Preloader Raise

PAUPSER

I been working at Ups for two years on the morning pre-load. For the first year and six months I was unloading trucks and for the last six months I have been loading. The question I have am I entitled to a dollar raise? I was told by several people that loading is a “skilled” position and you get a dollar more an hour; however, I have never got a raise. I recently talked to the full supervisor and was told you have to load a for a full year to get your dollar. I then went to the center manager and was told you have to load for 30 straight days without a misload to get the raise. I wanted to know if any of these right or am I entitled to the raise? I was told by several drivers and preloaders to file a grievance. Any suggestions? Thanks

JaxUPSHub

I was told by several people that loading is a “skilled” position and you get a dollar more an hour; however, I have never got a raise.

To my knowledge loading is not a skilled position ..

I recently talked to the full supervisor and was told you have to load a for a full year to get your dollar. I then went to the center manager and was told you have to load for 30 straight days without a misload to get the raise. I wanted to know if any of these right or am I entitled to the raise?

Both wrong, maybe? You start at 8.50 (unskilled) 9.50 (skilled), you get $1 raise after 90 days.

I was told by several drivers and preloaders to file a grievance. Any suggestions? Thanks

Make sure to talk to your Steward before...
Have you ever 'sorted' packages, or put Spa Labels on packages? I believe these things are considered skilled.

But things such as raise depends what contract you fall under. Read it Up.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
pa upser

the above post might or might not apply to you, as contracts differ from one area to the next.

any pay issues should be handle the following way

1 you speak to your imediate sup
2 if that fails, you talk to the sup's sup
3 if that takes you no where, you talk to the steward for your work area, they would have a better idea and would/should have handled pay issues other than yours.
4 talk to the ba

now, you mention having two different answers from management. that right away tells me you are dealing with people that either dont know, or want to keep you at a sub standard wage progression. over the last 5-6 years, there has been a flurry of grievances for proper progression pay, all have won, and some well into 5 figures back pay. ups's excuse is that the progression is complicated.

keep your pay stubs for records. also keep dates.

I recently talked to the full supervisor and was told you have to load a for a full year to get your dollar. I then went to the center manager and was told you have to load for 30 straight days without a misload to get the raise
in our area, a loader is a skilled position, and you get the raise after your first 30 days i believe. jax thinks you work a hub, hence the mis info on loading

i do find that 30 days without a misload funny. no where in any contract that i have seen, would that language appear. so they are pulling your chain.

talk to the steward, or if not the ba. that should clarify the problem

d

I work in Western PA - a supervisor has 10 work days to train a preloader, of course that was before this magnificent PAS system. Then you had to load by yourself for 5 work days and if they left you loading package cars you get the $1.00 raise. In our building we still follow this.

Brown Rocket

In our building all preloaders are paid skilled wages. That way, if they need to send unloaders, or sorters out to the belts to help when the fit hits the shan then they can with out worrying about it.

L

Loufan

Nope not skilled position. Even though i think it's the hardest job out of unloading, primary, small sort, it's still not considered a skilled position.

Perhaps reference to Article 22. Section 5 would help with this question. Preloader/Sorter starts at $9.50 and All Others (unloaders, clerks, etc.) start at $8.50 an hour. Accordingly if one starts at $8.50 and then moves into the skilled job of loading package cars, they receive the $1.00 more per hour.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow lots of MISINFORMATION here. Dannyboy has it right-on.

"Employees working high volume direct or low volume direct shall receive the preloader/sorter rates."

This is per the NTL agreement.

Bottom line, if you work in a PD (loading), you get the $1.00 raise according to the national contract.

If you are not getting the extra dollar, you are entitled to a raise AND to back pay. Talk with a supervisor right away, if they do not answer your question to your satisfaction, talk to the sort manager. If you get the runaround (which the thread author apparently has), talk with your union representative. File a grievance for all hours worked (probably retroactive to one or two weeks?) for the dollar that the company has been stealing from you.

There is NOTHING in the contract regarding a "1 year trial" or "30 days without a misload". That is completely bogus and laughable.

blue efficacy

Wow lots of MISINFORMATION here. Dannyboy has it right-on.

"Employees working high volume direct or low volume direct shall receive the preloader/sorter rates."

This is per the NTL agreement.

Bottom line, if you work in a PD (loading), you get the $1.00 raise according to the national contract.

If you are not getting the extra dollar, you are entitled to a raise AND to back pay. Talk with a supervisor right away, if they do not answer your question to your satisfaction, talk to the sort manager. If you get the runaround (which the thread author apparently has), talk with your union representative. File a grievance for all hours worked (probably retroactive to one or two weeks?) for the dollar that the company has been stealing from you.

There is NOTHING in the contract regarding a "1 year trial" or "30 days without a misload". That is completely bogus and laughable.
WRONG. Loaders do not automatically get the raise. High volume direct and low volume direct are fancy ways of saying "pick off."

In my building if you are able to pick off, usually after passing a sort test and demonstrating you can do it, you get the raise permanently.

Loading package cars automatically gets you the dollar raise, loading trailers does not.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
WRONG. Loaders do not automatically get the raise. High volume direct and low volume direct are fancy ways of saying "pick off."

In my building if you are able to pick off, usually after passing a sort test and demonstrating you can do it, you get the raise permanently.

Loading package cars automatically gets you the dollar raise, loading trailers does not.

If Primary Direct is a "PD", then how does High Volume/Low Volume direct become "pick off"

When I picked off in a small center as a part-timer for *ahem* years, there were no "PDs" in that building. Actually neither of the small buildings I worked had PDs - either preload or local sort. It is only the hub that has the Primary Direct terminology.

I believe that high volume/low volume direct is a fancy way of saying HUB or small center; therefore anyone handling outbounds should be entitled to the $1. I know that ALL of the buildings I have worked paid $1 to loaders.

Of course that is just my interpetation and what was actually negotiated with the high vol/low vol direct language....

Nitelite

If Primary Direct is a "PD", then how does High Volume/Low Volume direct become "pick off"

High pick would see more volume than the low pick? :knockedout:

Pickoffs are entitled to the $1 raise, feeder truck loaders are not.

blue efficacy

When I picked off in a small center as a part-timer for *ahem* years, there were no "PDs" in that building. Actually neither of the small buildings I worked had PDs - either preload or local sort. It is only the hub that has the Primary Direct terminology.

I believe that high volume/low volume direct is a fancy way of saying HUB or small center; therefore anyone handling outbounds should be entitled to the $1. I know that ALL of the buildings I have worked paid $1 to loaders.

Of course that is just my interpetation and what was actually negotiated with the high vol/low vol direct language....
When I was a loader back when the hours sheets came out on computer paper, pickoffs on the hours sheet were coded "hvd" or "lvd" and loaders were coded as "lo." On their clipboards, supervisors would often designate pickoffs as HVD or LVD.

Major belts have a high volume pickoff and a low volume pickoff. The high volume is first and has space for a pickoff on each side of the belt. Most of the heavy trailers on a belt are located off of high volume, the only heavy trailer low volume should get is the trailer at the end.