Probably asked a million times by a UPSer wife but,

nagginwife

My husband's start date was Oct 1 2010 I believe. We live in Twin Falls, ID. I know it's different for each area but can someone give a ballpark figure of how long of the PT till he has an opportunity to be a driver? He's working two jobs now and I'm working too, I hate to see him so worn out and busting his a** like this. Also... I wanna start having kids sooner or later, and actually be able to afford to take care of them.

Just depends on the area. I'm out of Dallas Ft worth and the wait seems to be 5-8 years, but Waco which is about an hour and half away is less than a year.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It all depends on the demand. If there is a need for another driver then the opportunity is available and he will have a crack at it. There was a 10 year stretch at my center when another driver wasn't needed. In the last 5 yrs we have hired 8 drivers as growth and retirements have occurred. There is no certain length of service before you can become a driver from PT. Your center is large enough that there should be ample opportunity for advancement....

klein

Für Meno :)
The Canadian Border is just north of you, so is Alberta.
Since you don't have kids , yet - a 6 mths working and temporary resident visa is very simple to get (6 months at a time).
Both Calgary and Edmonton hire UPS drivers off the street, and many other job openings are available (can't pass a store or an establishment here without a "Help Wanted Sign" on it's door or windows.
Many companies are so frustrated that they hire from overseas.

Just a thought !

The Canadian Border is just north of you, so is Alberta.
Since you don't have kids , yet - a 6 mths working and temporary resident visa is very simple to get (6 months at a time).
Both Calgary and Edmonton hire UPS drivers off the street, and many other job openings are available (can't pass a store or an establishment here without a "Help Wanted Sign" on it's door or windows.
Many companies are so frustrated that they hire from overseas. Or underaged girls and illegal aliens.

Just a lack of thought !

undies

Took me 4.5 years to go full time 6 years ago. The most recent cover driver had to wait 11 years and he started 3 months ago. That's out where I'm at.

rod

Retired 22 years
My old center has had 8 drivers retire since I retired 11 years ago. They have hired only 4 drivers to replace us. (I know what you are all thinking) but the truth is is that they just plain don't want to hire more even though those still working are putting in some hellasious hours.

Enforcerx

its between 5-8 years to go full-time. Im from so cal. Best advice is not to go driving, take a inside combo job it pays about the same minus the worn out body 15 years later. So in the long run inside building is the way to go. Hope this helps.

My husband's start date was Oct 1 2010 I believe. We live in Twin Falls, ID. I know it's different for each area but can someone give a ballpark figure of how long of the PT till he has an opportunity to be a driver? He's working two jobs now and I'm working too, I hate to see him so worn out and busting his a** like this. Also... I wanna start having kids sooner or later, and actually be able to afford to take care of them.

Justaname

My girlfriend says the same thing. I've been preloading 5 years and looks like itll be awhile longer. Tell him to hang in there.