Prepostuous notion.

Packmule

Just thinking the other day about driver release stops and what it really takes to get things out of sight and out of the weather. Even talked to a supervisor about why they never seem to "correct" us any more when we leave things in plain sight, but they are running around behind our backs taking pictures.
Fact is to get them out of sight, we often must enter garages, unlocked cars, rearrange the front porch, and enter into back yards where I question if we have any legal right to be. Something missing from the garage? Guess who dun it? Have a dog shoot out the gate when you're trying to enter? Guess who's responsible? Pretty girl sunbathing when you get back there? Yuck it up with your pals right up until the time the cops show up because you've been accused of being a peeping tom.
Don't know about your areas of the country, but around here no one makes any effort to hide things anymore. Even the competition leaves it in plain sight. Shoot, even the meter readers have installed sensors they can read from the sidewalk out front now.
Perhaps it's time we stopped having to sign those pledges to get pkgs out of sight/out of weather.
Contract 2013?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I never thought of some of those points,but they are reasonable in todays world. i was once told I was trespassing while I was on a lady's front porch. Told her pkg was for her and she said I should of called her first!! LOL No problem,threw it back into the P/C and refused it...back in the day we could put refused sticker on it and send it through the system with out a clerk...miss those days lol lol lol

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh the good old days when you knew that on the 1st warm day of spring if you walked around to the other side of a house (especially lake homes) your chances of catching some sweet young thing or even a cougar sunbathing were pretty good. Sometimes you would almost tip-toe so as not to give them an advanced warning you were coming. Shame on you.

Packmule

That's the whole point, Rod. Your youthful banter is exactly the way the world used to be, and frankly, I wish it still was. Today, your "tiptoe to get a peek" would qualify you as a peeping tom, and you'd spend the rest of your life registering as a sex offender if someone filed charges. Getting a package out of sight just isn't worth the risk we take to make it happen. So again, language in the contract stating we are only required to get the package to the right front porch. If a customer want's more security than that, they are required to provide the means as well as the authorization to use it. No more hunting for open cars, garages, etc. And no more management sneaking around behind your back taking pictures of your DR stops.

DS

Fenderbender
Good point packmule,I have learned to be creative leaving packages,but sometimes it's impossible to hide them.
Barbecues,dog houses,rusty volvo etc...but had very few complaints.
Have they been on you for bad dr's?
Why do you worry?

Packmule

Haven't said a word. just been around long enough to know the time is coming...
There is nothing they won't use to hang the drivers out to dry to save themselves.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I hide them so good the customers cant find them. I really like to screw with people.
Dont have any good looking babes to worry about, and usually the dogs are tied, cept when im hiding packages in the "weeds"

satellitedriver

"Give me DR, or give me death"
I well remember the days of paper, and a signature for every package, with no more than 3 send again's allowed. Damn lot of fun dragging a Nordic Track around the neighborhood to get a sig from a neighbor.
They use to follow us back then and had a "traffic ticket book", to write up any violation they saw. The driver got the yellow carbon copy.

Back track audits, pre-sheet audits, yada,yada..........
I know my customers and I know where to leave their stuff.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
People by now understand the rules of driver release. I just do my job as quickly as possible and if there is a problem let mgmnt clean it up. I'm just following the methods. Putting pkgs in cars gets a little tricky with newer models with car alarms and all. Drop and go.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Drop and go is great until the S.S come after you and want you to pay for a bad D.R!! Do as your told when DR 'n a pkg.
Go in garage,shed,under deck,back yard ,in grill.. What ever. If some one calls,the Police know what your doing,and 'UPS instucted me to ' They have laywers to take care of it !! Most people are happy we do this ,but there is allways that fruitcake !!For the most part people know and respect that uniform,which will get you in almost anywhere !!

Packmule

I still wonder why the company hasn't issued a corprorate statement that they are only responsible for getting the pkg to the right front door. The liabilities involved in anything else seem staggering for a company that is usually so carefull. Anyways, just thinking it it should be contract language to protect us in a proactive manner. If I can hide it, great. If not, I'm not forced to take stupid chances trying to do so.

DS

Fenderbender
I still wonder why the company hasn't issued a corprorate statement that they are only responsible for getting the pkg to the right front door. The liabilities involved in anything else seem staggering for a company that is usually so carefull. Anyways, just thinking it it should be contract language to protect us in a proactive manner. If I can hide it, great. If not, I'm not forced to take stupid chances trying to do so.

Again...good thread
Better a send again than a claim.