Preload Sup...

Is it worth it?

• Total voters

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
I recently was offered or at least asked if I was interested in being a supervisor. I have been working for ups for maybe 2 months, and being in my early 20's I find the prospect of supervisor pretty cool. But from reading on this forum and from other supervisors at work it has me wondering if I should even go for it. I am in school right now and UPS is not my intended career, I am getting my pilots license and a degree and if I do work for them I would maybe like to fly. But driver seems like something I would be interested in doing for the time being. But is becoming a Sup really like Hotel California? "You can check out anytime you'd like, but you can never leave"? Is the money worth it? Would it be advantageous being young so I can always leave it to do it for the credit on a resume? Thoughts?

Box Ox

Make sure you're getting a degree in something useful, go PT sup for now, and get the :censored2: out and on to something better when you're done with school.

If you might stay at UPS after school, stay union hourly. But I'd really recommend against it.

Indecisi0n

You been here two months and the company is asking you to supervise and direct people on how to do a job that you have still yourself don't know how to do, that says something.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I recently was offered or at least asked if I was interested in being a supervisor. I have been working for ups for maybe 2 months, and being in my early 20's I find the prospect of supervisor pretty cool. But from reading on this forum and from other supervisors at work it has me wondering if I should even go for it. I am in school right now and UPS is not my intended career, I am getting my pilots license and a degree and if I do work for them I would maybe like to fly. But driver seems like something I would be interested in doing for the time being. But is becoming a Sup really like Hotel California? "You can check out anytime you'd like, but you can never leave"? Is the money worth it? Would it be advantageous being young so I can always leave it to do it for the credit on a resume? Thoughts?
I hope your not paying for it with your lean muscles

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I went into part time supervision in the early 90’s. Did this while in College because Full time management said that was the quickest way to go driving. In the 3 years, as PT Sup on the preload, I watched 12 part timers below my hire date go driving (3 to 1 back then). Had to quit College because management was working me 40 to 50 hours a week based on a 25 hour pay week (no compensation for the extra hours). So do not believe anything that management tells you.

unloady

Have fun paying for your benefits and having to "supervise" employees who make more money than you. You will be stuck at a dead end part time supervisor for your whole career at this company. Also realize you have no protections like a union employee. You can be let go at any time for any reason. Like everyone else said, if you arent going to school to learn a skill or trade for a real job just quit.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I touch myself

Need a hand ?
image000000.gif