Preloader Pay Under Local Union 710 Contract

splcrx

I'm currently disputing my pay with the management at my facility. Under our contract the PT wages are split into two categories: Preloader/Sorter and All Others. Preloader/Sorter starts at 9.50 then after 90 calendar days goes to 10.50. All Others starts at 8.50 then after 90 calendar days goes to 9.50. I was hired on as a seasonal Preloader with starting pay of 8.50/hr. They decided to keep me after the seasonal work was up and my pay went up to 9.50/hr. This raise was only after I went to my manager and had to count the days on the calendar with her. This is where I'm unsure. I thought that once I was kept as a Preloader I would be bumped up to 10.50/hr after 90 days. However, they are now telling me that all preloaders are now classified as Unskilled Preloader. My manager stated that this is because they implemented the PAL system (a label with the truck name and it's package car orientation #) and that no testing is required to do the job. I currently have our HR rep and a union steward checking into this. Any thoughts on the matter? I need as much advice as i can get. Thank you in advance.

steward71

File a grievance if they do not work this out. they tried this crap on preload when they place the system in our building. go a shop steward and talk with them have him or her go with you. this is not true the agreement is the agreement. Call your local if you don't getting anywhere with the steward.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
My thoughts: you're right on this issue. If you have to file a grievance, make sure you also include a request for penalty pay. It sounds like you were even underpaid as a seasonal hire. While your union steward is 'checking into this', find out how far back in time you can go to recover the underpayment (through the grievance process).
Check with your coworkers who are preloaders and sorters. If what your manager said was true, all of them would have had $1/hr taken away from them. I'm not buying it.

splcrx

I know I'm not the only one that this is happening to. All the preloaders hired after August 1, 2008 are being paid this way and a couple have asked me about this as well. I've been having nothing but trouble in our facility. From supervisors helping split the belts and handling packages to safety issues being treated as a joke. I'm worried they're going to try to can me due to all the noise I'm making, but I show up on time and work hard.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you work the preload shift and work as a preloader, you get the extra dollar. It is a fairly open and shut case.

The reason UPS is selling this is because you were not trained and probably should not be preloading, according to them. So tread your path carefully; they will move you to where you WILL NOT be making a dollar, after you "raise" hell and perhaps get backpay for yourself and maybe others.

splcrx

They did train me on the preload if you can call it that. The super sup trained me on how to split the belt and load a package car the first day I was there. Day two they had me unload a trailer, then after break moved me back to loading pakcage cars and I've been doing it ever since. I definitley see them moving me to an "all other" position after this, but this is happening to others as well.

steward71

If you work the preload shift and work as a preloader, you get the extra dollar. It is a fairly open and shut case.

The reason UPS is selling this is because you were not trained and probably should not be preloading, according to them. So tread your path carefully; they will move you to where you WILL NOT be making a dollar, after you "raise" hell and perhaps get backpay for yourself and maybe others.

Sleeve is rigth fight this all the way. Like I stated before they tried this on my shift when they placed the system in my building. Everyone on my building who works preload gets the $1 more an hour. You need to act now. Sounds like many of you will get back pay.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They did train me on the preload if you can call it that. The super sup trained me on how to split the belt and load a package car the first day I was there. Day two they had me unload a trailer, then after break moved me back to loading pakcage cars and I've been doing it ever since. I definitley see them moving me to an "all other" position after this, but this is happening to others as well.

Fight the good fight. Forget about yourself and think of everyone else, that is how you do the right thing.

Afterwards you can file a grievance for harrassment when they move you for filing the grievance for back pay and improper pay classification. ;)

dillweed

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. I'm in 710 and never heard a peep about this change, nor have I heard any preloaders complaining. I say fight it.

splcrx

Thank you for your support and advice. I do plan to fight this for the better of Teamsters in my facility. I should be hearing from the steward and the HR department today.

menotyou

bella amicizia
At my center. they give the dollar at the get-go, just to try and keep you in this hellhole. As Hondo said, Art. 50-penalty pay/double pay for any payroll issue. You are right and do not let them tell you different. Your time started when you were hired as a seasonal, BTW.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Speaking of PAS/PAL, they tried making the SPA/DA area non-union when they brought it to my center. We had big wigs who were so big. their wigs barely fit in the building. I was still in the feeder at the time, and we were use to a 112 number. We had to go back down to an 85 when the system started. My bitchin' coupled with a feeder flow they had no hopes of keeping up with, well, wouldn't you know it- my partner and I were pulled out of the feeder and trained in DA and SPA while the newbies(who started paying dues) went into the feeder.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Speaking of PAS/PAL, they tried making the SPA/DA area non-union when they brought it to my center. We had big wigs who were so big. their wigs barely fit in the building. I was still in the feeder at the time, and we were use to a 112 number. We had to go back down to an 85 when the system started. My bitchin' coupled with a feeder flow they had no hopes of keeping up with, well, wouldn't you know it- my partner and I were pulled out of the feeder and trained in DA and SPA while the newbies(who started paying dues) went into the feeder.

When I was PT , in a small building, I was a preloader and was moved to the unload. It was 2004.

PAS was installed and a whole crew of newbies were hired to do the SPA/DA. None of the jobs were available for seniority people to go into when I asked about it. Not sure what happened since, say 2006, when I left. Sure was a slap in the face to be working so hard for several years and have a bunch of new-hires get hired onto the easy jobs.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My mouth can get me into trouble, and get me better jobs. The bigwig running the SPA, came over one morning and asked me if I had been given a typing test. I said no, and that was that. I was kind of selfish, though, because I could have said no one had been given the opportunity. I didn't and still feel a little guilty. Oh, well.

midwest brown

Sorry to bump this old topic but does anyone know if this counts for unloaders too? I'm down sorting the boxes and putting them on the main belt.