PROJECT DRAGON

coming soon to a location near you. need any and all info anyone has heard about this program. basic premise is to move dispatchers back into the stations they service. for instance the stations i serve i am located in the middle right now, i may have to move to the one that is close to 60 miles away from current location this will put me over 100 miles from the other location. the way it was presented to me was i take the position or its offered to the next senior person behind me and he his second shift, if he accepts i get his open shift that is left over. even if we both turn it down it was hinted that he would be forced to go so either way we get the shaft here one way or the other. also need to know if there is a mileage limit on how far you can be forced to drive if your position is moved. i will search policy next week but was hoping someone here knows thanks p.s. i do have other options if push comes to shove as they say please stay on topic as much as possible

floridays

coming soon to a location near you. need any and all info anyone has heard about this program. basic premise is to move dispatchers back into the stations they service. for instance the stations i serve i am located in the middle right now, i may have to move to the one that is close to 60 miles away from current location this will put me over 100 miles from the other location. the way it was presented to me was i take the position or its offered to the next senior person behind me and he his second shift, if he accepts i get his open shift that is left over. even if we both turn it down it was hinted that he would be forced to go so either way we get the shaft here one way or the other. also need to know if there is a mileage limit on how far you can be forced to drive if your position is moved. i will search policy next week but was hoping someone here knows thanks p.s. i do have other options if push comes to shove as they say please stay on topic as much as possible
To be clear, you are currently a dispatcher.
Yes or No?

floridays

been in position over 5 years and am currently am m-fr
I don't know policy.

I am aware of labor law however, policy is just that, it is not binding without a contract, in less discrimination can be asserted.
If you are not under contract they can move your position and you will fill it at the new work place or resign your position, if they choose to deal like that. They are under no obligation to pay mileage or any per diem for working out of town under those circumstances.
If no contract, you work at will, theirs and yours.
Policy is just that, it can be changed daily, if there is one that deals directly with this type of circumstance.

They hold the cards.

Maui

The policy is that you can be moved up to 50 miles from your current domiciled location.

Moving within a metro area isn't so bad and having a dispatcher in the station is better than being dispatched from hundreds of miles away.

floridays

The policy is that you can be moved up to 50 miles from your current domiciled location.

Moving within a metro area isn't so bad and having a dispatcher in the station is better than being dispatched from hundreds of miles away.
And if the job moves but he declines, per policy what happens?
Per policy, will they move him, (personal belongings, reimburse on any housing associated loss?)
I know the answer as well as you do. It is no.
Decline the move, 90 days to find an open position. That is policy.

El Morado Diablo

Interesting - they are going to be doing this everywhere?

When I first started we had a dispatcher in our station/office. The position was cancelled when they moved all the dispatchers to the ramp that serves our market. He didn't want to move so he was forced to take a job as a courier to stay with the company.

Our current dispatcher handles two stations which are nearly 200 miles from the ramp and a little more than half that from each other. Moving would definitely put him in a bind. Housing is hard to find and more expensive than the ramp location.

Buhryein

I know the dispatchers here have been working from home, this week our dispatcher moved their stuff into our building.

As stated before regardless of the policy of distance moved what fedex will do is "offer you a position, not force you to take it"

If you decline that's on you, and if your current position is dissolved it was your choice not to take the new one that was offered (even if it were in another state) and thus your choice to find an open position to your liking.

fedx

Extra Large Package
They moving your job 60 miles away is an unnecessary burden on you, so you should be able to get unemployment benefits. As others have said, the power is in their hands. All you can do is quit and get unemployment at best.

Maui

And if the job moves but he declines, per policy what happens?
Per policy, will they move him, (personal belongings, reimburse on any housing associated loss?)
I know the answer as well as you do. It is no.
Decline the move, 90 days to find an open position. That is policy.
You would be displaced. However, I don’t think that’s the intention here. I’m not aware of any dispatcher that has been displaced when they’ve moved into stations. My dispatch manager wouldn’t do that, but would fill the next opening into the building.

I’ve not heard of a project that has that intention.

bacha29

I don't know policy.

I am aware of labor law however, policy is just that, it is not binding without a contract, in less discrimination can be asserted.
If you are not under contract they can move your position and you will fill it at the new work place or resign your position, if they choose to deal like that. They are under no obligation to pay mileage or any per diem for working out of town under those circumstances.
If no contract, you work at will, theirs and yours.
Policy is just that, it can be changed daily, if there is one that deals directly with this type of circumstance.

They hold the cards.
Thank you. NLP's situation is another prime example of what we've been saying all along..... Nothing's Binding.... All he needs to do is to take his little purple book.... "The Sayings Of Fat Freddy"... toss it in the trash can.... From the employees standpoint whatever language that book contains means absolutely nothing unless he/she is prepared to litigate on the basis of that language and can somehow prevail.

SmithBarney

Our dispatcher always threatens to visit us... I'm pretty sure having them in the station these days might not be good, too many mistakes happen daily due to dispatch error. Also they cover more than 2 stations, so which station are they going to?

Star B

White Lightening
Omg. I hope this doesn’t happen. I dislike most of our dispatchers and don’t want to be anywhere near them.
yea... but why do you dislike them?

we have dispatchers in-house and we love them all -- they get to know us more than a few lines of text on the screen, we get to know them more than their signature, we pass knowledge while their refilling their coffee IV... they bitch at us about their challenges, we bitch at them about ours, in the end, everyone learns how to make life easier.