preload/TCD

antrejo05

Was hired as permanent preload/TCD. Went straight to driver school. Completed school week ago. Have not been called in to preload. Sup says she will call when she needs me. Is this how this normally works? How long should I wait for her to call? I called last Friday for schedule as instructed be HR and will continue to do so every Friday. I think she us upset that permanent employees were hired.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Was hired as permanent preload/TCD. Went straight to driver school. Completed school week ago. Have not been called in to preload. Sup says she will call when she needs me. Is this how this normally works? How long should I wait for her to call? I called last Friday for schedule as instructed be HR and will continue to do so every Friday. I think she us upset that permanent employees were hired.
Yeah, it's normal and peak hasn't really started yet. You'll get called to work but it may not be until November. If they're not working you now even part time, don't expect to be working after Christmas.

PT Car Washer

Hard to believe after spending time and money to send you to school and you passed UPS will not use you in one way or another. Always need pre loaders or air drivers.

antrejo05

Yeah, it's normal and peak hasn't really started yet. You'll get called to work but it may not be until November. If they're not working you now even part time, don't expect to be working after Christmas.

Even as a perm employee I will not work after Christmas?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I did not rate disagree... New here. If did it was an accident.
K, then I'll answer you. You are not a permanent employee. You are a pre-seniority employee candidate. You have to complete your qualification/probation period before you can make seniority. If they claim to be hiring you as a preloader, then that means you'll have to work 30-90 working days (depending on where you are in the country) performing at the level they want you to perform before you make seniority and become a permanent employee. You can't make seniority during the "free period" which is the last couple months of the year. I think you'll find this thread helpful.

They will likely use you as a preloader, cover driver or both as peak ramps up. Here's the thing...If they're not using you now a week into October, they likely won't need you after the first of the year because mid January to late spring is our slowest time of the year.

To summarize, you could get a call any day to start working, but you won't make seniority and become a permanent employee by the deadline so you could be let go after Christmas for any or no reason...OR they could end up needing you/liking the way you work and making room for you.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
K, then I'll answer you. You are not a permanent employee. You are a pre-seniority employee candidate. You have to complete your qualification/probation period before you can make seniority. If they claim to be hiring you as a preloader, then that means you'll have to work 30-90 working days (depending on where you are in the country) performing at the level they want you to perform before you make seniority and become a permanent employee. You can't make seniority during the "free period" which is the last couple months of the year. I think you'll find this thread helpful.

They will likely use you as a preloader, cover driver or both as peak ramps up. Here's the thing...If they're not using you now a week into October, they likely won't need you after the first of the year because mid January to late spring is our slowest time of the year.

To summarize, you could get a call any day to start working, but you won't make seniority and become a permanent employee by the deadline so you could be let go after Christmas for any or no reason...OR they could end up needing you/liking the way you work and making room for you.

IOW, give it up now.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
IOW, give it up now.
Nah, if he has nothing else going on it could pan out and turn into a permanent part time job, but just want him to have realistic expectations.

@antrejo05, if it makes you feel any better...back when I started at UPS as a part time package handler I did it looking for a second job to help pay the bills and wanted permanent. They hired me as a seasonal employee in October and I knew full well there was a chance I'd only work until Christmas. In January they ended up granting me seniority and making me a permanent part time employee because they liked how I worked and ended up needing me.

antrejo05

Thanks for the info. One more question, how us being hired as perm pt different from seasonal if I could be out of work after Christmas?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Nah, if he has nothing else going on it could pan out and turn into a permanent part time job, but just want him to have realistic expectations.

@antrejo05, if it makes you feel any better...back when I started at UPS as a part time package handler I did it looking for a second job to help pay the bills and wanted permanent. They hired me as a seasonal employee in October and I knew full well there was a chance I'd only work until Christmas. In January they ended up granting me seniority and making me a permanent part time employee because they liked how I worked and ended up needing me.

You are absolutely right. A long time ago, I was hired for peak, and my center manager miscounted my days when I got called back in January.

The problem (for him) is that it doesn't always work out. He could work, regardless of what he was promised, every day between now and Christmas and never be heard from again. It's a harsh reality.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Thanks for the info. One more question, how us being hired as perm pt different from seasonal if I could be out of work after Christmas?
Technically if you're hired as a permanent employee it means they intend to keep you on permanently. The problem is you have to make seniority to be permanent and with being hired this time of year they can easily throw you away as cosmo said in the post above this one. Management is only in it for themselves and will do whatever they have to do to serve their own interests.

Until you make seniority they can get rid of you any time they want.

PT Car Washer

Permanent PT may only be laid off for a day or two after Christmas. Seasonal will have to go through the re-hire process and start at day one.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
In other words if you were truly hired to be perm, you'd have a better shot of staying after peak than someone who was told they are a seasonal hire.