Prime Now= Theat to our industry

Loyal Teamster

Hey guys, I've been using Amazon Prime Now(San Diego) for th last few weeks and it's Amazing. I order groceries or other items online and get it delivered within a couple hours. My coworkers are saying this is the Beginning of the End for us in logistics as Amazon will eventually take over the logistics industry.
Should we be concerned?

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics

rod

Retired 22 years
Hey guys, I've been using Amazon Prime Now(San Diego) for th last few weeks and it's Amazing. I order groceries or other items online and get it delivered within a couple hours. My coworkers are saying this is the Beginning of the End for us in logistics as Amazon will eventually take over the logistics industry.
Should we be concerned?

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics

The Beginning of the End started a long time ago. (Back when UPS went public)

Loyal Teamster

I haven't had a package arrive from UPS for a while. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and ship solely through USPS (cheaper n faster).
What's going on, how are we going to stay afloat?

Returntosender

Can amazon provide that service nation wide, including rural areas, and still make a profit?

I'm not to worried
Last quarter they made 600 million dollar profit. UPS operation managers are jumping ship to Amazon. Now Amazon is moving into the aircargo bussiness. UPS Air managers/supervisor will jump ship.

Indecisi0n

I haven't had a package arrive from UPS for a while. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and ship solely through USPS (cheaper n faster).
Cheaper? Yes. Faster? No way.
By the way thanks for supporting our business. I always select UPS when the option is given. I feel by doing so I am investing in my own future.

upschuck

Out of the last 4 things ordered through Amazon, 3 were delivered UPS, which kind of surprised me, because usually they are not.

BrownTexas

We have given them the means to slowly put us away. Amazon used us for UPS Surepost. Now they are bypassing us altogether and just taking trailers straight to the post office. USPS is ran by the government and therefore will get government subsidies. FedEx is protected by the railroad act. We have everything against us.

Star B

White Lightening
How does the RLA protect us? The RLA is used at X as an anti-union organizing tool as it's a pain in the ass to get organized under it.

badpal

The Beginning of the End started a long time ago. (Back when UPS went public)
Rod , people might say I am wrong ,which I am quite often, but volume wise , we never quite recovered from the 97 strike at least in my little neck of the woods.

Insaneasylum

Ok you make a statement like this but your name says loyal teamster? What is so loyal about that. I will never ship with anyone else know matter the cost difference. That a real loyal teamster.

clean hairy

You give your shipping business to the competition and call yourself a loyal Teamster?
Something wrong with this picture.

Loyal Teamster

Cheaper? Yes. Faster? No way.
By the way thanks for supporting our business. I always select UPS when the option is given. I feel by doing so I am investing in my own future.
When selling my books through Ebay,USPS charges me $5.75 for 2 day and 3 day shipping. If I choose the UPS option, I'd be looking at around $15-20 for 2day shipping. My customers wouldn't want to pay more for shipping.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
From what I was told before ups
Is required by law to charge more for next day or 2nd day air so to give the usps an edge !
If they playing field was level , we would ah. Crushed parcel post end years ago

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod , people might say I am wrong ,which I am quite often, but volume wise , we never quite recovered from the 97 strike at least in my little neck of the woods.

Does anyone have any hard figures on what the volume is now compared to just before the 97 strike? I would think with all the on-line shopping it would be way more now.

rod

Retired 22 years

I know where I live if I order 10 things about 6 will come Fedex Ground, 3 Post Office and maybe 1 UPS. I hardly ever get a UPS delivery anymore.