Profits over safety? LAX FedEx workers sue courier for allegedly ignoring complaints

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Profits over safety? LAX FedEx workers sue courier for allegedly ignoring complaints - My News LA

An aircraft technician and his boss who work at FedEx’s Los Angeles International Airport location are suing the courier giant for allegedly ignoring their complaints that the company put profits ahead of safety by not maintaining its aircraft consistent with FAA safety requirements.

Stanley Langevin and Mark Collins filed the whistleblower complaint Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court. Collins, who is black and also is Langevin’s supervisor, additionally alleges racial discrimination. The suit seeks unspecified damages.

MAKAVELI

Now why is this not surprising? It was only a matter of time until someone decided to spill the beans on FedEx and their safety or lack thereof practices.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But never underestimate their ability to step over a dollar to save a nickel.

Oh, yeah. They'll waste millions on something that everyone knew was a bad idea. That's what happens when your "leader" is surrounded by yes men who are afraid to tell him his ideas suck.

I've been to a few meetings with MDs and their bosses over the years. Everyone is afraid to ever say anything that might cause waves or hurt the precious feelings of one of the higher-ups, even if they know it's a retarded plan/idea/very expensive routing system that has never worked.

whenIgetthere

Oh, yeah. They'll waste millions on something that everyone knew was a bad idea. That's what happens when your "leader" is surrounded by yes men who are afraid to tell him his ideas suck.

I've been to a few meetings with MDs and their bosses over the years. Everyone is afraid to ever say anything that might cause waves or hurt the precious feelings of one of the higher-ups, even if they know it's a retarded plan/idea/very expensive routing system that has never worked.

Our MD was in recently, and one of the couriers called him out when he circled around questions without really answering. After the MD left, said courier was called into the SM's office because the MD was upset he was called out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our MD was in recently, and one of the couriers called him out when he circled around questions without really answering. After the MD left, said courier was called into the SM's office because the MD was upset he was called out.

They don't like to deviate from the script or ever answer a question out of the blue. It really is amazing, isn't it? You're basically presented a canned speech, and then there could be some Q and A, but it had better not be anything controversial like pay or benefits questions.

The SM probably got reamed for not telling his people that probing questions aren't tolerated.

Effing joke.

TeamLift

FedEx is all about safety, but only in words. When it comes to actually being safe, pinching a penny will always win-out.

Asked my buddy if he was going to the safety meeting on Thursday, he said hell no, I just take a picture of my truck, send it to the safety directors phone and say, what the hell did you miss on this one. This same driver was going down the road last week in his p700 when part of his front end fell off in the road, this week he heard a loud noise inside the cargo area, one of the shelves broke and was on the floor. Now he has to use a package to hold it up, good thing he hauls a lot of wine. None of these issues have been addressed by his contractor, in my opinion they are as bad or worse than FedEx for being cheap. Trucks are the lifeblood of this business, if you cannot afford to put nice safe equipment on the job, you shouldn't be a contractor. First thing I would do if I was in charge, all trucks past a certain age and mileage are out of here, hurts the company image seeing that garbage in a neighborhood, one guy asked me when I got out of my 600000 mile sprinter, is that thing going to leak oil on my driveway, nice.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Asked my buddy if he was going to the safety meeting on Thursday, he said hell no, I just take a picture of my truck, send it to the safety directors phone and say, what the hell did you miss on this one. This same driver was going down the road last week in his p700 when part of his front end fell off in the road, this week he heard a loud noise inside the cargo area, one of the shelves broke and was on the floor. Now he has to use a package to hold it up, good thing he hauls a lot of wine. None of these issues have been addressed by his contractor, in my opinion they are as bad or worse than FedEx for being cheap. Trucks are the lifeblood of this business, if you cannot afford to put nice safe equipment on the job, you shouldn't be a contractor. First thing I would do if I was in charge, all trucks past a certain age and mileage are out of here, hurts the company image seeing that garbage in a neighborhood, one guy asked me when I got out of my 600000 mile sprinter, is that thing going to leak oil on my driveway, nice.

The driver is at fault. He should have "anticipated the hazard " of part of the front end falling-off. I still see plenty of the original RPS-era vehicles being operated at Ground. Usually, the side vents are taped-over, the paint has faded to a cream color, and the old RPS logos are showing through. The bumpers sag, they burn oil, and just look worn-out, which I'm sure they are. I see very little evidence of any kind of maintenance, and yes, they are always running when I encounter them.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yeah, Ground has a good track record of vehicle theft and yet they're good at leaving the keys inside a vehicle in plain sight. Do that more than once at Express and you're fired. But hey, Ground uniforms must not provide any pockets for the keys. Either that or their keys weigh a ton.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, Ground has a good track record of vehicle theft and yet they're good at leaving the keys inside a vehicle in plain sight. Do that more than once at Express and you're fired. But hey, Ground uniforms must not provide any pockets for the keys. Either that or their keys weigh a ton.

I don't think they're smart enough to know the key goes in the ignition. A manager starts the truck at the beginning of the shift and then directs them to just keep it running so they don't get confused.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't think they're smart enough to know the key goes in the ignition. A manager starts the truck at the beginning of the shift and then directs them to just keep it running so they don't get confused.
That's quite a workload for a manager.