Preload on call

Not sure where to ask, i have been going thru old threads and can't find an answer. I have been on call some days and on schedule others. Yesterday, I was on schedule but they called an hour before and said I was on standby for the first hour. Just wondering if they can schedule you, then tell you not to come in. Never had a job like that before.

PT Car Washer

Not sure where to ask, i have been going thru old threads and can't find an answer. I have been on call some days and on schedule others. Yesterday, I was on schedule but they called an hour before and said I was on standby for the first hour. Just wondering if they can schedule you, then tell you not to come in. Never had a job like that before.
I have never had a job that treated employees so poorly. Some say it is because we have Union protection, if we use it. Others say it is because the supervisors and bottom managers are treated so poorly by their bosses. You need to talk to a Union steward or Union representative to find out your rights.

Thanks! The only problem with being on call is, I don't know when my seniority starts. Some weeks I work the whole week, other times only one day a week. I did miss a call once, but that was a couple months ago, nobody ever said anything to me about it.

UPS Preloader

Thanks! The only problem with being on call is, I don't know when my seniority starts. Some weeks I work the whole week, other times only one day a week. I did miss a call once, but that was a couple months ago, nobody ever said anything to me about it.

First thing you need to determine is whether or not you've obtained seniority. Once you've obtained seniority you can then require them to abide by the contract. Where I am, they can't lay you off an hour before the shift. (And there's no such thing as being "On Call", your on layoff.)

I will ask about seniority. Thanks for all the help. I say "on call" only because that's what the schedule says. It does aggravate my husband, because when I am on call, they will call an hour before to say they might call in an hour for me to come in. A lot of times they don't, so I get up at 2:30 - 3:00 am for nothing. I hope it's only for summer, then on schedule weekly starting fall.

UPS Preloader

I will ask about seniority. Thanks for all the help. I say "on call" only because that's what the schedule says. It does aggravate my husband, because when I am on call, they will call an hour before to say they might call in an hour for me to come in. A lot of times they don't, so I get up at 2:30 - 3:00 am for nothing. I hope it's only for summer, then on schedule weekly starting fall.

People on call are paid to answer the call. You answer the call if you want to work, otherwise your only obligation is to get back to them and let them know when you'll be available. Here in New England, if we miss the call, we always ask why the call was made. If it's simply due to piss poor planning, we'll grieve it to get the highest senioriyty person that missed the call paid. Calling in someone in the morning is supposed to be for call outs and no shows, not due to heavier volume.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver

No such thing as on call around here. You are either working or not. If not, you are laid off. You are required to have 48 hours notice of any schedule change here. Otherwise, you show up and get6 paid for at least your minimum.

shalang

Here we have a guarantee. Depending on which contract we are on, some are guaranteed 3 1/2 or 4 hours a day.

This "on call" thing sounds ludicrous, at least here. Sounds like how they used our driver helpers during peak. Never thought it would be done to regular workers.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Here we have a guarantee. Depending on which contract we are on, some are guaranteed 3 1/2 or 4 hours a day.

This "on call" thing sounds ludicrous, at least here. Sounds like how they used our driver helpers during peak. Never thought it would be done to regular workers.

"Depending on which contract we are on"

What does that even mean?