Progressive Constitutionalist versus Originalist Constitutionalist

El Correcto

god is dead
Wow, you’re straight out of 1956.

(It’s 2018)
Didn’t realize that private property means nothing to you. If someone wants to set the rules for being a patron of their business let them die on that hill. The free market will decide. Government building restrooms should be decided by representatives of the people. This isn’t a complex issue at all. It’s democracy and free markets.

BrownArmy

I don’t care what bathroom they use. That should be up to the business owner. It’s his property and his bathroom. The government doesn’t own it.

Or hers

Sooo, you would be happy with business owners not serving women?

That used to be real.

You would be happy with business owners not serving ‘the blacks’?

Randomly, that’s still real.

You would be happy with business owners not serving Muslims?

You would be happy with business owners not serving homosexuals?

What’s gonna make you happy?

The Constitution was put in place and part of it was to protect the ‘individual ‘.

Why do you hate the Constitution?

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
We already have laws against that.

Lots of hyperbole and misinformation, at the end of the day, if there’s a gender dysmorphic dude who should have been a woman, who are you to say?

Clue phone’s ringing, the trans (?) folk who just want to sit down/stand up when they pee, or whatever, they’re just looking for acceptance, and probably a normalization of their experience.

Bathrooms are the new water fountains?
What laws do we have against that? They want you to be able to use the bathroom of your “gender identity”. It’s not like it’s just people that have had the actual sex change operation. If you felt like a woman tomorrow you would be able to use any women’s room you wanted. If someone tried to stop you because it would be obviously friend’ed up, they would be discriminating against you.

El Correcto

god is dead

That used to be real.

The Constitution was put in place and part of it was to protect the ‘individual ‘.

I would absolutely support their right to be bigots and would absolutely voice my opposition to their beliefs or stance by not supporting their business.

El Correcto

god is dead

That used to be real.

Freedom and choice would make me happy. I’d love to see less regulation and frivolous lawsuits. You do realize I’m a sexual minority myself, I don’t mind if some business owner tells me we don’t serve gays here. I wouldn’t want a bigot to get my money anyways.

BrownArmy

I would absolutely support their right to be bigots and would absolutely voice my opposition to their beliefs or stance by not supporting their business.

But, that’s not quite how it works.

Seems to me you’re A-OK with segregation.

Let’s try this:

Can ‘the blacks’ get gas at the gas station and use the restroom?

Take your time...

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire

That used to be real.

You shouldn’t be able to make a private business owner serve anyone he doesn’t want to. You don’t have a right to his labor. If a business owner didn’t serve women I don’t see how he would be in business for very long. Cutting out half of your potential customers would be a horrible business decision and the market would fix that by itself.

BrownArmy

Freedom and choice would make me happy. I’d love to see less regulation and frivolous lawsuits. You do realize I’m a sexual minority myself, I don’t mind if some business owner tells me we don’t serve gays here. I wouldn’t want a bigot to get my money anyways.

I had no idea you were a ‘sexual minority’, you surely don’t talk like one.

In either case, I feel the same way, if I wanted to get gay-married and one bigot wouldn’t make me a cake, I’d go somewhere else.

Except, that’s not how civilization moves forward.

El Correcto

god is dead
But, that’s not quite how it works.

Seems to me you’re A-OK with segregation.

Let’s try this:

Can ‘the blacks’ get gas at the gas station and use the restroom?

Take your time...
You are going in circles, you know how I feel about discrimination and businesses. I feel the free market should settle that debate. Will bigots thrive in a free market is the real question and I believe the people will answer it.

BrownArmy

You shouldn’t be able to make a private business owner serve anyone he doesn’t want to. You don’t have a right to his labor. If a business owner didn’t serve women I don’t see how he would be in business for very long. Cutting out half of your potential customers would be a horrible business decision and the market would fix that by itself.

But, what?

You’re OK in theory that a business owner could refuse women/blacks/gays/muslims/Catholics/single-mothers?

And the remedy is that high-minded people like yourself just wouldn’t patronize that establishment?

Please.

El Correcto

god is dead
But, what?

You’re OK in theory that a business owner could refuse women/blacks/gays/muslims/Catholics/single-mothers?

And the remedy is that high-minded people like yourself just wouldn’t patronize that establishment?

Please.
Would you buy something from a bigot?

What if they have no conservatives on their front door? You might consider it right?

BrownArmy

You are going in circles, you know how I feel about discrimination and businesses. I feel the free market should settle that debate. Will bigots thrive in a free market is the real question and I believe the people will answer it.

I’m actually not sure how you feel about discrimination.

Perhaps you want ‘market-forces’ to fix the problem.

We’ve tried that, it took the Supreme Court and the National Guard so little black boys and girls could GO TO PUBLIC SCHOOL.

I know Government isn’t the solution, but sometimes you have to drop the hammer...

El Correcto

god is dead
I believe in people’s freedoms and rights. This includes business owner, Christians and fetuses. Something liberals don’t understand.