Presidential Alert coming Oct 3rd at 2:18 pm

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), will conduct a nationwide test of the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) and Emergency Alert System (EAS) on the backup date of October 3, 2018 due to ongoing response efforts to Hurricane Florence. The WEA portion of the test commences at 2:18 p.m. EDT, and the EAS portion follows at 2:20 p.m. EDT. The test will assess the operational readiness of the infrastructure for distribution of a national message and determine whether improvements are needed.

The WEA test message will be sent to cell phones that are connected to wireless providers participating in WEA. This is the fourth EAS nationwide test and the first national WEA test.

Cell towers will broadcast the WEA test for approximately 30 minutes beginning at 2:18 p.m. EDT. During this time, WEA compatible cell phones that are switched on, within range of an active cell tower, and whose wireless provider participates in WEA should be capable of receiving the test message. Some cell phones will not receive the test message, and cell phones should only receive the message once. The WEA test message will have a header that reads "Presidential Alert" and text that says:

“THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I use a go phone ( $.10/minute prepaid and I get charged for all text messages , even though I can't send texts ).

oldngray

nowhere special
I turn off text alerts whenever possible. Otherwise its spam city. Like a text alert there is a power outage. D'oh! I'm freaking sitting in the dark!

oldngray

nowhere special
I wonder how many will freak out tomorrow ?
2e701746c.gif

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Please be careful tomorrow.
I fear many other drivers will freak out when that text message appears.
I can see many avoidable accidents coming.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Good for you, i refuse to become a slave to them dang things also.
Yesterday, we were having soup lunch at Panera and everybody's cell phone alerted....the National test. It was pitiful to see these phone slaves juggle the phones and interrupt their visiting with 'real people'.