Preloader...what to expect for the first couple weeks

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
4am shift. Had orientation today and got a couple packets with a bunch of crap in it. looks like a boring few days. What can I expect until senority?

km3

Harassment over your speed. If regular seniority employees don't want to work, expect to be kept late/until the sort is over. If they do want work, expect to be sent home after 90 minutes. That's about it.

Undertow82

You're back is gonna hurt. Your arms are gonna hurt. Your legs are gonna hurt. Your hands are probably gonna swell and hurt. You're not going to go fast enough, ever. You're going to miss sleep. But......make it through the first two weeks and your golden. I don't know your plans with the company but if you just want a fun little part time job.....you're gonna have a bad time. Good luck.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
You're back is gonna hurt. Your arms are gonna hurt. Your legs are gonna hurt. Your hands are probably gonna swell and hurt. You're not going to go fast enough, ever. You're going to miss sleep. But......make it through the first two weeks and your golden. I don't know your plans with the company but if you just want a fun little part time job.....you're gonna have a bad time. Good luck.

I've been landscaping for 10 years my body will be fine. I'm mostly asking what the deal is with the packets and what it means in terms of training

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Lol why are ups employees so sensitive when you tell them the job might not be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life

A lot of kids today don't know what hard work is. It is simply that reason and that reason only.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Your confidence is commendable but not only is the job physically hard, it is mentally hard. Most importantly, neatness counts.

joeboodog

Thanks man maybe I'll eat my foot I this job is harder than I think but I really, really doubt it
Don't say I didn't warn you. Most can handle the physical part but the mental part is where some people lose it. Talk and listen to your drivers. We want you to succeed. Use common sense. Have a plan each day. Most importantly, get the right packages in the right truck neatly. You could handle the physical aspects but if your loads are crap, you'll be gone.

Undertow82

No one is sensitive, and I'm definitely not a kid but most people go into pre load with "bro, I roofed, I laid brick, I landscaped, I go to the gym for 5 hours a day 7 days a week, I was in the military, I worked security, I was a bouncer, I helped my dad at whatever he was doing". Then they quit after 2 days. In the past 5 months at my particular building I've seen at least 10 new hires quit within a week. Not everyone can handle throwing boxes for 5 hours straight with no break, while they are riding your ass to go faster constantly. It's a tough job both physically and mentally. Especially for 10 bucks an hour. The quickest way to eat crow here is to go in and think everything will be puppies, and rainbows.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
No one is sensitive, and I'm definitely not a kid but most people go into pre load with "bro, I roofed, I laid brick, I landscaped, I go to the gym for 5 hours a day 7 days a week, I was in the military, I worked security, I was a bouncer, I helped my dad at whatever he was doing". Then they quit after 2 days. In the past 5 months at my particular building I've seen at least 10 new hires quit within a week. Not everyone can handle throwing boxes for 5 hours straight with no break, while they are riding your ass to go faster constantly. It's a tough job both physically and mentally. Especially for 10 bucks an hour. The quickest way to eat crow here is to go in and think everything will be puppies, and rainbows.

Plenty of people are sensitive. You must be new. And I just signed up a few days ago.

If you were in the military or laid brick or landscaped and can't lift boxes a few hours a day then you lied about your previous jobs

joeboodog

Plenty of people are sensitive. You must be new. And I just signed up a few days ago.

If you were in the military or laid brick or landscaped and can't lift boxes a few hours a day then you lied about your previous jobs
My neighbor's son started preload when he left the military. He quit after a short time (about a month) because he couldn't handle the pressure. Just trying to give you a heads up. Most people giving you advice have been there, done that so it would pay to listen. Not trying to discourage you but don't be surprised if after a week you find we were right and it was tougher than you thought. Just saying.