Preload: getting moved to a harder pull PART 2

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
So a week ago or so I posted on here whining about being moved to a more difficult pull and most of you guys told me to just suck it up and do the job. So that's what I did.

The job has not been pretty. I have not been able to do it by myself at all any day other than Monday. Tues through Friday they tack on a 4th car which makes it very difficult for me as I have never done a 4 car pull. It's 1100 to 1300 pieces total. I can honestly say on here that I am doing the best I can with it.

Today I was so backed up that packages were scattered everywhere and about 3 co workers of mine had to come help me finish the pull at the end of the day. My part time sup literally just stood over me and watched me the whole time.

When it was finally done he pulled me aside and said that he has discussed it with my ft sup and I will be getting a "lock in" which is someone who watches my every move and tells me what to do I guess? He also said that I will not be getting moved to another pull until I can wrap this pull everyday on time without any help. I just said OK I'll be here and I'll do what I can and I left.

Immediately after I went and talked to my steward and he said he would talk to my ft sup for me and see what he can do and that I shouldn't be worried about it.

What do you guys think?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
So a week ago or so I posted on here whining about being moved to a more difficult pull and most of you guys told me to just suck it up and do the job. So that's what I did.

The job has not been pretty. I have not been able to do it by myself at all any day other than Monday. Tues through Friday they tack on a 4th car which makes it very difficult for me as I have never done a 4 car pull. It's 1100 to 1300 pieces total. I can honestly say on here that I am doing the best I can with it.

Today I was so backed up that packages were scattered everywhere and about 3 co workers of mine had to come help me finish the pull at the end of the day. My part time sup literally just stood over me and watched me the whole time.

When it was finally done he pulled me aside and said that he has discussed it with my ft sup and I will be getting a "lock in" which is someone who watches my every move and tells me what to do I guess? He also said that I will not be getting moved to another pull until I can wrap this pull everyday on time without any help. I just said OK I'll be here and I'll do what I can and I left.

Immediately after I went and talked to my steward and he said he would talk to my ft sup for me and see what he can do and that I shouldn't be worried about it.

What do you guys think?
loading 4 trucks is pretty standard. Not sure why you would be worried about them watching you, seems they already are. The truth is the only way you will get moved his time do a horrible job. It is sad but it is how you get rewarded.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
loading 4 trucks is pretty standard. Not sure why you would be worried about them watching you, seems they already are. The truth is the only way you will get moved his time do a horrible job. It is sad but it is how you get rewarded.

I just can't afford to lose my job and I feel like this "lock in" is just going to watch me and wait for me to do one thing wrong so they can fire me.

Jkloc420

I just can't afford to lose my job and I feel like this "lock in" is just going to watch me and wait for me to do one thing wrong so they can fire me.
they r just going to tell you to optimal carry and stupid stuff like that. how long you been loading.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
they r just going to tell you to optimal carry and stupid stuff like that. how long you been loading.
Almost 3 years. I have been at one pull most of my time at ups but I come back from vacation and the pull next to me is struggling so they put me over there and put the new hire at my job.

There have tried 2 different people and they both have failed so they put me there and when I'm failing I get this "lock in". Like, why didn't they try a lock in on the other 2?

Jkloc420

Almost 3 years. I have been at one pull most of my time at ups but I come back from vacation and the pull next to me is struggling so they put me over there and put the new hire at my job.
I might ask your union rep about that. usually they can't bump you of with a new hire.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I've been at ups 15 years, I load 4 trucks, occasionally I get a 5th one.
I guess its just something I'm going to have to get used to. I've only done 3 cars all my time at ups so. I mean I'm willing to give it an honest effort and not complain about it but I just don't want to lose my job in case my best isn't good enough

Jkloc420

I guess its just something I'm going to have to get used to. I've only done 3 cars all my time at ups so. I mean I'm willing to give it an honest effort and not complain about it but I just don't want to lose my job in case my best isn't good enough
I wouldn't worry about it. just do what you can do.

over9five

Staff member
1100 to 1300 pieces isn't unreasonable. What is a lock in....do you mean like an OJS?
My guess is some sup is gonna push the OP all shift, and then say he should be able to do that amount every day. He will be "locked in" at the amount of packages he successfully loaded with the sup riding him. Anything less after that will be cause for disciplinary action.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I honestly think it's funny how they tell me I'm not going to be moved to a different pull until I can finish that one on time without any help... Like you're going to move me once I can do it anyway...

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
My guess is some sup is gonna push the OP all shift, and then say he should be able to do that amount every day. He will be "locked in" at the amount of packages he successfully loaded with the sup riding him. Anything less after that will be cause for disciplinary action.
How can they discipline me on that? My union steward told there's nothing in the contract that says how fast we have to go

barnyard

KTM rider
It is possible you will get some useful tips.

If you are stacking RDR, RDL and anything that goes in the last 4 sections, someone will say something. Anything you can get in a car with 1 or 2 steps, do it, don't stack it.

When you walk into a car, go in with an armload, not 1 or 2. Don't get them in perfect numeric order, just close.

There is a point in the day where you get behind, it is close to the same point every day. Make it a goal to push that time 10 minutes every day. You will still get swamped some days, but most you will easily wrap at the end of the day.

When I was done preloading, I did 3 cars with 900-1100 pieces a day and no SPA, looked everything up.

You have it relatively easy.

Shiftless

Dandroid, Just go in with a positive attitude, use the methods they show and tell you, always ask for a demonstration when possible, always fun to see if they can do it themselves (albeit on for a few minutes and not a full shift) But most importantly! Take the stress off yourself! Just go in and do your best and work as directed (within safe limits, no short cuts, enjoy your daily workout) more than likely they will move you or change things up. You get fired for "NOT" working as directed. All the stress you are creating on yourself? Pass it on to the Sup to figure out.

Jkloc420

Thanks for all the help guys, Really means a lot. I feel a lot better about the situation now.
You got to understand your numbers are going to fluctuate day to day. Your numbers can go down and up depending on what time short goes down or by how many cars you car. The volume affects it also.