appreciated a solid preloader. File against this.

542thruNthru

Thx for the info, will talk to my stew first. Was wondering how this stuff can be proven anyway cause I only found out when talking to my coworker directly about it. My FT supe could lie and say there’s not enough work to have me come in and I’d never know if it’s true or not. Is there any public record of checking to see who’s working extra 6th days or anything like that? Had I not happened to talk to this particular coworker I never would’ve known I’d been kept in the dark and been denied work that’s mine by seniority.
Have a steward request the time card for the person you believe with less seniority worked a 6th day.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Been having issues with this, and they’re not following seniority and the contract (what else is new, lol). I would file under NMA 3.7 (c), as well as any language pertaining to your region/supplement. You could just put “and any and all articles, language, and laws that apply” in the settlement portion for your grievance. Do you file grievances? If so, they may not be calling you up due to union discrimination, and therefore is a form of retaliation. Had a slime ball FT who told my coworker he refused to let me take a shift because he didn’t want me to file on his sort. Get with the stew or a trusted member on the shifts you’d like to double and have him/her bare witness if any supes or lower seniority members are working. They’re supposed to exhaust all local practices before having them work.

NMA 3.7 (c):
IMG_1398.jpeg

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Stew can perform an investigation. Supes working means there’s work available. Throw the dishonesty card right back in their face, lol. Hopefully that stew has a pair and isn’t in bed with management. If not bring it up to the BA and bypass the :censored2:ty stew. Or better yet, become one and perform an investigation yourself.

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
Have a steward request the time card for the person you believe with less seniority worked a 6th day.
Good call here, will consider this option

Been having issues with this, and they’re not following seniority and the contract (what else is new, lol). I would file under NMA 3.7 (c), as well as any language pertaining to your region/supplement. You could just put “and any and all articles, language, and laws that apply” in the settlement portion for your grievance. Do you file grievances? If so, they may not be calling you up due to union discrimination, and therefore is a form of retaliation. Had a slime ball FT who told my coworker he refused to let me take a shift because he didn’t want me to file on his sort. Get with the stew or a trusted member on the shifts you’d like to double and have him/her bare witness if any supes or lower seniority members are working. They’re supposed to exhaust all local practices before having them work.

NMA 3.7 (c):
View attachment 426617
Thanks for pointing out the specifics of where to look in the contract. I haven't filed before cause I didn't want to rock the boat. I like my assignment and like my PT and FT supes for the most part and am treated well. I have made lists of PT supes working before (when not training new hires) and nearly filed for it, but ended up not going through with it. I know mgmt is not my friend and I don't pretend they are, but I have been treated well until now.

It could be a misunderstanding and maybe this guy is on a different shift schedule than mine, but I highly doubt it. I'm going to go into this as professionally as possible hoping mgmt will do the right thing, but talk to my stew beforehand and have him come with in case they give me some runaround BS. I don't want to milk the system for every grievance possible trying to make extra cash, I just want the opportunity to work more hours than those with less seniority than me. Doesn't seem like too much to ask lol

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Thanks for pointing out the specifics of where to look in the contract. I haven't filed before cause I didn't want to rock the boat. I like my assignment and like my PT and FT supes for the most part and am treated well. I have made lists of PT supes working before (when not training new hires) and nearly filed for it, but ended up not going through with it. I know mgmt is not my friend and I don't pretend they are, but I have been treated well until now.

It could be a misunderstanding and maybe this guy is on a different shift schedule than mine, but I highly doubt it. I'm going to go into this as professionally as possible hoping mgmt will do the right thing, but talk to my stew beforehand and have him come with in case they give me some runaround BS. I don't want to milk the system for every grievance possible trying to make extra cash, I just want the opportunity to work more hours than those with less seniority than me. Doesn't seem like too much to ask lol
C61E8788-64ED-4CF5-9F7E-44BDEB84E244.gif

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd

Just file. Who cares about rocking the boat. The company agreed to the terms on the contract. By not filing you’re letting UPS know you’re ok with the way hubrats and other members are treated. Now is not the time to give them any leeway on anything. Just make sure to file NMA Article 37 if and when they ask why you started filing. They’re not supposed to talk to you about it until it’s settled with the labor manager and the business agent. Also make sure to go through the grievance process 100% so you can win the grievance. Start attending your local meetings too.

Cowboy Mac

UPS sees these individuals as a way to say the employees want more hours that’s how I look at it.

thanks brother got logged out then on vaca
✊🧔‍♂️
Yeah you’re right they like to group us all together and think it’s one way or the other.

For me it’s all about choices. Just because I need some days off when important things come up, doesn’t mean I want days off all year.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
Yeah you’re right they like to group us all together and think it’s one way or the other.

For me it’s all about choices. Just because I need some days off when important things come up, doesn’t mean I want days off all year.
That’s why I save my sick days and not call off for dumb stuff.
When my supervisor sees my number on the phone he says “ ok , see you in two days” before I even say anything
🧔‍♂️✊

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
you’re part of the problem not the solution, currently we are fighting to stop excessive hours . Then you volunteer? 🤦‍♂️

YOULL NEVER BE AN RPCD
😂😂😂😂😂
What's wrong with wanting to work more hours as a PT employee when the work is there and it's not being doled out by seniority? Mgmt should be forcing from the bottom up but offering from the top down right?

I never want to be a driver so no worries there :]

Commercial Inside Release

Don't worry about those jokers...
Talk to steward
Have meeting w\ management (if steward suggests)
Remain respectful at all times
File your grievance (if the situation is not corrected)
Talk to your steward if the retaliate (for aticle 37: harassment & over supervision)
Enjoy your win.

After all that, if you get a check, you have nothing to feel guilty about.