Preloader being harassed by management.

Fl1pz

Hey, I'm new here and I've been working preload for about 2 months now. My center has had me jumping from various positions like dumping small sort bangs, unloading trailers, sorting the belt, and loading package cars. For the past 3 weeks I have been spending all my time loading package cars and it just really blows at my center, we're always short handed since we have two people out with injuries.

Anyway, last friday they gave us a late start (4:00 A.M) expecting a light day but instead we show up and have 10 trailers to unload. I go to my 4 trucks and begin work as normal, up until break the day is going fine...I'm loading at a good pace my trucks look neat and I don't have packages stacked outside of them. I don't know what happened after break but the rate at which packages were coming down the belt nearly doubled and I had to stack out the back of my cars just to prevent packages from slipping by me, and we already had buildup toward the end of the belt.

We finish running product as the drivers do their PCM and I begin wrapping up my trucks as fast as I can. There are still other sets of cars in the building waiting to leave but the center manager comes to my cars and singles me out for being slow. It was disrespectful and very humiliating to be reprimanded in front of my peers like that. This isn't the first time he has said something to me either, but he said that if I didn't improve my speed by the end of this week that he wouldn't be able to keep me.

What the hell do I do about this? My misloads are always down, I'm really good at that and when I do finish loading my cars always look clean and my drivers are pleased but it seems like management only cares about speed. Is my job in jeopardy or is he just blowing smoke up my ass?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Make your probation and understand they will never be satisfied and will shove their inadequate planning problems on the labor. When doing something smart fails, they rely on brute force to make it work. Problem is they are trying to pull a 1000lb carriage with horses that can do it, its just no one wants to take the time to fix the real problem, the carriage only has three wheels.

Fl1pz

Quit before you get fired

That's what I was thinking. I have a meeting with my BA tomorrow to see if the union can help with anything, but I won't keep my hopes up.

College starts soon and I'm almost through with it so it won't be a huge loss for me, just a little less spending money,

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Anyway, last friday they gave us a late start (4:00 A.M) expecting a light day but instead we show up and have 10 trailers to unload.
You must be in a really tiny center if 10 trailers is daunting to unload. That would be about 30 minutes work in my building. They run 12 doors at a time 1-2 people per trailer and turn a 53 footer in about 20-30 minutes

Fl1pz

You must be in a really tiny center if 10 trailers is daunting to unload. That would be about 30 minutes work in my building. They run 12 doors at a time 1-2 people per trailer and turn a 53 footer in about 20-30 minutes

We have 4 doors and run 2 trailers at a time with 1 unloader in each trailer.

UPSGUY72

That's what I was thinking. I have a meeting with my BA tomorrow to see if the union can help with anything, but I won't keep my hopes up.

College starts soon and I'm almost through with it so it won't be a huge loss for me, just a little less spending money,

Just remember once a your a quitter your always be a quitter.

Grow thinker or your going to get eaten up and spit out no matter where you work.

Fl1pz

Just remember once a your a quitter your always be a quitter.

Grow thinker or your going to get eaten up and spit out no matter where you work.

50 years ago I'd say you were right. But today where we have ethics policies and anti harassment laws, the way management treats staff is unacceptable.

UPSGUY72

50 years ago I'd say you were right. But today where we have ethics policies and anti harassment laws, the way management treats staff is unacceptable.

I see your still wet behind the ears. You must have been one ofthe people that got socially promoted in school.

Nostromo

You're on probation op? If so id try working on what your center manager/sup or who ever is directing you. They can fire you during that period, as for the yelling at you, really? Might need to check the feelings at the guard booth or car.

Sent using Morse code

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Speed up and grow a thicker skin. Especially the latter. You can't take everything personally here. Good job.
But not a touchy feely job.

Sent using BrownCafe App

browntroll

i would like to work in your hub, we mostly have "safety first" guys in my hub so a 53 footer takes them 2 hours with the exception of a few
"runner gunners/overachievers" that unload them in 45min. in my hub anything below 25 trailers they start asking who wants to go home.
but if i were the op i would work faster during probation and once im in the union work slow to screw over the sups hours.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was tthinking the same thing TT...10 trailers in a shift is a one belt center...like the BOG, sounds like. We do closer to 75.
To the OP....that is not harassment....suck it up or quit. Waaaah.