Promotion in company..hope this isnt a common repeat thread..

MystOne

Let me first say I hope im not posting a topic discussed here to much and ive overlooked it. I am intrested in working with ups as a driver. I think pretty much all locations are hiring part time package handlers. Is this known as a common entry job into further areas of ups? I am wondering how long it would take for other oportunities in the company. I need a job that I can have for the rest of my life. UPS sounds like a good company to be with. I currently work for Wal-Mart and I work my ass off unloading trucks and wondered if ups could offer a faster rate of promotion. I really hope you guys can give me positive feedback.

Thanks M1:happy2:

You might've have overlooked the search button. I wouldn't give it a second thought, move from Wal-Mart to UPS. You'll be making 10 in around 90 days and be getting free benefits, as long as you're hired before August I believe. After that you have to wait 1 year from date of hire to start receiving benifits. You wont get as many hours, but you can always double shift. UPS is harder, but wal-mart is gay. As far as progression, wait for a driver to respond.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You can work at both places. UPS will hire you only part time 99% of the time. So you would need that other job to supplement your income. Unless you go to college that is. Time rates to full time differ at every building

drewed

Shankman
Generally everyone gets their start at UPS as a pt package handler, unless you have management exp, you could go in as a sup. Per the contract 1/6 of new drivers are either hired off the street or a pt sup. If your hopes are to e a driver for UPS you're going to be working at walmart for a while to supplment. Times range widely in different parts of the country, some it can take under a year and others it can be over 10, I belive the average is 5-7.

MystOne

Generally everyone gets their start at UPS as a pt package handler, unless you have management exp, you could go in as a sup. Per the contract 1/6 of new drivers are either hired off the street or a pt sup. If your hopes are to e a driver for UPS you're going to be working at walmart for a while to supplment. Times range widely in different parts of the country, some it can take under a year and others it can be over 10, I belive the average is 5-7.

5-7 years or months to be a driver?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I, BBAG, have absolutely nothing to say on this topic.

Years. If it was months there would be no one to load/unload/sort the packages now would there. :/

Side note to that - I started with 8 other PT unloaders. Only me & one other are still there.

Two weeks later another 10 started. Only 3 of those are still there.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Let me first say I hope im not posting a topic discussed here to much and ive overlooked it. I am intrested in working with ups as a driver. I think pretty much all locations are hiring part time package handlers. Is this known as a common entry job into further areas of ups? I am wondering how long it would take for other oportunities in the company. I need a job that I can have for the rest of my life. UPS sounds like a good company to be with. I currently work for Wal-Mart and I work my ass off unloading trucks and wondered if ups could offer a faster rate of promotion. I really hope you guys can give me positive feedback.

Thanks M1:happy2:

Touchy subject.

First off, nothing is "free" like some mention.

You have to pay into the union, generally 25$ weekly out of your check for 6 months or so. Once you're into the union, you pay 49$ monthly for benefits (union dues)

There are generally 2 ways to be promoted.

First is part-time supervision (which most of the college kids do). It's not a fun position to be in, and start around 13.20/hr, at least up this way. Generally 5-6 hour days/nights. Even with a college degree part-time supervision doesn't pay much, that is generally what I have been told by supervisors and those who were canidates (including myself).

Going full-time supervision or managing beyond there is very difficult to get into because there's often many many other candidates before you with more experience.

Second is going full-time driving. This is difficult as there's usually a wait list for full-time. Might be 6 months, might be 6 years. It all varies from center to center, size of center, length of the seniority list of people waiting to drive.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Touchy subject.

First off, nothing is "free" like some mention.

You have to pay into the union, generally 25$ weekly out of your check for 6 months or so. Once you're into the union, you pay 49$ monthly for benefits (union dues)

There are generally 2 ways to be promoted.

First is part-time supervision (which most of the college kids do). It's not a fun position to be in, and start around 13.20/hr, at least up this way. Generally 5-6 hour days/nights. Even with a college degree part-time supervision doesn't pay much, that is generally what I have been told by supervisors and those who were canidates (including myself).

Going full-time supervision or managing beyond there is very difficult to get into because there's often many many other candidates before you with more experience.

Second is going full-time driving. This is difficult as there's usually a wait list for full-time. Might be 6 months, might be 6 years. It all varies from center to center, size of center, length of the seniority list of people waiting to drive.

This must vary per local. Our monthly dues are $20 and the initial was $200.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What do you mean our monthly dues??? :dead:It depends how much you make hourly times 3 or 3 1/2 hours. That is how you figure out your union dues for each month.

Union dues are your hourly wage times a negotiated figure--for us, it is 3, so we pay $85/month (FT driver) for the "privilege" of being in the Union. Union dues can be deducted from your taxes if you itemize.

rocket man

at first really try to work pt at both companys.looking for jobs of any kind at this timeis not easy Because if you leave ups in a few weeks your out of both. not best times to be job hopping good luck in your choice a ft driver not a typist.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

isn't that what i said?

Not really--you said "What do you mean our monthly dues??? :dead:It depends how much you make hourly times 3 or 3 1/2 hours. That is how you figure out your union dues for each month. " You based your union dues upon the number of hours that you work each day. Union dues are based upon your hourly wage which is then multiplied by a negotiated number paid monthly.

For FT drivers, $28.20 X 3 (this is the multiplier negotiated by NYS Teamsters) = $84.60 which they round up to $85. The multiplier may vary from local to local. I can recall the multiplier being 2 when I first started, then it went to 2 1/2 and now it is at 3, so we get a double whammy whenever we get both a pay raise and they increase the multiplier.

barrycold

Not really--you said "What do you mean our monthly dues??? :dead:It depends how much you make hourly times 3 or 3 1/2 hours. That is how you figure out your union dues for each month. " You based your union dues upon the number of hours that you work each day. Union dues are based upon your hourly wage which is then multiplied by a negotiated number paid monthly.

Same thing. If I didn't say 3 or 3 1/2 hours would you still correct me? I didn't base it out how many hours I work each day. HOURLY X 3 hours? It's the same.

barrycold

For FT drivers, $28.20 X 3 (this is the multiplier negotiated by NYS Teamsters) = $84.60 which they round up to $85. The multiplier may vary from local to local. I can recall the multiplier being 2 when I first started, then it went to 2 1/2 and now it is at 3, so we get a double whammy whenever we get both a pay raise and they increase the multiplier.

People care don't care how much union dues were when you started. That's dinosaur days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

People care don't care how much union dues were when you started. That's dinosaur days.

Those "dinosaur days" provided the security that you have today, much the same as the dinosaurs before me provided the security that I enjoy.

Your equation was wrong and I simply corrected you. Maybe if you took the time to preview your post before submitting it you would have had a chance to correct your error--you didn't, so I did it for you.

This is what you said in your "corrected" version:

"Same thing. If I didn't say 3 or 3 1/2 hours would you still correct me? I didn't base it out how many hours I work each day. HOURLY X 3 hours? It's the same."

It is not the same!!! HOURLY X 3 hours is not the same. Union dues has nothing to do with how many hours you work. It is simply your hourly wage multiplied by a negotiated figure paid monthly.

Perhaps you can get one of your "dinosaurs" at your center to explain it to you so that you can understand.

drewed

Shankman
Those "dinosaur days" provided the security that you have today, much the same as the dinosaurs before me provided the security that I enjoy.

Your equation was wrong and I simply corrected you. Maybe if you took the time to preview your post before submitting it you would have had a chance to correct your error--you didn't, so I did it for you.

"Same thing. If I didn't say 3 or 3 1/2 hours would you still correct me? I didn't base it out how many hours I work each day. HOURLY X 3 hours? It's the same."

It is not the same!!! HOURLY X 3 hours is not the same. Union dues has nothing to do with how many hours you work. It is simply your hourly wage multiplied by a negotiated figure paid monthly.

Perhaps you can get one of your "dinosaurs" at your center to explain it to you so that you can understand.
see our dues work all dif up here........ .45(pt) or i believe .75(ft) an hour then 20 dollars a month for pt and i think its 60 for ft.... then the initiation fee is 75 for pt and i think 200 for ft

barrycold

when i said hourly....then that meant hourly wage....am i right? I didn't say anything about how many hours worked. 3 hours is the same as 3 times. That is the language I was told by my shop steward.