Production Bonus

Frogger

My center has not been paying me for my production bonus. Is there any way of looking up my bonus from previous pay checks? My center manager is pushing the issue off. Is there a grievance that I can file, is so what section in the contract does it cover.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
My center has not been paying me for my production bonus. Is there any way of looking up my bonus from previous pay checks? My center manager is pushing the issue off. Is there a grievance that I can file, is so what section in the contract does it cover.
Bonus centers are for runner pusillanimous.

542thruNthru

Bonus centers are for runner pusillanimous.

True, but he is in a bonus center and should be paid like everyone else. He is not the reason his center is a bonus center and doesn't seem to be defending it. I know you are a knowledgeable member along with a few others that might be able to help with this.

I'm in a bonus center also. When I first started I was on a route that was easy to bonus. I wasn't being paid for it. Turns out they have to "check" some box so that the system recognizes your bonus time.

With that said, OP don't get sucked into the fantasy that bonus is a great thing. It's a rare thing to bonus when you are doing the route right. Don't become a slave to bonus by running and cutting corners. It will catch up to you in the end.

Don't know....but just takes 30 seconds for a sup to pull up your time card and put a "y" in the bonus box. For future paychecks.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
True, but he is in a bonus center and should be paid like everyone else. He is not the reason his center is a bonus center and doesn't seem to be defending it. I know you are a knowledgeable member along with a few others that might be able to help with this.

I'm in a bonus center also. When I first started I was on a route that was easy to bonus. I wasn't being paid for it. Turns out they have to "check" some box so that the system recognizes your bonus time.

With that said, OP don't get sucked into the fantasy that bonus is a great thing. It's a rare thing to bonus when you are doing the route right. Don't become a slave to bonus by running and cutting corners. It will catch up to you in the end.

Coming from a non-bonus region, and with most drivers being the total opposite of what would seem to be "bonus" territory (concerning worker mentality), it's hard to imagine what your center(s) are like. Only saying this in regards to the response you made.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Interesting question. Bonus center isn't in the Contract so is it a LOU with each Local involved? If not, would you have the right to grieve?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You can grieve payroll shortages for 90 days where I am.
Can't recall of hand if that's National or Supplemental language

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You can grieve payroll shortages for 90 days where I am.
Can't recall of hand if that's National or Supplemental language

In the Central Region, it's under Article 4 Maintenance of Standards.

Interesting question. Bonus center isn't in the Contract so is it a LOU with each Local involved? If not, would you have the right to grieve?

There is language in the Central Region.

You don't need to quote a specific Article.

File a grievance and just state "with any and all articles that may apply".

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have a grievance deadlocked to the State Panel, where the driver earned bonus, but it was taken away on the geise that it "was too much, due to the number of smalls he picked up.

Never was he informed that it was taken away, only finding out when he got his paycheck the following week.

At the Local level hearing the Company couldn't even tell us how many of his pickup pieces were "smalls".

Should be interesting, if we can get our inept BA to realize that we aren't recognizing the Company's stardards, rather the existence of a bonus program that was endorsed and sold to the membership by our Local Officers and Agents themselves.

The question in my mind, is can the Company arbitrarily, on a daily basis, change the parameters of the program without communicating the changes to the employee or the Local?

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
We have a grievance deadlocked to the State Panel, where the driver earned bonus, but it was taken away on the geise that it "was too much, due to the number of smalls he picked up.

Never was he informed that it was taken away, only finding out when he got his paycheck the following week.

At the Local level hearing the Company couldn't even tell us how many of his pickup pieces were "smalls".

Should be interesting, if we can get our inept BA to realize that we aren't recognizing the Company's stardards, rather the existence of a bonus program that was endorsed and sold to the membership by our Local Officers and Agents themselves.

The question in my mind, is can the Company arbitrarily, on a daily basis, change the parameters of the program without communicating the changes to the employee or the Local?

Probably be determined by the strength of your supplemental maintenance of standards language is my guess.

Over disciplined0123

Wtf is a production bonus That to me would cause a lot of problems if worded in our contract. Would start a war

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My understanding is that the specific language is an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. Bonus is entirely a UPS thing and the Union should not get involved because it could lead to the recognition of production standards. You would have to go up the chain within the company, then, if that fails, file a complaint with the Bureau of Labor and Industry, or whatever your state has.
Also, overtime pays better than bonus. The fact that some routes are easier to bonus on than others is proof that it really ought to be eliminated because there will always be pay disparity.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I've been waiting 28 years for it to catch up to me.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My understanding is that the specific language is an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. Bonus is entirely a UPS thing and the Union should not get involved because it could lead to the recognition of production standards. You would have to go up the chain within the company, then, if that fails, file a complaint with the Bureau of Labor and Industry, or whatever your state has.
Also, overtime pays better than bonus. The fact that some routes are easier to bonus on than others is proof that it really ought to be eliminated because there will always be pay disparity.
Not everywhere. Around here bonus pays the same as OT.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not everywhere. Around here bonus pays the same as OT.
It pays time and a half here, if your one of the 18% who scratches or better on a daily basis.

For those who don't chase the rabbit and works by the methods, overtime almost always pays way better than bonus.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

We had a kind of similar issue here. Had a driver get huge time bonus because of the international pick ups from an Amazon distribution center. He was getting about three to four hours of bonus because of the time allowance.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We had a kind of similar issue here. Had a driver get huge time bonus because of the international pick ups from an Amazon distribution center. He was getting about three to four hours of bonus because of the time allowance.
I don't see how we can keep the Company from changing future allowances, but how can we allow them to make the changes retroactive?

Personally, I think "bonus" is the scourge of my union contract and needs to be completely abolished in the upcoming contract.

But if it is going to exist, I find it completely unacceptable for the Company to attempt to change the rules after the game has already been played.

I mean really, the arrogance of the notion is crazy?

If that's how it works, shouldn't we get a "do over" when we have an accident?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have never seen bonus language in the master, but if anyone knows where it is I'd be interested in reading it. From what some of you are writing it sounds like it may be in some supplementals. And some places pay time and a half for bonus? I'm going to have to spend some time contemplating that one.
If you have bonus language in your supplemental then everyone who does not bonus because the allowances aren't even or fair between routes has grounds for a grievance. You should file every single day until the company can prove the allowances on every route are equal and that the pay is fair.