Pretty sure I'm DQd

Over 70

If you don't know how to sheet a package and deliver it, you shouldn't be behind the wheel....you don't run into any other scenarios air driving...not sure what practice you get.

Area knowledge you might get a little but it's almost not enough repetition in the same places to really sink in. I've been doing the same rural air route for almost a year and I still have to look up most back road stuff but now know most of the beaten paths.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He is an expert on something he has never done.

I have run Saturday air on occasion and worked most of the "non operational" days like Black Friday.

Of the new drivers that I have mentored those that were air drivers needed much less help with the DIAD and had far superior area knowledge.

No one is saying that the pace of a FT driver is the same as that of an air driver; however, 10:30 is still 10:30 regardless of whether you are just running air or doing a full route.

Softconcrete

Ok my question... before I attempted driving I had a ft job and worked my twi shift, I did this for about 4 years and I do not want this again. After my dq I contacted the job about pt and they agreed and said I can even make my own hours. I was hoping to to work 7-12 everyday and try to get on my day sort which I would be thrilled with. Would you take air driver exp over that?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Ok my question... before I attempted driving I had a ft job and worked my twi shift, I did this for about 4 years and I do not want this again. After my dq I contacted the job about pt and they agreed and said I can even make my own hours. I was hoping to to work 7-12 everyday and try to get on my day sort which I would be thrilled with. Would you take air driver exp over that?
Take it. Flexible outside jobs are hard to come by. Do what you can to pay the bills.

P

pickup

You have no clue. Air driving is a different world. No pressure, 20-30 stops, no business commits, no picks ups... totally diff world brother

And that's an ideal opportunity for the driver and truck and Diad and area to all get better acquainted.

Faceplanted

And that's an ideal opportunity for the driver and truck and Diad and area to all get better acquainted.
I never air drove a day in my life before qualifying. He already knows the diad. He already has on/off car routine after almost a month. He doesn't need area knowledge as he does the same route every day.

I made it first shot without air experience. I air drove a few times after qualifying for tcd and thought it was a joke. Doing 25 stops with a bad on/off and start car routine is a HUGE diff from doing the same with 160 stops.

oldngray

nowhere special
I never air drove a day in my life before qualifying. He already knows the diad. He already has on/off car routine after almost a month. He doesn't need area knowledge as he does the same route every day.

I made it first shot without air experience. I air drove a few times after qualifying for tcd and thought it was a joke. Doing 25 stops with a bad on/off and start car routine is a HUGE diff from doing the same with 160 stops.

Air driver is mostly good for practice driving a package car (although usually in smaller trucks). You can learn some area knowledge but when you try to qualify as a package driver it may be in a completely different area. You can get DIAD practice but nothing you can't quickly pick up anyway. The biggest problem is the work pace is totally different.