"Programs,Policies,and Practices"

OPTION3

This is a thread for people to post some of the Programs, Policies, and practices that are a thing of the past at ups…Good or bad. I'll start off with one… years ago we had things called TLA's…Talk Listen Act. A manager would sit down with you and actually listen to concerns you might have (company related)……Fairly informal, I never saw much of anything I said implemented but thought it was a fairly good "program"….Gone the way of the dodo. I was also told these were held (during postal shooting rampages years ago) to alleviate tension between management and hourlies..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
TL&As were conducted with every employee at least once a year.
There were follow-up forms that were turned into HR who then followed up to ensure the suggestions (id any) were followed up on and to ensure this was communicated back to the employee.
TLAs went the way of the dodo after industry deregulation, cost containment and the 97 strike.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I miss safe driving and service awards. They used to have some decent stuff and it was kind of nice to get an atta boy now and again.

Rico

Ah, yes. The floating black 6V flashlight with the UPS logo engraved on it. One thing I didn't get back in '97 was an exit interview. Just a note from my Metro saying to leave my uniforms and other UPS property on his desk. I kept my name tag. And one of those spring steel clipboard clips.

Retiredmgr

The days when managers and supervisors had to wear a suit everyday. Even when you came off car, you had to change back into your suit to exit the building.....that was tuff when you were trying to put panty hose on sweaty legs after a 90 degree day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ah, yes. The floating black 6V flashlight with the UPS logo engraved on it. One thing I didn't get back in '97 was an exit interview. Just a note from my Metro saying to leave my uniforms and other UPS property on his desk. I kept my name tag. And one of those spring steel clipboard clips.
Exit interviews are done via Internet these days.
You did not miss anything.

Name tags come in handy.

Rico

The name tag is lost in a desk drawer somewhere. The clip board clip, though, rocks. It slices, it dices, unlocks doors, holds things together. Like a Ginsu knife, but better.

Retiredmgr

I was a female hourly back in the
LAte 70's and 80's. The male management were notorious for hitting on the females. Remember there weren't many women at UPS then.