Preload supervisor vs. package handler

Northwest-guy

I'm a guy in my early 40s looking to make some extra money. I have a full-time office job during the day.

I'm interested in either being a package handler or preload supervisor. I figure both jobs will require me to bust my butt. I'm not too worried about that part of it; I'm in decent shape for a guy my age.

Does UPS look at people my age? Or am I delusional? I figure it could be a good part-time job, maybe even just for a year or two.

About a year ago, I did an in-person tour of a facility for a package handler position and the supervisor said HR would call me back for an interview. They never did.

Not sure if that's a bad sign, or just something that fell through the cracks. I'm open to any and all perspectives.

542thruNthru

I'm a guy in my early 40s looking to make some extra money. I have a full-time office job during the day.

I'm interested in either being a package handler or preload supervisor. I figure both jobs will require me to bust my butt. I'm not too worried about that part of it; I'm in decent shape for a guy my age.

Does UPS look at people my age? Or am I delusional? I figure it could be a good part-time job, maybe even just for a year or two.

About a year ago, I did an in-person tour of a facility for a package handler position and the supervisor said HR would call me back for an interview. They never did.

Not sure if that's a bad sign, or just something that fell through the cracks. I'm open to any and all perspectives.

Doing it for extra money or health benefits?

I'd stay union for the health benefits. Saves you even more money if your regular job doesn't have great health benefits

RTCD

There are thousands of ways to make extra money. Neither package handler nor PT sup are one of those.

Sell a few things on eBay and be grateful HR never returned your call.

sandwich

The resident gearhead

UPS is currently on a hiring freeze due to the virus. Some buildings are seeing massive amounts of volume while some buildings are laying off

AwashBwashCwash

There are only 3 reasons to work part-time at UPS

1) You want to be a driver some day
2) You need the health insurance
3) You need the tuition assistance

If you just want more money you would be better served focusing on your current career and finding ways to improve your skills and negotiate for a higher salary IMO.
At UPS preload you would be waking up around 3 AM every day and then going to your other job all day.
That's the dummy way of getting more money.

Justaloader

I'm in my late 30's, and am a package handler. I'm working here for the same reason - bit of extra money in my pocket, and this is the only job I found that had hours that work around my daytime job. That, and like other posters have mentioned, the medical benefits here are second to none. Once I'm able to cancel the insurance through my day job (and have my wife cancel hers), that'll put just over a grand a month back in our pockets. That, and I like physical labor. Saves me the cost of a gym membership.

Justaloader

When peak season arrives don't be surprised if they expect you to work "....until the job is done" hence interfering with your day job and under threat of termination.

I'm a loader on the twilight shift, and have already been through peak. I've worked from 5 pm till 1 am....went home, showered, slept, got up at 7am, and went to my day job. Sometimes that was 4 out of the 5 days of the week. Not a problem at all - one does what they have to do.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I'm a loader on the twilight shift, and have already been through peak. I've worked from 5 pm till 1 am....went home, showered, slept, got up at 7am, and went to my day job. Sometimes that was 4 out of the 5 days of the week. Not a problem at all - one does what they have to do.
I don't believe that was what @trickpony1 meant. (And he may feel free to correct me as necessary.)

The problem is when shifts overlap during peak.
I.e. when your day job starts at 10, and UPS, which normally ends around 9, decides you need to stay on the clock moving skids around till 11.
Less of a "suck it up, and get working" thing, as it is UPS demanding that your life adapt itself to their constantly changing requirements at all times.

Justaloader

I don't believe that was what @trickpony1 meant. (And he may feel free to correct me as necessary.)

The problem is when shifts overlap during peak.
I.e. when your day job starts at 10, and UPS, which normally ends around 9, decides you need to stay on the clock moving skids around till 11.
Less of a "suck it up, and get working" thing, as it is UPS demanding that your life adapt itself to their constantly changing requirements at all times.

Fair enough - I probably took it out of context, and for that I apologize. However, that reason right there is why I work the twilight shift. The only time an overlap happened was with start times (there were times when they wanted to start at 3 pm - I'm not able to make it to the building until 4:15ish, depending on traffic). I advised my superiors of my situation and, thankfully, they were understanding / accomodating. I understand others may not be so fortunate to have "decent" supervisors.

Last edited:

BeachBoy

It all depends on where you are and what kind of worker you are.
I did drivers helper for years, decided to try a peak in the hub, preload.
Last year I did 2300 hours, 1000 of which were either time and a half, or double time. I'm on track to do more this year, unless massive layoffs occur.
If you spend more time working than on your phone, you are probably golden.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist

I and 46 and started this past October before peak season. I am just there for the benefits and have my own business during the day. It is a good way to make extra money and save a ton of money paying for insurance, which I am looking forward to. I am still waiting for mine to kick in (july). Some of the preloaders I work with are business owners or farmers. There are a few who work there and work another job, but they are waiting to get into driving. One thing is that you are opening many options for yourself in terms of extra money, great insurance, possibly a better paying job if you go into driving, etc. It is not going to hurt you I can tell you that. Just go in and do your job and you will have no problems at all. As far as being a supervisor, from what I can tell, it is just more headaches, but still a good PT job. PS...from December 1 until January 1, I hope you have a regular job where you can catch a nap. Start time was 1-2AM and left the building about 9-10AM.

PT Car Washer

I and 46 and started this past October before peak season. I am just there for the benefits and have my own business during the day. It is a good way to make extra money and save a ton of money paying for insurance, which I am looking forward to. I am still waiting for mine to kick in (july). Some of the preloaders I work with are business owners or farmers. There are a few who work there and work another job, but they are waiting to get into driving. One thing is that you are opening many options for yourself in terms of extra money, great insurance, possibly a better paying job if you go into driving, etc. It is not going to hurt you I can tell you that. Just go in and do your job and you will have no problems at all. As far as being a supervisor, from what I can tell, it is just more headaches, but still a good PT job. PS...from December 1 until January 1, I hope you have a regular job where you can catch a nap. Start time was 1-2AM and left the building about 9-10AM.
Some guys, if they are able, take vacations or time off from their 2nd job during Peak and double shift. OT after 5 hrs can really add up.