Production bonus

Would Ups be safer without it or with it??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clarnzz

I work in a bonus center that pays bonus at time and a half. We have had one injury in the last year and that was a non-lost time heat exaustion and one accident.

As a cover driver I basically work at the same speed all the time unless there is somewhere I have to be that night, some weeks I make 0 bonus some weeks I make 5+ hours, just depends on the route I'm on. It's completely unfair, any smart driver bids a time study and not a route. I'd prefer to take the bonus if they are going to give it to me because I'd get off at the same time either way.

kingOFchester

I am in a bonus center.

Large number of drivers work through their lunch as they make up the time lost in bonus.

According to MANY studies, working our job with out a break puts our risk of an accident higher. This is why the new DOT rule will require a 30 minute break.

Indecisi0n

I am in a bonus center.

Large number of drivers work through their lunch as they make up the time lost in bonus.

According to MANY studies, working our job with out a break puts our risk of an accident higher. This is why the new DOT rule will require a 30 minute break.

Did we really need a study to come to this conclusion? I no longer say anything to runner and gunners in our center. Like I said before one of two things will happen, either an accident or an injury. We just recently had one of our gunners hit a stationary object.

Overpaid Union Thug

Eventually all of the bonus goes away. Over time big brother adjusts time studies to make up for bonus being paid out. There are a few drivers still RUNNING an hour or more under but the rest of us are usually barely under or an hour over. So you see....no need to vote bonus out.

PACNW

If this is true why not just vote out bonus in your center.

The answer is in the post, it's nice to have, that's why I personally wouldn't vote it out. Why would I give away free money? Why not give em back some benefit or pension money, or maybe a raise or two? Because I don't believe we should ever willingly give anything back to the company once we have it. This company works us hard and makes a lot of money, I'm more than happy to accept my share any way they wanna give it to me.

yeldarb

Maybe Im missing something... Here we are not a bonus center... IE has set the standard on how long it is supposed to take to run a route by using the methods right? If you do it perfect you should be running right at scratch? If you do it faster there has to be a reason right? Somewhere the methods are being violated to get done faster. Is that safer? Just sayin

Pretty much wrong. You are talking as if we all walk and work at the same speed. We have guys who put more effort into going slow, than putting in an honest day. I try to be as efficient as I can, and I do not run, and WILL not work off clock.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Did we really need a study to come to this conclusion? I no longer say anything to runner and gunners in our center. Like I said before one of two things will happen, either an accident or an injury. We just recently had one of our gunners hit a stationary object.

so only runners get in accidents or get hurt at ups? You no longer say anything to them, runners, is that why they all crash and break bones? What are you saying to all the other drivers that keeps them safe and accident free

I have one route that I cover that I can bonus anywhere from 75-145 clicks under depending on how much volume one of my pick ups is shipping out. I never cut corners to do so though I always take my full hour break everyday at 1 o'clock no matter how ahead or far behind schedule I am. I was able to bonus 5 hours last week. I'll admit that on most other routes I cover I'm almost always over allowed.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
Absolutely it would be safer WITHOUT it. *Most of the time in order to bonus you have to cut corners e.g. drive faster, run, make bad dr's, etc. *Bonus isn't worth it. *I wish they would do away with it.

Buck Fifty

I work at a non bonus center. I work by all the methods and preach it to all the guy (and girls). The only bonus aka free money is made by filing grievances, which I also preach and lead by example. Can I get an Amen !!!

Chargerwill

They cook the numbers

I've had my route about 6 years now. I generally pick up and deliver the same amount if stuff, minus peak and bad days. I used to bonus about an hour to an hour and a half every day. Now I'm over by a half hour on average. They don't want to pay out bonuses. They think I'll see the over allowed and speed up to make up the difference. Too bad for them that I only work safe and by the methods.
Play the game by their rules, even when some of their rules are dumb.

satellitedriver

Bonus center and non-bonus centers work under the exact same IE time studies.
Safety is controlled by individual action, not numbers.
Fear of reprisal for not meeting standardized time study goals is the main culprit.
Time studies are based on averages.
The flaw of disciplinary action pointing to a driver not meeting the average, on specific day, or even a month, is the fact one can not apply a specific to an average.
Only averaging everyday a driver has driven could apply to the "average".
Safety on the other hand is a second by second action with immediate consequences.
Good and bad.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Att: Tears in the rain

Boy, you've been around for like two weeks give it some time. You have experienced very little I can tell by your posts give it some time grasshopper.

"When you can snatch the DIAD from my hand, you will be ready to leave the Temple..."

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Here is another thing to consider. We are a bonus center. I don't know how many times I have heard our CS say that we can't afford the "over allowed". So apparently there is some kind of kick back for center management when driver hours allowed is greater than driver hours worked.