preloader trainee calling in sick

Xpertthis

Preloader
So first off im a long time lurker, been doing ups seasonal for the last three years (preloader, preloader, driver helper). I finally decided to do permanent pt preloader. Im still a trainy/probabtion and 38 working days in. I had to call in sick today due to feeling very sick. How will calling in sick and still being a trainy effect me could they just let me go for calling in sick?

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
You'll be fine. Call your supervisor, let him know you're too sick to work, but that you'll be back tomorrow. Also tell him you'll be the trainiest trainee he ever trained.

watdaflock?

How will calling in sick and still being a trainy effect me could they just let me go for calling in sick?
How do you think it will effect you?

Missing a day or two because of sickness is (probably) OK but if skipping work for multiple days during probation, find employment elsewhere.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
"Trainy". I can't even deal.

IMG_1232.JPG

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Care train coming thru!

Moving-animated-passenger-train-animation.gif

U already proven to them thru your work history that u can do it.

Notifying them that you're sick is no big deal... u are just another unit of production in their eyes

Xpertthis

Preloader
Care train coming thru!

Moving-animated-passenger-train-animation.gif

U already proven to them thru your work history that u can do it.

Notifying them that you're sick is no big deal... u are just another unit of production in their eyes

Thanks, they make a crazy big deal about showing up every day and never getting any misloads, which i've done. So didnt want to just ruin my chances of making book.

Last edited:

Over 70

Depends where you are, and sometimes who you are. I slept through my alarm one day and never heard a single word about it. It was a Friday too so it looked even worse

Xpertthis

Preloader
Depends where you are, and sometimes who you are. I slept through my alarm one day and never heard a single word about it. It was a Friday too so it looked even worse
Im at the main hub in nyc, As ive noticed supervisors tend to be on point on being absent without explanation or being late without explanation.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I remember when I was in my probation period I was scared to call in sick because I wanted to keep my job. I showed up for about 2 hours, loaded the best I could, and puked 4 times. When the center manager saw me he told me to go home and call in sick the next time I was actually sick so I wouldn't get anyone else sick.

PT Car Washer

I remember when I was in my probation period I was scared to call in sick because I wanted to keep my job. I showed up for about 2 hours, loaded the best I could, and puked 4 times. When the center manager saw me he told me to go home and call in sick the next time I was actually sick so I wouldn't get anyone else sick.
Your Center Manager sounds like a smart person. Not many of them around like that anymore.

extranatty

Call out if you're sick. Don't go in. It won't affect you at all but they may yell at you before Peak. UPS is starved for preloaders right now, they won't terminate you over calling out sick once. They basically hit the lottery with you, doing sweat shop labor for almost nothing, when most jobs will pay you more to stare at your phone.

With a year in, I showed up sick, told them I'm sick, loaded the best I could, and puked 4 times. When the center manager saw me he told me to hang in there. Then, after I finished my set, my Asperger supervisor had me go clean up another belt, which I threw up on and then was allowed to go home. At least they're nicer to you when you're sick.

Edit: And another thing, if the road outside is covered in snow and you can't 100% for sure make it to work safely, call up your supervisor, say "I'm calling out, I can't make it to work safely due to the weather, you're welcome to pick me up". You hear their begging for a moment, then you hang up, turn off your phone, go back to sleep.

Twice my first year I risked my life to get to work just so they could tell me there's no work and to go home. One time I spent an hour digging the car out, was over an hour late, and I was still there before any of my supervisors/managers who insisted they needed me to come in. And there was no work due to the weather.

The point is that management is insane, ignore them.

Last edited: