Probationary Driver Questions

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Just started my 30 day packet in May have been driving six times so far. I've gotten close to scratch but I haven't hit it yet. As far as what exactly I have to do to make the cut has not been made clear. Neither by management, contract, other drivers, and or stewards. Is their a definitive answer?
Also how does pickups work in your time and miles? Some pickups are huge some are small? Is any of that accounted for. Sometimes I have to break away from my route and continue running stops and come back because even though it's next according to Orion I am too early to make that pickup or sometimes running too late not to break and go make that pickup. How do you figure that into your day?
Everyday we have left late due to preload so I run pure NDA first then go back?
Does ODS pickups auto calculate into my miles and time?
Management says I must scratch 5 days straight and be under on my time. While I believe I can make it happen I think a better understanding of how these numbers I'm supposedly suppose to hit will help me understand how to hit them. Thanks for any help.

Rack em

Made the Podium
If you come in at night, punch out, and go home then you're doing good. It's when they start talking to you when you have to worry.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
If you come in at night, punch out, and go home then you're doing good. It's when they start talking to you when you have to worry.
The have talked to me about my shoes first and then my shirt so I ironed it and then it wasn't crisp enough so I starched it and then it comes untucked so I started wearing the no tuck. That has been the biggest complaint so far. Lol

PT Car Washer

The have talked to me about my shoes first and then my shirt so I ironed it and then it wasn't crisp enough so I starched it and then it comes untucked so I started wearing the no tuck. That has been the biggest complaint so far. Lol
They have to find something wrong or the sups aren't doing their job. Also all the variables they are throwing at you is called a normal day. They want you to be able to figure it out. And when you do, you will be criticized for not doing it their way. It never ends.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Just started my 30 day packet in May have been driving six times so far. I've gotten close to scratch but I haven't hit it yet. As far as what exactly I have to do to make the cut has not been made clear. Neither by management, contract, other drivers, and or stewards. Is their a definitive answer?
Also how does pickups work in your time and miles? Some pickups are huge some are small? Is any of that accounted for. Sometimes I have to break away from my route and continue running stops and come back because even though it's next according to Orion I am too early to make that pickup or sometimes running too late not to break and go make that pickup. How do you figure that into your day?
Management says I must scratch 5 days straight and be under on my time. While I believe I can make it happen I think a better understanding of how these numbers I'm supposedly suppose to hit will help me understand how to hit them. Thanks for any help.

If you figure out what the numbers mean or how they come up with them

Come back and enlighten us

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
They have to find something wrong or the sups aren't doing their job. Also all the variables they are throwing at you is called a normal day. They want you to be able to figure it out. And when you do, you will be criticized for not doing it their way. It never ends.
That's supposed to be why we pay union dues. To lay out the rules so to speak?

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Is my questions really that big of a mystery? I finished day 7 today and had a sup riding with me so when we took some break I told him I wanted a full explanation of how this works and started listing off my questions but it is clear to me he also had no clue!

PT Car Washer

Is my questions really that big of a mystery? I finished day 7 today and had a sup riding with me so when we took some break I told him I wanted a full explanation of how this works and started listing off my questions but it is clear to me he also had no clue!
It is really no mystery. If the boss thinks you will make him look good, you will qualify. If the boss thinks you will be a constant problem for the next 20 or more years, you will not qualify. Of course we all know they miss a few problem children at times.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

1. it's all subjective based on their opinion of you

2/3. you have a time allowance for each pickup stop/piece; the allowance varies by area

4. the correct answer is to have your PDS correct your ORION parameters so that the pickup places itself correctly in EDD; failing that you just have to know enough about the area to make a good decision

5. yes

6. kind of, it's a canned allowance

good luck

short shorts

I just started my 30 day packet and only worked 1 day so far, these answers are helping me too! Thanks for asking them. Hoping they will need me more in the days to come.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I just started my 30 day packet and only worked 1 day so far, these answers are helping me too! Thanks for asking them. Hoping they will need me more in the days to come.
Drive safe , take no chances , be friendly enough to win customers over to get their help , hold your tounge when you should , the methods will get better over time , try not to get overwhelmed, the day will always end !
Be safe !!!

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Drive safe , take no chances , be friendly enough to win customers over to get their help , hold your tounge when you should , the methods will get better over time , try not to get overwhelmed, the day will always end !
Be safe !!!

One of my customers said I'm glad your not a grouch like the other guy when my sup was riding with me. I joked and said well check back with me in a few years and we laughed going out the door. I am a people person and very good at it. I told my sup that day your gonna have to hire me after I drive this route for awhile because the customers are gonna love me. And I laid on the smiles and polite manners hot and heavy all day while maintaing a brisk workflow. I was really putting on a show. Lol

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Good luck it's tough figuring it all out and I guess people do run scratch but I don't see how. But I hate to play 30 days of kiss up to the boss so I'll have to make it happen. I have noticed things seem to be a bit better now on day 8 then I was my first day riding alone.