pretend I'm not even here.

bigmistake

For the second time I had a Supervisor ride with me on Saturday.

She first stated to "pretend I'm not even here." She was curious as to why I used the GPS device on my cellphone instead of mapping out the route.

I first delivered 2 early AM stops then actually mapped out the route I would be taking.

Keep in mind I deliver to 3 towns. All in all 24 stops, 2 OCA's and drove 84 miles.

First stop was a Men's Wearhouse in a shopping mall, she was curious as to why I waited 15 minutes for someone to show up from the store. We were instructed a while back to not sheet deliveries for this store as closed or NI1 because it was a major prestigious account and they want the delivery made on the first attempt. She said this is contrary to the method.

I was working as directed, yet going against the method. Also, what is wrong with using a GPS. If anything, it allows me to be more efficient and is no more distracting than using a map. I input the address and listen to the voice guided directions from my shirt pocket. Is there something wrong with this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For the second time I had a Supervisor ride with me on Saturday.

She first stated to "pretend I'm not even here." She was curious as to why I used the GPS device on my cellphone instead of mapping out the route.

She may have had a valid point. The GPS is only good stop to stop while the map will allow you to choose the most efficient path to cover all 24 stops.

I first delivered 2 early AM stops then actually mapped out the route I would be taking.

Nothing wrong with that.

Keep in mind I deliver to 3 towns. All in all 24 stops, 2 OCA's and drove 84 miles.

First stop was a Men's Wearhouse in a shopping mall, she was curious as to why I waited 15 minutes for someone to show up from the store. We were instructed a while back to not sheet deliveries for this store as closed or NI1 because it was a major prestigious account and they want the delivery made on the first attempt. She said this is contrary to the method.

You did the right thing. We don't have one here but they have told us about the "special treatment" that this account is to receive. However, perhaps that 15 minutes could have been used more efficiently. Were there any stops that you could have delivered to and still made the MW del on time?

I was working as directed, yet going against the method. Also, what is wrong with using a GPS. If anything, it allows me to be more efficient and is no more distracting than using a map. I input the address and listen to the voice guided directions from my shirt pocket. Is there something wrong with this?

You will find that the more experience you get the less you will rely on your GPS or a map.

It sounds as though you are doing a very good job and, with a little more experience, will be able to put your GPS in your pocket and the map in the glovebox. Keep up the good work. Dave

klein

Für Meno :)
Ofcourse there is something wrong with GPS. It shows them you don't know your route ! Which is a big mistake.

City Driver

theres something wrong with anything you do

nothing you ever do at this company will be right

any problems are caused by you, me, or another lowly union member because sh** rolls downhill

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was told by an unwilling On Car Supe that they are required to find 6 infractions on each side of the form used for an annual safety ride.
This boggles my mind.
While I'm supposedly required to regurgitate numerous safety slogans with 100% accuracy, 12 or more infractions during a safety ride are mandated while actually operating my vehicle.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Your sup has to continually justify her own job. You dont. That means that if she cant find anything wrong with your methods, she will just make something up so that she has some sort of flaw to document. Her survival as a management person depends upon generating reports and manipulating statistics, not producing results. It is pointless for you to worry about what she says, because no matter how perfectly you do the job she is still going to complain about it anyway....so you might as well accept that fact and just smile and nod your head and say "OK, I will work on that."

One other thing; if an on car sup ever tells me to "pretend they arent even there" during an OJS...I will take them at their word and wind up leaving them behind at a stop.:happy-very:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A useful method for dealing with a chatterbox during an OJS...is to just pull over, turn on the 4-ways and shut off the engine every time they start talking so that you are able to focus 100% on the important things they are telling you. You will find that they very quickly run out of things to say.

bumped

A useful method for dealing with a chatterbox during an OJS...is to just pull over, turn on the 4-ways and shut off the engine every time they start talking so that you are able to focus 100% on the important things they are telling you. You will find that they very quickly run out of things to say.

Absoluetly now we are not suppose to use hands free for phones. It is just as dangerous for the supervisors to be talking to you while driving as it is to be on the cellphone.

brownrodster

Ofcourse there is something wrong with GPS. It shows them you don't know your route ! Which is a big mistake.

He's talking about saturday air. In my center we have 4 saturday routes covering the area that45 routes do on a regular business day. These saturday drivers cannot possibly know every g*damn road in the county.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Your sup has to continually justify her own job. You dont. That means that if she cant find anything wrong with your methods, she will just make something up so that she has some sort of flaw to document. Her survival as a management person depends upon generating reports and manipulating statistics, not producing results. It is pointless for you to worry about what she says, because no matter how perfectly you do the job she is still going to complain about it anyway....so you might as well accept that fact and just smile and nod your head and say "OK, I will work on that."
.:happy-very:
dead on there

DS

Fenderbender
Nobody has mentioned one important thing here.If you use gps instead of a mapbook,you will never learn where the streets are.Its also not one the the 340 methods.Since you planned your own route,that 15 minutes you wasted waiting for some place to open,as NYdriver said,should've been either utilized or taken as break. jmho

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
A long time ago and in a far off galaxy I used to deliver saturday air.

Before I left the building I would map out my entire route.

Buy a map :peaceful:.